OT: Ilya Kovalchuk retires

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I get what you are saying, but him wanting to raise his family in this native culture has be worth something. Hard to begrudge the guy for wanting to raise his family in his homeland and earn a living while doing so.

If teams want to avoid this, make players sign a non-compete agreement.
And how would this be enforced?
He probably has no intention of ever playing in NA again nor should he be allowed. You can't punish the KHL since we have no agreement between it and the NHL. Confused.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
And how would this be enforced?
He probably has no intention of ever playing in NA again nor should he be allowed. You can't punish the KHL since we have no agreement between it and the NHL. Confused.

Good question.

GM's could write in language that specifically states if the players leaves, breaks or retires from the NHL before the term stated, they are penalized X amount of dollars.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I understand, kind of a sleazy situation but again, not mine to worry about. This has to be a huge blow to the ego of Lou who pretty much prides himself on retaining a ton of players both during, and post careers..........geez, too bad;)

The article Wally posted isn't the only one surmising that the Devils aren't all that upset about this.

The Devils, meanwhile, should be breaking out streamers and noisemakers over this one. It’s obvious Kovalchuk’s heart was not in playing for the Devils, since he was apparently the one who initiated this process. But Kovalchuk’s contract was just beginning to get costly for the Devils. In fact, they would have paid out a total of $56 million over the next five years. For a team that is carrying a debt load of reportedly $230 million, that’s exorbitant for a player whose production did not match the zeroes in his paycheck. An amnesty buyout would have cost the Devils $51.3 million this summer, so that was out of the question. Had Kovalchuk decided to retire after Year 9 of his 15-year deal, he would have earned $86 of his $100 million, but the NHL’s punitive cap-recapture scheme would have hit the Devils with a cap hit of $4.3 million for each of the last five years of that contract, as opposed to a hit of just over $250,000 now until 2024-25.

It’s a great, great day for the Devils, yet another when GM Lou Lamoriello once again seems to come out of a crisis looking like the genius he is, even if he had nothing to do with Kovalchuk’s decision.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl..._medium=email&utm_campaign=thn_daily_20130712

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Thx, Vanderbeek has been hemorrhaging money there since he bought the team

A better hockey market than Phoenix but I ask, is there any way anyone can make a nickel in NJ???

I live here and you can make a great salary...easy to make over six figures...problem is, it all goes out in property taxes, car insurance and mortgage ...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mount KilimanChara

Jul 6, 2007
North Shore
No, not his right. He is contractually obligated to play for the Devils for the next, what, 12 years, and though the Devils could not compel him to play, they could have obtained an injunction preventing him from playing for anyone else. By fleeing to Russia, however, Kovalchuk puts himself beyond the jurisdiction of the North American courts to enforce such an injunction even if granted. But make no mistake it's a repudiation of contract on Kovalchuk's part, and no doubt the KHL induced that breach, also a legal wrong but again nothing you can do about it because there is no system of justice in Russia, let alone one that would recognize and enforce a judgment granted by a court here, as would be the case in any civilized country.

This non-recognition of NHL contracts by the KHL is about to have some serious ramifications, including possibly NHL participation in Sochi. Bettman won't just let this go.

What about the Penguins handling Malkin like the Cold War was still going on? The situation works both ways. Pens should have had to play a lot of money to the under contract Malkin's team in order to have him play in the NHL. I'd say a transfer fee of like 10M$ just to negotiate with him. Baseball does it with the Japanese league (Ichiro, Daisuke, etc). Soccer does it with every player everywhere. Didn't the NHL just poach a Swedish star who was under contract, too? The NHL sets up its own system as if it is fully above every other league in the world and is as responsible for the lack of transfer agreement as any other league. People like to hate on the KHL but in reality if the SEL or DEL or SM-Liga or Extraliga etc were more powerful they would renegotiate the transfer agreement to their favor as well. Personally I wouldn't care because I believe a team who develops a player in his youth deserves compensation if he turns into a star under their tutelage. The KHL believes this too. The NHL doesn't.

Also, we may want to consider that two European vacations for the whole NHL in less than 10 years influences this. Don't want players to go play back home? Get your spit together and quit cancelling games, NHL, because no matter what you think you aren't the only game in town and the $$ difference (not to mention the standard of play) ain't what it used to be.

The Cold War is over, folks. It's just that it was such a huge part of hockey's fabric that it still lives on in many, many hockey fans. If Bettman withholds NHL players from the Olympics, more foreign players will leave and they should.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I live here and you can make a great salary...easy to make over six figures...problem is, it all goes out in property taxes, car insurance and mortgage ...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

can only imagine the taxes on the ownership there:amazed:

I`m not trying to be an alarmist but I can honestly see, in the not so distant future a Devils team being forced to relocate.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What about the Penguins handling Malkin like the Cold War was still going on? The situation works both ways. Pens should have had to play a lot of money to the under contract Malkin's team in order to have him play in the NHL. I'd say a transfer fee of like 10M$ just to negotiate with him. Baseball does it with the Japanese league (Ichiro, Daisuke, etc). Soccer does it with every player everywhere. Didn't the NHL just poach a Swedish star who was under contract, too? The NHL sets up its own system as if it is fully above every other league in the world and is as responsible for the lack of transfer agreement as any other league. People like to hate on the KHL but in reality if the SEL or DEL or SM-Liga or Extraliga etc were more powerful they would renegotiate the transfer agreement to their favor as well. Personally I wouldn't care because I believe a team who develops a player in his youth deserves compensation if he turns into a star under their tutelage. The KHL believes this too. The NHL doesn't.

Also, we may want to consider that two European vacations for the whole NHL in less than 10 years influences this. Don't want players to go play back home? Get your spit together and quit cancelling games, NHL, because no matter what you think you aren't the only game in town and the $$ difference (not to mention the standard of play) ain't what it used to be.

The Cold War is over, folks. It's just that it was such a huge part of hockey's fabric that it still lives on in many, many hockey fans. If Bettman withholds NHL players from the Olympics, more foreign players will leave and they should.

Good post

I`ll come clean, NEVER been a fan of any pro competing in the Olympics in any sport, there was always something special I felt watching pure Amateurs compete and I say that as a resident in a country who`s most popular sport rarely made waves on the Olympic ice surface until the pro`s got involved. My opinion?? These guys have enough glory doing what they do, love to see the amateurs get their chance again, it`ll never happen but...

Mount KilimanChara

Jul 6, 2007
North Shore
Good post

I`ll come clean, NEVER been a fan of any pro competing in the Olympics in any sport, there was always something special I felt watching pure Amateurs compete and I say that as a resident in a country who`s most popular sport rarely made waves on the Olympic ice surface until the pro`s got involved. My opinion?? These guys have enough glory doing what they do, love to see the amateurs get their chance again, it`ll never happen but...

Thanks, ODAAT.

Have to say I disagree and absolutely love having the best players in the world compete on a different stage. I understand your feeling though, and respect it. I just remember the unfair nature of the past, and now I love that there is no way to say "but...our best players didn't play". Of course, the miracle of 1980 is a height that can't be reached anymore because of it. It's just a matter of perspective- remember the greatest win or the years of playing against an unfair system. I get the feeling it would take one Olympics before fans wanted to see NA NHLers back in again. I want to see Canada or the US go to Russia and come home with hockey gold. It won't be easy, but it would feel like a cop-out to me if either didn't send full strength teams.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thanks, ODAAT.

Have to say I disagree and absolutely love having the best players in the world compete on a different stage. I understand your feeling though, and respect it. I just remember the unfair nature of the past, and now I love that there is no way to say "but...our best players didn't play". Of course, the miracle of 1980 is a height that can't be reached anymore because of it. It's just a matter of perspective- remember the greatest win or the years of playing against an unfair system. I get the feeling it would take one Olympics before fans wanted to see NA NHLers back in again. I want to see Canada or the US go to Russia and come home with hockey gold. It won't be easy, but it would feel like a cop-out to me if either didn't send full strength teams.

I've just got a soft spot for Amateurs and clearly a glutton for punishment as Canada , while generally doing well at the Winter Olympics often were not successful with Hockey. Don't get me wrong...I watch every game I can, and I'm entertained but as I stated, soft spot for the amateur athlete and there's always been something special watching someone compete, hearing about all the obstacles they overcame to have this opportunity etc...

With the pro's involved, the only obstacles are figuring out how much clothes need to be packed:)

Good friend of mine works with Sport Nova Scotia and is clearly an amateur backer and he sums it up best "it's like hearing an already multi millionaire has won a 20 million lottery jackpot"

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Thx, Vanderbeek has been hemorrhaging money there since he bought the team

A better hockey market than Phoenix but I ask, is there any way anyone can make a nickel in NJ???

Any NHL team that has to make an $80 million loan payment once per year for 3 years is not in the best financial shape. Don't know a business person that would make that kind of arrangement when that's all the revenue they bring in.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I've just got a soft spot for Amateurs and clearly a glutton for punishment as Canada , while generally doing well at the Winter Olympics often were not successful with Hockey. Don't get me wrong...I watch every game I can, and I'm entertained but as I stated, soft spot for the amateur athlete and there's always been something special watching someone compete, hearing about all the obstacles they overcame to have this opportunity etc...

With the pro's involved, the only obstacles are figuring out how much clothes need to be packed:)

Good friend of mine works with Sport Nova Scotia and is clearly an amateur backer and he sums it up best "it's like hearing an already multi millionaire has won a 20 million lottery jackpot"

Absolutely. Imagine watching the best junior and college players at the Olympics. It's great w/ pros, I get it. Why they should bring the Canada Cup back. Especially w/ the KHL now. The stakes would be so much higher, and it would be far less predictable w/ the best amateurs laying it all on the line for their county at the Olympics.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Good post

The Olympics began as an "amateur" competition because back in the day "amateur" = "gentleman of leisure." The vast majority of Olympians back in the early days didn't have to work for a living. If ordinary people wanted to participate, eventually they had to be compensated, one way or another.

The irony of celebrating the triumph of the U.S. Olympic team over the Soviets is, of course, that the Soviets were professionals. :laugh: All of the Eastern Bloc athletes were pros, and had been since the post WWII games. Only Avery Brundage and his minions refused to acknowledge it.

Ideally, sure, it would be wonderful ordinary joes and janes with 9-to-5 jobs were the Olympians and no professionals were allowed, but isn't the purpose of the Olympics to have the best in the world compete against each other? It'd pretty difficult to be the best in the world if you only have the time/energy/funding to practice a couple of hours per day, and have to pay for coaching, travel expenses, and equipment out of your own pocket.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So on the weekend, Kovalchuk's sister brews up a storm and says her brother only plans to play in the KHL for 3 years and then return to the NHL.

Kovalchuk stabs his sister in the back today and signs a 4 year deal in the KHL. :laugh::laugh:

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
BPOrmARCcAA5saI.jpg:large

qc

Aug 23, 2011
http://en.khl.ru/news/2013/7/15/25186.html

“It gives us great pleasure to confirm that Ilya Kovalchuk has excercised his legal right to continue his hockey career outside the NHL and has signed a contract with SKA Saint Petersburg,†was how KHL President Alexander Madvedev greeted the news. “I should mention that the agreement fully complies with all KHL and NHL regulations, and is in complete accordance with the existing Memorandum of Understanding between the leagues. The contract will be officially registered in our Central Information Bureau database in the very near future.

This is the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad