Ilya Mikheyev asked for a trade

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Ilya Mikheyev asked for a trade

The Leafs said no.

Neither GM Kyle Dubas nor agent Dan Milstein were willing to comment. At issue appears to be role and ice-time, heading into the final year of his contract. His 14:13 per game last season was eighth among Toronto forwards. Mikheyev’s impressive 23-point, 39-game rookie season was cut short by an accidental — but serious — skate cut to his wrist. (Dubas stayed with him in hospital after the team returned from New Jersey to Toronto.) He had seven goals and 17 points in 2020-21, going pointless in the playoffs. He’s a talented guy, and if he could get his shooting percentage higher (6.5 last season), it could be a real breakthrough for him and the team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They said no - good for them. I always liked soupy, wouldn't surprise me the least bit if he had a great season.

Reactions: Kurtz

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
They said no - good for them. I always liked soupy, wouldn't surprise me the least bit if he had a great season.

I agree, he could have a great season. Especially since both top 6 LW spots are up for grabs.

However, it also wouldn't surprise me if he was traded or waived at some point. Mikheyev was not impressive at any point last season. He wants a bigger role but could end up on a defensive 3rd line. That doesn't sound promising if he already wanted out.

If Mikheyev can't lock down a top 6 spot, I'd give him away to make room on the roster for Robertson.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
He looks lost in the o zone. His only real great threat his rookie season was on breakouts which seemed to have dried up. I had high hopes for him, really liked him, but his poor play last year and failure to developed and a trade request really hurts his value. Hope he works harder this year. Needs to bring back some of the grinding intensity and have some confidence with the puck to be more than a 4th liner.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If a guy wants out you move him immediately.
Does the ingrate forget about Dubas sitting bedside with him for days? Dubas remembers, breaks his heart.

Honestly if gone would anyone notice?

I guess Dubas will just have to try harder to make Mik happy.

Reactions: yubbers and ToneDog

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Shocking the same people are already ragging on Dubas for no reason...

I can see the Leafs trying him in a bigger role to start, and if he does not succeed in the first part of the season, move on from him and try Robertson/Anderson/Brooks/Engvall/etc...

I think they see the potential in Mikheyev, it just appeared his wrist was not 100%, I am sure that is not a quick rehab, maybe he will look a little more like year one Mikheyev and be a good player in our top 6.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I will always be reminded of this when I hear his name.

202760230_807621849890373_8322756185136711065_n.png

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He played with Tavares last eyar and with Hyman. He still couldn't produce
He had like chances after chances and missed them all

Dude has no points in last 13 playoff games

Good player still, good person by the looks of it. Frankly speaking, I think he has enough with Keefe
Maybe he feels Keefe is not a good coach, which I also feel the same way

Most players give up on their coach first before they give up on the team

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I thought in the playoffs he would skate all over the Habs and control possession but I don’t recall him standing out in any way. Probably would miss him in the regular season though if he is moved.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I thought in the playoffs he would skate all over the Habs and control possession but I don’t recall him standing out in any way. Probably would miss him in the regular season though if he is moved.

Other than that one series against the Oilers, he didn't do much in regular season either
For someone who has great speed, he doesn't forecheck hard enough or use his size to his advantage

It's almost a breakaway or nothing from him

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
0 points in 12 playoff games (if you count the qualifier)
3-4 of those games he had JT and Marner as linemates

The second someone indicates they don't want to be in your organization, you move on.

Chicago had Frolik, who had the draft pedigree and Kruger who was a stud offensively in Sweden and they were fantastic food soldiers. They knew their role, never complained and the team had success. Seemingly every player who comes to Toronto thinks they're a star.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Dubas was very accomodating to Mikko Lehtonen when he didn't need to be and could've kept him for playoff insurance (and I'd argue his offense on the PP could've benefited us but different story). He's been 'accomodating' of other European players in the past.

When you make yourself 'soft' or whatever the word is, don't be surprised when others try to then take advantage of it.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
These FAs from Europe don't tend to stay long with us.

Didn't Dubas stay in hospital with him?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Scotty Mac says Mik wants to play in the top 6, maybe he was promised such a roll and it is why he chose Toronto. If he wants out, you gotta move him.

It’s likely that Mikheyev may get that chance this year.

We don’t really have any definite people to play the top 6 roles.

Bunting, Kase, Ritchie, Mikheyev, Kerfoot, will likely all get looks within the top 6

I mean, this seems that Mikheyev likely didn’t like playing on the fourth line at times this year, and his agent and Dubas had a conversation that if that’s the plan, he’d rather be traded, and Dubas spoke of how he’ll more opportunity.

Sometimes people think a player asking to be traded is this massive insult to the team, and means they hate the city and it’s beyond repair, and the agent gives a stunner to the GM and flips him off, when it’s not the case.

trade requests need to result in some form of change, but it doesn’t need to result in a trade of the player

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dubas was very accomodating to Mikko Lehtonen when he didn't need to be and could've kept him for playoff insurance (and I'd argue his offense on the PP could've benefited us but different story). He's been 'accomodating' of other European players in the past.

When you make yourself 'soft' or whatever the word is, don't be surprised when others try to then take advantage of it.

Accommodating players that want a better opportunity is being soft? You do know that every GM goes through these situations and sometimes often and for all kinds of reasons. From Lamoriello to Wilson to Poile to Murray.

What is being taken advantage of here exactly? Seems like a player that just wants a bigger opportunity and the Leafs probably want to give him that opportunity unlike someone like Lehtonen that really didn't show much promise in his stints.

I'm a fan of Mikheyev and think he's a good player but this is a weird report. He's had many opportunities and he's been given a lot of chances higher in the lineup. He'll have a pretty wide open chance to take over a big role this season.

Reactions: Lauro and Kurtz

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Trade him now, he's a UFA at season's end.

Like I said in the other thread, he was given multiple endorsement deals here, was babied after his wrist injury and for the most part has been given prime opportunity (2nd/3rd line consistently) despite being a horrible finisher. Less than two years in and he requests a trade? Run with Engvall in his spot.

The second a role player like this indicates they want out, move them to a dumpster fire team with more openings on the wing.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The balls on this guy to demand a bigger role when he can't shoot anymore. Maybe if you weren't flubbing chances at rookie Hyman levels you would get more opportunities.

I'd deal him to open up a spot for Robertson/Anderson. If a core player demands a trade, you can try to work it out. But if a role player does, GTFO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad