OT: Ilya Kovalchuk retires

hammerwielder

Jan 6, 2008
Canada
If I was a Devils fan I'd be pissed but I'm a Bruins fan so this is good news, it weakens an eastern foe. The Devils owner is probably happy to, that team is in financial trouble.

Pretty crappy move here by Kovalchuk considering not long ago he signed a deal for 15 years or whatever it was.

It's his right I suppose, I agree you have to be wary of signing Russian players they can leave anytime to an attractive situation.

No, not his right. He is contractually obligated to play for the Devils for the next, what, 12 years, and though the Devils could not compel him to play, they could have obtained an injunction preventing him from playing for anyone else. By fleeing to Russia, however, Kovalchuk puts himself beyond the jurisdiction of the North American courts to enforce such an injunction even if granted. But make no mistake it's a repudiation of contract on Kovalchuk's part, and no doubt the KHL induced that breach, also a legal wrong but again nothing you can do about it because there is no system of justice in Russia, let alone one that would recognize and enforce a judgment granted by a court here, as would be the case in any civilized country.

This non-recognition of NHL contracts by the KHL is about to have some serious ramifications, including possibly NHL participation in Sochi. Bettman won't just let this go.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
No, not his right. He is contractually obligated to play for the Devils for the next, what, 12 years, and though the Devils could not compel him to play, they could have obtained an injunction preventing him from playing for anyone else. By fleeing to Russia, however, Kovalchuk puts himself beyond the jurisdiction of the North American courts to enforce such an injunction even if granted. But make no mistake it's a repudiation of contract on Kovalchuk's part, and no doubt the KHL induced that breach, also a legal wrong but again nothing you can do about it because there is no system of justice in Russia, let alone one that would recognize and enforce a judgment granted by a court here, as would be the case in any civilized country.

This non-recognition of NHL contracts by the KHL is about to have some serious ramifications, including possibly NHL participation in Sochi. Bettman won't just let this go.

Technically yes you are right, legally the Devils could block him for the next 10+ years but that would make them look ridiculous. I should have said his option, in practice the KHL is an option that is available to him, he isn't the first to do it and won't be the last.

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
wow, those oligarchs over there have some insane money to throw around

it's not like the NHL where revenues from the game itself pay the contracts

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Kovalchuk and Ovie made it clear during the lockout that escrow was going to be a major factor to them

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1h
Martin Brodeur called Ilya Kovalchuk's decision to leave Devils "a shocker." Knew he was upset about escrow but didn't think he'd leave NHL.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3h
Lamoriello actually admitted today that after lockout ended Kovalchuk thinking about staying in Russia.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3h
What he said. RT @cotsonika: NHL will let Kovalchuk leave for KHL because it's Devils' decision. Had Devils fought it, NHL would fight it.

No secret to the Devils...they knew what was coming

Kovalchuk wasn't unmoveable if he wanted to just not play in New Jersey. He gains nothing from this besides going home to his home country... and family?

Seems quite the opposite of the whole Russian M.O... he had his guaranteed millions here, and gave it up to go home. Most Russians go home to make the millions that weren't going to get handed to them here.

He's getting the money either way. The KHL will pay him just as much if not more...AND...In Russia there's less taken out, I guess. *see above

So, its really about money...not family. Shocking. Money should always be the first suspect.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Funny, but I don't have a problem with what Kovalchuk did. It's his life. He only gets one of them. We all have our own value system.

Though maybe he could have done it before FA started.

That pretty much sums it up, although I have a hard time seeing that Lou didn't know about it well beforehand.

Kovy has always seemed to me like one of the more driven Russian stars in the league, despite his somewhat selfish playing style. I would assume that this at the very least drives up prices for the top end Russian talents as they obviously can and will make more money at home. I'd wager there will be some sort of trade agreement between the NHL and KHL to prevent this kind of debacle though. It's not really good PR for the Devils or the league in general if this happens again and again. At the very least some monetary compensation for breaking a contract.

Shadowthrone

Zombies Welcome
Sep 24, 2006
Franconia, Germany
I don't get how people are still getting worked up about greed or honoring contracts after that huge lockout cluster****...

NHL had something like the Kovalchuk decision coming, and deservedly so.
Competition's a good thing, and if the KHL would be paying him 50 million $'s or €'s a year, who cares.

I certainly don't, and I'm not exactly a fan of unbridled capitalism. No, not at all.

KHL is taking up steam and meaning business.
Who ever would have thought that Jokerit Helsinki would join a couple of years ago...

And the reactions of some people, good Lord....

"NHL got better because a Euro is leaving "
"Addition by subtraction" and so on... Just ridiculous.

I'm feeling entertained :handclap:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nobody said the NHL got better because a "euro" was leaving.

We like the Germans, Fins, Swedes, Slovaks, and Czechs anway

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
I don't get how people are still getting worked up about greed or honoring contracts after that huge lockout cluster****...

NHL had something like the Kovalchuk decision coming, and deservedly so.
Competition's a good thing, and if the KHL would be paying him 50 million $'s or €'s a year, who cares.

I certainly don't, and I'm not exactly a fan of unbridled capitalism. No, not at all.

KHL is taking up steam and meaning business.
Who ever would have thought that Jokerit Helsinki would join a couple of years ago...

And the reactions of some people, good Lord....

"NHL got better because a Euro is leaving "
"Addition by subtraction" and so on... Just ridiculous.

I'm feeling entertained :handclap:

brad-pitt-apare-in-primele-imagini-pentru-chanel-no-5-este-primul-barbat-ales-sa-reprezinte-imaginea-celebrului_size1.jpg

It's what we do. :)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It appears Kovalchuk and Devils President, CEO and General Manager Lou Lamoriello have been discussing a potential return to Russia and the KHL for some time. As you know, Kovalchuk played over there during the lockout, and he rather enjoyed it. The Devils had a bit of a time getting him to come back.

Everyone keeps talking about Kovalchuk's huge, long-term contract with 11 years remaining on it, and how walking away from the $77mil the Devils were set to pay him was a huge slap in the face to fans and the organization. Well don't cry for me, Argentina: Kovalchuk is going to sign a huge contract with SKA of the KHL, and he could make as much as double. He'll never be allowed to return to the NHL ever again, but when you have all the money in the world, who cares where you live.

So why are the Devils okay with this? Because they are broke and they're trying to sell the team. According to Kovalchuk's contract, the team would have been on the hook for around $55mil over the next five years. Try selling a hockey team with a financial burden such as that one attached. The Devils are completely okay with Kovalchuk leaving. It solves a problem for them

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Rich...ls-AGREED-on-Departure/131/52763#.Ud9cYVMgtPQ

fwiw............

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It appears Kovalchuk and Devils President, CEO and General Manager Lou Lamoriello have been discussing a potential return to Russia and the KHL for some time. As you know, Kovalchuk played over there during the lockout, and he rather enjoyed it. The Devils had a bit of a time getting him to come back.

Everyone keeps talking about Kovalchuk's huge, long-term contract with 11 years remaining on it, and how walking away from the $77mil the Devils were set to pay him was a huge slap in the face to fans and the organization. Well don't cry for me, Argentina: Kovalchuk is going to sign a huge contract with SKA of the KHL, and he could make as much as double. He'll never be allowed to return to the NHL ever again, but when you have all the money in the world, who cares where you live.

So why are the Devils okay with this? Because they are broke and they're trying to sell the team. According to Kovalchuk's contract, the team would have been on the hook for around $55mil over the next five years. Try selling a hockey team with a financial burden such as that one attached. The Devils are completely okay with Kovalchuk leaving. It solves a problem for them

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Rich...ls-AGREED-on-Departure/131/52763#.Ud9cYVMgtPQ

fwiw............

Exactly, they have long been a team in trouble economically. As a hockey club, the loss of Kovalchuk will hurt, as a broke hockey club.....

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Forget the Home or Family angle... that's bs.

It's always about the money... always.

Kaoz*

What are the usual excuses some of us roll out for Bruins players?

Maybe his wife likes Bob-sledding in Russia.
Maybe his kid is sick and in need of care he can only get in Siberia.
He cited family reasons, how noble!
Can't blame Kovalchuk for leaving without knowing exactly what his reasons were!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What are the usual excuses some of us roll out for Bruins players?

Maybe his wife likes Bob-sledding in Russia.
Maybe his kid is sick and in need of care he can only get in Siberia.
He cited family reasons, how noble!
Can't blame Kovalchuk for leaving without knowing exactly what his reasons were!

we can here, where assumptions and opinions are made without receiving anything such as documented proof that a player is actually states he is doing this for the reasons he states he is, if I read this right, is raise/spend time with his family in his native land, while enjoying the fruits of his labor playing hockey for a ton of cash.

Love the judgement here (not you), have to wonder if I wouldn`t do the exact same thing....I bet I would, ESPECIALLY if my wife really wanted this for our family and children

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
we can here, where assumptions and opinions are made without receiving anything such as documented proof that a player is actually states he is doing this for the reasons he states he is, if I read this right, is raise/spend time with his family in his native land, while enjoying the fruits of his labor playing hockey for a ton of cash.

Love the judgement here (not you), have to wonder if I wouldn`t do the exact same thing....I bet I would, ESPECIALLY if my wife really wanted this for our family and children

Who wouldnt leave 77M behind for 150M.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
IMO, the ironic thing about this is that Kovalchuk played a much more "North American" game than most Euros in the NHL.

He sure did, almost "appears" that his willingness to play as physical as he did for as long as he did might have taken it`s toll physically?

12 years in the NHL, this is hardly a Radulov-type of situation

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
im ok agreeing that this probably is best for the family... who are we honestly to say otherwise? BUT would he still be doing what is best for the family if he wasnt still getting paid? its very easy to do what is best for the family when it doesnt cost a penny.

ultimately, its nice for his family if he can have his cake and eat it too. all of us would love if we could take a new job that makes our family happier and also pays us more at the same time. it doesnt make us 'great guys' {or women} if we find such an opportunity. We only deserve 'credit' as great family-first people if we actually have to 'sacrafice' our jobs for the family.

so i agree with everyone else here... lose the family bullcrap excuse please.

i guess all the 'logical' evidence here suggests that the devils are happy that they are getting rid of a badly overpaid player who led them to a non-playoff spot this past year and whose very illy-considered contract has crippled the team the last couple seasons.

so... who gets hurt here? the contract was untradable... the player wasnt worth it... it was going to crush the team for years and years and years to come...

this is like when bret hart was allowed out of his wwe contract to go to wcw. the wwe had its biggest success ever using the move to create their entire 'attitude' era. the wcw meanwhile went out of business in very short order. im not saying that khl will be killed by this one move but this could be the opening shot to kill the league off.

wha killed itself grabbing guys like bobby hull for a million dollars way back in the day. bobby hull and derek sanderson and company were not enough to give the wha credibility as a real rival to the NHL and none of them ever earned the money those foolish millionare owners paid them. even wayne gretzky and the baby bulls couldnt fix the financial mess that the wha created for itself.

i have no real fear that the khl has somehow 'legitimized' itself just because they throw some sick amount of money at one of their hometown heroes to bring him home here.

its definitely not about family though. the fact that his family is happy is great... but this is a move that will make kovalchuck richer... will let devils off the hook after making one of the 10 worst contract signings in hockey history... and will let some billionare in russia feel like his huge ego is being satisfied

in the meantime some nhl fans that were asked to emotionally invest in a hero... and who saw the debacle of that contract being signed in the first place... are now abandoned. players ONLY get paid if the fans CARE. if the fans decide to stop caring then the players will eventually discover that playing hockey doesnt solve world hunger. it doesnt cure disease. it doesnt do anything other than provide us FANS something to care about.

this one move wont by itself destroy the 'business' that is the NHL and kill 'the golden goose' that lets these 'entertainers' get their 7-8 mill dollar per year contracts... but it sure as hell didnt help the business either.

im left thinking why bother guaranteeing these contracts at all... now... if the players like thomas and kovalchuck can walk away from these contracts anytime they feel like it then why cant the teams also walk away.

if some player turns to crap after signing a long term deal why cant the owner say 'for family reasons' my family no longer wants me to pay this player the money we agreed to since the player is no longer earning it?

contracts are contracts for a reason... and anyone here that is okay with the players walking away from a contract better be prepared for the owners also to walk away from contracts in the future too.

lucikly only a small handful of players have ever wanted to walk away from the stupid amounts of money they are being given so its not a huge problem yet. but if i was the union... id be freaked. this does open a whole can of worms if the league decides to make it part of the next cba

Kaoz*

These "retirements" are tricky situations. We all know Kovalchuk has absolutely no plans on retiring, but will most likely go play in the KHL. You can't hate on him for wanting to play in another league, that's completely and totally his choice. BUT he did make a commitment to the NHL to play for the Devils for quite some time and argued the stipulations around his contract based on that. It just seems to me that a player backing out of that contract without a better reason then "I don't feel like honouring my commitment" is a touch dishonest, and not something to be regarded in a positive light.

Kovalchuk wants to break contract and go back to Russia, fine, adios, no one is obviously going to stop him. Just don't tell me I shouldn't think there is something wrong with him doing it.

Same as when Thomas did it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
im ok agreeing that this probably is best for the family... who are we honestly to say otherwise? BUT would he still be doing what is best for the family if he wasnt still getting paid? its very easy to do what is best for the family when it doesnt cost a penny.

ultimately, its nice for his family if he can have his cake and eat it too. all of us would love if we could take a new job that makes our family happier and also pays us more at the same time. it doesnt make us 'great guys' {or women} if we find such an opportunity. We only deserve 'credit' as great family-first people if we actually have to 'sacrafice' our jobs for the family.

so i agree with everyone else here... lose the family bullcrap excuse please.

i guess all the 'logical' evidence here suggests that the devils are happy that they are getting rid of a badly overpaid player who led them to a non-playoff spot this past year and whose very illy-considered contract has crippled the team the last couple seasons.

so... who gets hurt here? the contract was untradable... the player wasnt worth it... it was going to crush the team for years and years and years to come...

this is like when bret hart was allowed out of his wwe contract to go to wcw. the wwe had its biggest success ever using the move to create their entire 'attitude' era. the wcw meanwhile went out of business in very short order. im not saying that khl will be killed by this one move but this could be the opening shot to kill the league off.

wha killed itself grabbing guys like bobby hull for a million dollars way back in the day. bobby hull and derek sanderson and company were not enough to give the wha credibility as a real rival to the NHL and none of them ever earned the money those foolish millionare owners paid them. even wayne gretzky and the baby bulls couldnt fix the financial mess that the wha created for itself.

i have no real fear that the khl has somehow 'legitimized' itself just because they throw some sick amount of money at one of their hometown heroes to bring him home here.

its definitely not about family though. the fact that his family is happy is great... but this is a move that will make kovalchuck richer... will let devils off the hook after making one of the 10 worst contract signings in hockey history... and will let some billionare in russia feel like his huge ego is being satisfied

in the meantime some nhl fans that were asked to emotionally invest in a hero... and who saw the debacle of that contract being signed in the first place... are now abandoned. players ONLY get paid if the fans CARE. if the fans decide to stop caring then the players will eventually discover that playing hockey doesnt solve world hunger. it doesnt cure disease. it doesnt do anything other than provide us FANS something to care about.

this one move wont by itself destroy the 'business' that is the NHL and kill 'the golden goose' that lets these 'entertainers' get their 7-8 mill dollar per year contracts... but it sure as hell didnt help the business either.

im left thinking why bother guaranteeing these contracts at all... now... if the players like thomas and kovalchuck can walk away from these contracts anytime they feel like it then why cant the teams also walk away.

if some player turns to crap after signing a long term deal why cant the owner say 'for family reasons' my family no longer wants me to pay this player the money we agreed to since the player is no longer earning it?

contracts are contracts for a reason... and anyone here that is okay with the players walking away from a contract better be prepared for the owners also to walk away from contracts in the future too.

lucikly only a small handful of players have ever wanted to walk away from the stupid amounts of money they are being given so its not a huge problem yet. but if i was the union... id be freaked. this does open a whole can of worms if the league decides to make it part of the next cba

who knows if he would do it if it wasn`t for the money, all we can judge him on is the situation he`s in. Truth is, all reports say he`s a devoted family man so...take it for what it`s worth.

It`s not like he and his family have spent merely a year or two in NA and have chosen to go home, he`s more than earned the right to make his decisions based on either cash or family......and really, at this stage, it`s not as though he`s rooting through his couch for spare change

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
These "retirements" are tricky situations. We all know Kovalchuk has absolutely no plans on retiring, but will most likely go play in the KHL. You can't hate on him for wanting to play in another league, that's completely and totally his choice. BUT he did make a commitment to the NHL to play for the Devils for quite some time and argued the stipulations around his contract based on that. It just seems to me that a player backing out of that contract without a better reason then "I don't feel like honouring my commitment" is a touch dishonest, and not something to be regarded in a positive light.

Kovalchuk wants to break contract and go back to Russia, fine, adios, no one is obviously going to stop him. Just don't tell me I shouldn't think there is something wrong with him doing it.

I understand, kind of a sleazy situation but again, not mine to worry about. This has to be a huge blow to the ego of Lou who pretty much prides himself on retaining a ton of players both during, and post careers..........geez, too bad;)

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

I get what you are saying, but him wanting to raise his family in this native culture has be worth something. Hard to begrudge the guy for wanting to raise his family in his homeland and earn a living while doing so.

If teams want to avoid this, make players sign a non-compete agreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad