Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
If Lebron or Jordan or Gretzky were beating/raping people no one would care. Kobe, Rothelsburger, Kane anyone? It's all about how good the player is. Voynov doesn't get another chance, he's not good enough.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
If Lebron or Jordan or Gretzky were beating/raping people no one would care. Kobe, Rothelsburger, Kane anyone? It's all about how good the player is. Voynov doesn't get another chance, he's not good enough.
Firstly, even in the age of #metoo, it has to be said that there are still varying degrees of difference between the allegations against those players and what Voynov is known to have done.

Secondly, I for one, would care. I’m glad none of those players, in particular Rothlesberger and Kane, have ever played on any of my teams

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I’m for a ranger signing at 2 years . Should help recruiting Russians and give Namestnikov and Buch a mentor

Kreider , Kovalchuk , Spooner, Vesey at LW

Namestnikov is already very well established in North America, and Buch is probably not far behind. They would both probably cringe a little at being told that they needed a mentor right now.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I just don't see how this jives with Gorton's quote about finding high profile leader targets around the league.

Were he to go in for Karlsson as Bobb Mac has suggested or bid on Tavares (I am still confident they would) signing Kovalchuk leaves pretty much no wiggle room for other maneuvers.

Reactions: Ori and NewYorkNick

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I just don't see how this jives with Gorton's quote about finding high profile leader targets around the league.

Were he to go in for Karlsson as Bobb Mac has suggested or bid on Tavares (I am still confident they would) signing Kovalchuk leaves pretty much no wiggle room for other maneuvers.

It does if other moves are made. Trading Zuccarello and one of Namestnikov or Spooner.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Namestnikov is already very well established in North America, and Buch is probably not far behind. They would both probably cringe a little at being told that they needed a mentor right now.
I think Buchnevich could use a mentor. And maybe Vlad too. They both are talented but not playing to their potential.
I agree that they shouldn’t be told “here’s your mentor, kids” but I also think presenting them a good role model wouldn’t hurt.
All that said, Vlad is American, I think. Or at least grew up in the States. Not a ton of relevance to the Kovalchuk discussion. I could be wrong, though.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Firstly, even in the age of #metoo, it has to be said that there are still varying degrees of difference between the allegations against those players and what Voynov is known to have done.

Secondly, I for one, would care. I’m glad none of those players, in particular Rothlesberger and Kane, have ever played on any of my teams
What did Kane do?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Kane was accused of rape. It was a weird case and he was cleared eventually, but I don't know, things didn't add up. He also sucker punched and robbed a cabbie.
Oh the cabbie....yea that was bad

I thought the rape accusations was just a girl trying to extort him for money. I thought I heard something about her doing the same thing to one of the Bills a few years back. Not sure though.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kane was accused of rape. It was a weird case and he was cleared eventually, but I don't know, things didn't add up. He also sucker punched and robbed a cabbie.
I’ve come close to punching cabbies. And that beeyotch that falsely accused him admitted it if I recall correctly.

Other than that I think he’s a piece of ****:D

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes, it make absolutely no sense for Rangers to sign a 35 years in beginning of a rebuild for a huge amount of $ - it`s much better going for JT who is only 27.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yes, it make absolutely no sense for Rangers to sign a 35 years in beginning of a rebuild for a huge amount of $ - it`s much better going for JT who is only 27.

Tavares’ contract will be awful by year four...not sure how good that is in the prior three years for a team in the Rangers position. Tavares couldn’t drag the Islanders to the playoffs. Kovalchuk is likely a two year investment in years that the Rangers are not expected to be very good.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I want Kovy on a 3 year deal. I dont completely want a complete rebuild and become losers for 5+ years. I want one more year of a lottery pick, hopefully we both nail the selections and year 2 we can begin to develop a winning culture.

We have TONS of draft picks. I expect we use some to move up in this year and still have enough to end up with the best and a deep prospect pool.

To think a year ago today, we have nothing besides Igor as our top prospect. What great management does in short amount of time. Reminds me of the Yankees rebuild.

(Excellent vets + loads of young talent = success)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I want Kovy on a 3 year deal. I dont completely want a complete rebuild and become losers for 5+ years. I want one more year of a lottery pick, hopefully we both nail the selections and year 2 we can begin to develop a winning culture.

We have TONS of draft picks. I expect we use some to move up in this year and still have enough to end up with the best and a deep prospect pool.

To think a year ago today, we have nothing besides Igor as our top prospect. What great management does in short amount of time. Reminds me of the Yankees rebuild.

(Excellent vets + loads of young talent = success)

Don't get from your post why giving Kovalchuk a 3-year contract is better than 2-year. :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad