Ilya Mikheyev asked for a trade

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The balls on this guy to demand a bigger role when he can't shoot anymore. Maybe if you weren't flubbing chances at rookie Hyman levels you would get more opportunities.

I'd deal him to open up a spot for Robertson/Anderson. If a core player demands a trade, you try to work it out. If a role player does, GTFO

It didn't matter what he was going to do or how much time he had. He was never going to score in the playoffs.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Super fast speed, super stone hands. He was abysmal last season, even moreso in the playoffs. He wants more ice time, but doesn't want to earn it with good performances.

I like his speed, but he has zero offensive instincts. Makes too much money for what he brings.

Good riddance hopefully.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
And quite frankly he looked very soft and ineffective in the playoffs.

I was ok with giving him another shot but if he's gonna go public with his trade desires, be done with him. He's not anything special.

I think this is mainly about $$$. If he plays 3-4th line minutes this season when he is set to become a UFA next year...it will cost him a lot of money (even though he doesn't really score when he plays with 1st-2nd line players)... So this is more financial than anything else on his part IMO. I would trade him because he is gone next year for nothing for sure. He either has a breakout season and we cannot afford him...or he sucks again and blames the low ice time and playing with Pierre for his shortcomings. Get what you can for him now is what I would do.

Reactions: geo25

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I guess Dubas will just have to try harder to make Mik happy.
Its a shame Dubas falls in love with his players....he should be more ruthless & separate his feelings for a player versus their actual value to the team a la Lou, Rutherford etc

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Micheyev is a solid player. Very strong 2 way capabilities. I am extremely confused how he see's himself as something better than a 14min/game winger though. He created a ton of chances last year, more than you'd expect from someone in his role, but he didn't finish any of them. I do expect that to improve, but not to a level that screams top 6. He had the worst shooting percentage on the team among the forward group, and was given the same amount of ice as Kerfoot.

This is extremely confusing to me. I love what he brings, but the idea of putting him in the top 6 because that's what he feels he is, is a complete joke. I am assuming things have been patched up, and the fact that they brought Semyonov in might make things a bit easier. Being the only Russian on the team once Barabanov left was probably hard for him as well. I am going to choose to not look too deep into this, but if there are any signs of being a pouty bitch at any point in camp/season then he's gotta go

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I've never seen a player get as many chances and miss them so badly before. We have no LW depth, I personally don't care for him as a player, he's meh average. But sadly we don't have anyone capable of playing in the top 6 effectively.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Its a shame Dubas falls in love with his players....he should be more ruthless & separate his feelings for a player versus their actual value to the team a la Lou, Rutherford etc
Yes Lou is exactly the type of GM who knows how to separate business from his own personal feelings towards a player.

Also Lou:

Matt Martin, Zach Parise, Leo Komorov, Andy Greene, Travis Zajac...etc

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
That wrist injury really missed up any shooting skill Mikheyev had. I can’t imagine he has that much value around the league.

Reactions: Ciao

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Did his production fall off because Keefe utilized him less from the one season to the next? Or, did Mikheyev see lesser minutes this time around because of that drop in production? Injury definitely played its part. Fair enough to say that his first season with the team wasn't the biggest of sample sizes either.

Hyman's departure should end up doing wonders for someone's playing time. However, Mikheyev is also going to be in his walk year. While I wouldn't exactly be looking to move him, the reality is that he might not be long for the team.

Last edited:

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Maybe he's seeing the writing on the wall with some of the new additions to the team.
If he isn’t confident he can win ice time in this forward group, I don’t think he has the mental make-up to be a pro athlete. Confidence with borderline arrogance and cockiness is very much needed.

I think he realizes the coach is in over his head and the GM is a snowflake. I don’t blame him for wanting no part of it.

Problem for him is that he hasn’t played very well so nobody is going to give much to acquire him.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
If he ever gets meaner on opposing players, guy is a gem....
Leopards don’t change their spots. He isn’t that type of player and never will be.

He can be effective playing his own game if he could finish a few more chances. If he could do that, I think most wouldn’t worry about his lack of physicality because he does most everything else pretty well.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Timing also seems weird how this is being leaked right now. Wherein if things have been patched up between the team and Micheyev, why did this need to become public?

Are they trying to use the media to generate trade interest league wide? and by stating we didn't entertain his requests lets the prospective teams know he cannot be had for free?

Maybe they like what they see from Nick Robertson at the Dev camp and see Mikheyev as expendable?

Maybe he was looking at Barabanov's impact in SJ after he left and thinks that could be him. Who knows. This whole storyline makes zero sense to me.

Here I am reading too much into this, just like I said I wouldn't do... You win MLSE

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This is more about his defensive and PK ability than LW depth. Engvall can replace him in all offensive regards, but having to replace 2 two-way forwards and half of our PK forwards was not going to happen.

Reactions: fahad203

Mr Papagoergyo

Feb 17, 2019
Very odd, He realizes hes not worth much.

If he can get back to what he was doing might get some value.
We need the Soup who once raced Mcdavid and kept up suprisingly.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Mikheyev should be traded.

We could recover some picks for him. Opens up a spot in the bottom 6. If he has a bad year this year, he's going to walk as he already wants out. If he has a good year, he's going to walk because we won't be able to afford him.

He should be traded by the end of camp. He likely wont be, though.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Mikheyev should be traded.

We could recover some picks for him. Opens up a spot in the bottom 6. If he has a bad year this year, he's going to walk as he already wants out. If he has a good year, he's going to walk because we won't be able to afford him.

He should be traded by the end of camp. He likely wont be, though.
I don't think he will be moved
Conversation

Lance Hornby
@sunhornby

Agent Daniel Milstein is not commenting this morning on a report from
@FriedgeHNIC that Ilya Mikheyev requested a trade at the end of last season, but was then assured by the Leafs he remains a big part of their '21-22 plans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad