Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
You don't think every team in the league hasn't tried something "new" against this guy by now?
He's only been in the league for 13 years and NOBODY has been able to neutralize him.

He's an elite beast of a player and future HOF'r

What exactly is your big game plan?

100% permanent possession.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Its been done and it worked. Roy had a shadow on Ovi and he only got one shot off when MacK blew his coverage. It led to Oshie getting one timer opportunities instead.

With a less horrific team than Roy’s Avs, there’s no reason this cant be an effective strategy. The PP revolves around him, you take out Ovechkin and force players into roles they aren’t used to. Give me Oshie one timers over Ovi one timers every day of the week.

Ovechkin isn’t some god who is impossible to cover. Coaches just refuse to do it for some reason.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Its been done and it worked. Roy had a shadow on Ovi and he only got one shot off when MacK blew his coverage. It led to Oshie getting one timer opportunities instead.

With a less horrific team than Roy’s Avs, there’s no reason this cant be an effective strategy. The PP revolves around him, you take out Ovechkin and force players into roles they aren’t used to. Give me Oshie one timers over Ovi one timers every day of the week.

Ovechkin isn’t some god who is impossible to cover. Coaches just refuse to do it for some reason.

The Rangers did do it that way in the playoffs one year. It was either 2012 or 2013. Pretty sure it was 2013 when they had Ribeiro on their top unit.

Reactions: Off Sides

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Because it opens up Oshie in the slot/bumper position. How'd he score 30 goals in back to back years while shooting 20%, you ask? By guys cheating on Ovechkin on the PP.

You wanna play 3v4 instead of 4v5? Backstrom and Kuznetsov will make ya pay. Two of the best passers in the game.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
As much as I can't really stand Ovi, he's one of the best pure goal scorers ever. To say Kuznetsov or Backstrom will make me pay if I put an extra defender on Ovi as a coach, I say bring it on. Oshie and the other guys are not better scorers than Ovi, not even close. The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result. If you know Ovi is going to bomb away and score why the f*** would you let him do that? Try something else, if it burns you, it burns you. Eventually you will find something that brings the percentages in your favor a little more. That or make them change from their comfort zone.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because it opens up Oshie in the slot/bumper position. How'd he score 30 goals in back to back years while shooting 20%, you ask? By guys cheating on Ovechkin on the PP.

You wanna play 3v4 instead of 4v5? Backstrom and Kuznetsov will make ya pay. Two of the best passers in the game.
I'll take my chances with that.

If I'm coaching against the Capitals, Ovechkin doesn't score. Whatever else happens, happens.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think teams try to split the difference...they tend to try to cover Ovechkin more or take away that play but they also try to prevent the other easy chances, while the Caps work hard to open up that shot. Teams are hoping they can do it all on the PK rather than concede chances by people other than Ovechkin

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Okay, take away the passers’ shooter sounds like a good plan to me.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Voynov would immediately become our best or 2nd best d man.

But he probably won't even be allowed into the country so the point is moot.

Is there anyway we could smuggle him across the border somewhere before the wall is built or have him play under an alias? What if he married an US girl or boy? Wouldn’t that guarantee him citizenship? Skjei would probably be game. Recon it would be the first married D partners in the NHL, Mr and Mrs Voynov.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Is there anyway we could smuggle him across the border somewhere before the wall is built or have him play under an alias? What if he married an US girl or boy? Wouldn’t that guarantee him citizenship? Skjei would probably be game. Recon it would be the first married D partners in the NHL, Mr and Mrs Voynov.

Are you suggesting that Skjei likes getting beaten up (by a Russian)?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Rangers did do it that way in the playoffs one year. It was either 2012 or 2013. Pretty sure it was 2013 when they had Ribeiro on their top unit.
Agreed, they did more of less shadow AO on the PP after his game 1 PP goal. They let Ribeiro pretty much do whatever he wanted except pass to AO.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Voynov would immediately become our best or 2nd best d man.

But he probably won't even be allowed into the country so the point is moot.
Don’t care how good he is at hockey, he’s a terrible human and I don’t want him near this team.

And taking on a wife beater in today’s culture would be a huge distraction and media bonanza.

Reactions: Miamipuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->