Injury Report: Ilya Mikheyev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A wrist injury to a player who is already has a bad hand and is struggling with his finish is not a good sign.

Mikheyev asked for a trade this summer and the Leafs said "no, because they needed him, and at his price point" to fill out the LW side.

I wonder who they plan on replacing him with in the top 6 where he was playing beside Tavares? Likely Bunting moves up now and they bottom fill the roster.

Reactions: Ciao

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Mikheyev asked for a trade this summer and the Leafs said "no, because they needed him, and at his price point" to fill out the LW side.

I wonder who they plan on replacing him with in the top 6 where he was playing beside Tavares? Likely Bunting moves up now and they bottom fill the roster.

To me there isn't a lot of distance between Engvall and Mikheyev.

Not to be cruel but if this allows us to keep Engvall and have a spare F and D it allows for greater roster flexibility.
People were talking about getting Spezza and Simmonds in and out of the line-up.
Not sure how we could have done this without exposing each to waivers before this injury.

also

Lily can stay with the big team and be on a rotation with Holl, Dermott and Sandin as required.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
To me there isn't a lot of distance between Engvall and Mikheyev.

Not to be cruel but if this allows us to keep Engvall and have a spare F and D it allows for greater roster flexibility.
People were talking about getting Spezza and Simmonds in and out of the line-up.
Not sure how we could have done this without exposing each to waivers before this injury.

also

Lily can stay with the big team and be on a rotation with Holl, Dermott and Sandin as required.

I agree that neither one are as effective as they could be with the tools they have. the difference I see between them is that, to this point, Mikheyev seemed to have the potential to take advantage of them.... but it's been a good camp for both so far. Really tough luck for Mikheyev - seemed like he was starting to turn a corner.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I feel bad for him, but as others have stated, this may benefit the club in the short term by not having to expose the likes of Brooks and Engvall on waivers.

In the interim, we should have more than enough depth to compensate for his absence.

Reactions: NinjaKick and Ciao

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Feel terrible for the person. He's had a rough go.

He should have been traded when he requested a trade. He's faster than Engvall but that's about the only thing he does better than Engvall. Engvall is also cheaper and can finish.

This ultimately works out better for the team and allows Brooks/Liljegren to stay with the team. I imagine Sandin/Liljegren will be paper yo-yo'd to the Marlies when they want to get Semyonov in.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I agree that neither one are as effective as they could be with the tools they have. the difference I see between them is that, to this point, Mikheyev seemed to have the potential to take advantage of them.... but it's been a good camp for both so far. Really tough luck for Mikheyev - seemed like he was starting to turn a corner.
True, looked like his mentality on offense was more confident, but luckily Engvall looks to be turning the corner too. He's got a couple snipes so far in the preseason and his compete level seems to have risen over last year

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Question:

Let's pretend Mikheyev's injury didn't happen. What are the chances of him staying in the Top 6? How many chances would Keefe give him to find his scoring touch? 5 or 10 games? Would Keefe even give him the minimum 5 games?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Question:

Let's pretend Mikheyev's injury didn't happen. What are the chances of him staying in the Top 6? How many chances would Keefe give him to find his scoring touch? 5 or 10 games? Would Keefe even give him the minimum 5 games?

Answer

Who cares.

It's not happening, so not worth the make-believe discussion.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brooks and Engvall are saved from the waiver wire. By the time Mikheyev is back, someone else could be out. It could be awhile before they have to actually trim the roster.

It's unfortunate for Mikheyev individually but the ability to keep the roster together longer without the waiver threat is a bit of a silver lining for the group. Kicks the can down the road a bit. What's ironic is Engvall has been scoring a number of goals in pre-season, but we really needed Mikheyev to step up and do that to justify the promotion he wanted. Oh well, life is unfair.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Question:

I would have kept him in the top 6 to test it out for a good amount of time, I think he is a useful player and he looked like he had better vision and used his linemates better in pre-season, I think he could have had a good year with Tavares/Nylander.

It also allows someone like Bunting (who I think has more of a scoring touch) to be more important on another line because let's be honest, he was just going to be a glorified grinder with Tavares/Nylander.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Sucks but weirdly works out perfectly for us.

Lets us keep both Engvall and Lilly up, and gets Bunting up onto the Tavares line where he's probably a better option than mikky.

Edit: didn't even realize that LTIR would let us keep Brooksie too. Weirdly perfect injury as bad as that sounds.
I don't see how he has to miss any time....he doesn't use his hands anyway. :D

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Not really sure why it keeps being glossed over that Mikheyev said the trade report wasn’t true.
Friedman said something to the tune of negotiations went bad and he likely won't be re-signed after this contract when he originally re-signed. Now he says he asked for a trade the summer after citing usage and role.

He can deny it all he wants, I believe Friedman.

Reactions: Ciao

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Friedman said something to the tune of negotiations went bad and he likely won't be re-signed after this contract when he originally re-signed. Now he says he asked for a trade the summer after citing usage and role.

He can deny it all he wants, I believe Friedman.

friedman talks a lot of shit. He hasn’t given us any reason to believe half of it. Mikheyev is a good player, but hardly replaceable at his salary. Seems doubtful they’d outright refuse to move him if he said he wanted out

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
friedman talks a lot of shit. He hasn’t given us any reason to believe half of it. Mikheyev is a good player, but hardly replaceable at his salary. Seems doubtful they’d outright refuse to move him if he said he wanted out
I doubt Mikheyev wanted to go into detail about why he wants to leave. He had good reason to cover it up.

I see less reason for Friedman to target Mikheyev over multiple seasons over his dislike of how he's been handled in Toronto.

I think Mikheyev originally wanted a Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot contract because he outplayed them and there was already precedent set. But, he didn't have a big enough sample size and he was coming off a serious injury, so they squeezed him down to a much cheaper deal to offset cap issues. Which is fair, but not in the eyes of Mikheyev it appears. So, he signed, he only had so many rights, but held a grudge. Then, he struggled to score because of his wrist injury and wasn't given PP time, he was turned into a defensive zone, PK player without good offensive options. He ended up with low scoring totals and if he were to do it again this year instead of say 45 points in a different situation, he would be missing out on millions in his prime. After in his mind thinking he was squeezed on his original deal.

I think the Leafs value his D/PK game, speed, contract and he still could bring his game back up to his first year level. I think they're trying to compete and don't really care if he comes back next year. They like his blanket like effect on the defensive side of the game and are planning to use him as an own rental over gaining draft capital.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad