Ilya Kovalchuck

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
it's an injury ridden season for him. He pretty much performs on his level when he's healthy. Why don't ppl ever go beyond stats?

and by the way the khl is no bush league. Don't know what it takes for north americans to realize. Maybe don cherry admitting it?:sarcasm:

kovalchuk is not head and shoulders above everybody in the league.

this ^^^^

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I agree that he might be nursing his back, but when he sparks he sparks. I think he will explode in the PO. There really was no huge need for him to go full out yet.

Hockeyfan31*

You just can't look at stats only. Otherwise it makes Marcel Hossa better player than Kovie :) , of course he isn't but somehow Riga just is his town and he performs amazing there, but fails pretty much everywhere else.

He has been a bit injured also and has played at least 6 games less than everyone else in front of him. He plays in stacked team, sometimes you have worse stats than being in team where everything goes through you.

Of course in every season there are some surprise packages that perform better than ''star'' players that year. And khl is pretty damn good league, so it's not like Kovie is playing against amateurs

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
what u mean by dead puck era? btw he played second and especially third NHL season injured and didnt let the injuries heal properly...

What I mean by dead puck era is that it was one of the lowerest scoring seasons in NHL history. Yes, 2003-2004, the year Cheechoo scored 28 goals in the NHL.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
What I mean by dead puck era is that it was one of the lowerest scoring seasons in NHL history. Yes, 2003-2004, the year Cheechoo scored 28 goals in the NHL.

So what happened to him in season 3? i mean i know he was injured and didnt heal properly, but still he really didnt do well the third season

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
Enjoy your stay at 12th in the conference...

Hay, you're right.
In that case, ya Kovalchuk is a big jerkwad, so who cares if he bombs.
At least if the case was he felt he couldn't hack anymore because his back, I'd have more respect for him and wish him well

Last edited:

Brandel*

It's an injury ridden season for him. He pretty much performs on his level when he's healthy. Why don't ppl ever go beyond stats?

And by the way the KHL is no bush league. Don't know what it takes for North Americans to realize. Maybe Don Cherry admitting it?:sarcasm:

Kovalchuk is not head and shoulders above everybody in the league.

I don't go beyond stats because I have no knowledge... That's the reason I'm asking the question...

No offence but when ex-NHLers like Jonathan Cheechoo goes from top 50 scorer in the AHL to top 15 in the KHL it really isn't helping your case. Just one of the reasons people generally believe that.

Kovy is tanking it.

And Cheechoo is given a loads of time on the first line in Medvescak

Umm cheechoo averages 16:05 TOI/game. One of the lowest of the entire top 30 point getters. Kovalchuck plays over 21mins/game.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I don't go beyond stats because I have no knowledge... That's the reason I'm asking the question...

No offence but when ex-NHLers like Jonathan Cheechoo goes from top 50 scorer in the AHL to top 15 in the KHL it really isn't helping your case. Just one of the reasons people generally believe that.

Umm cheechoo averages 16:05 TOI/game. One of the lowest of the entire top 30 point getters. Kovalchuck plays over 21mins/game.

Is no that simple. The style of play is different so different players can shine more. Its like in football, Messi is great, the best, but would he be as great if he played in a club of different style like Bayern? Probably not as great. Different styles fit better to different players.
Not to mention Cheechoo had enough time to heal. Also the line is a good assist line and cheechoo can bury the pack. He doesnt create the chances him self. He is open in the right time in the right place to shoot the puck after a pass. And that is easier on bigger ice (even DS ice is bigger than NHL ice rinks)

Hockeyfan31*

Lol the logic of that Brandel dude, so Mozyakin is better than most nhls in world cause he outperfomed many in last lock out. And people still wonder why there is this stereotype about north americans xD

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013

The AHL isn't close to the KHL anymore in terms of talent, which has been really good in recent years in the KHL. I think the deal with Cheechoo is the guy is having a second wind and his with his caliber he could even play in the NHL right now, but a franchise won't give him a chance.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The KHL board is terribly biased with very few sane people and it shows in all this defense of Kovalchuk's terrible season.

His shooting percentage is down to 9.5 percent not because of bad luck but because he's shooting chest-snipes, he plays on the perimeter, he's greatly consistent in taking bad penalties.. Maybe he has some kind of injury but otherwise he's having a terrible season and all of those who say to look beyond stats - I doubt you do that yourselves because his stats actually look a lot better than his game does at this point because he was actually good at the beginning of the season. The only legit excuses for his season are that he plays on the team which is pretty bad in general lately thus his teammates aren't helping him much, their powerplay is poopy and he's being misused as he's playing on the right point there and that is absolutely crazy.

Sadly this also helps a lot to all the wishful thinkers out where believing KHL is better than it is.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
While with Devils, and before lockout, Kovy has missed something like total of 3 optional practices in two seasons. Dude lived only to be on ice. Now this season he has missed a lot of things : training camp, some games, tournaments ... you name it. My money is on his back problems - which could be noticed even during his last stint with Devils. Nowdays, he probably does what he can to save whatever is left of him and prepare for Sochi, all while coasting through KHL season. Not like SKA needs him to carry them to playoffs anyway.

As for Cheechoo - perfect storm. He is fully healed, he gets a lot less bruising in KHL games, our team is all NA and gameplan fits him, league is more than enough chalenging (though from what I know, he was playing it honest even in AHL), he's got wife and kid with him and they are loving every minute here. Not so important, but not to be neglected either - KHL treats him like a star. Everywhere he has played on road, numerous fans were waiting after game to meet him and get a photo or a signing, he was voted by fans to All Star starting lineup, I've heard many times Russian play-by-play guys going nuts when he scores. He usually wears C for us, as our long time captain is clearly en route to retirement, and he plays like you'd want your captain to play - forechecks hard, throws hits, backcheckes often and well (yup, still can't believe it myself) and scores a lot, even when noone can't get it going. Too bad we don't have someone to match his skill, as many of pucks he dishes are too much for our lineup. Teammates love him (look at those smiles :toothless http://www.khl.hr/hr/medvescak/oprostaj-od-ledene-pao-je-i-dinamo) In fact, they are all rather tight bunch - guess that USA+CA vs. Russia gets them going :D
Lastly, noone dumps on him after a bad game or two. That can go a long way for a player, especially one that had years of answering the same "why-aren't-you-good-player-anymore" question.
Perfect storm. And he is loving it so much that he ditched offer from Magnitogorsk, that was reportedly 3 times the money he has in Zagreb. Oh well, we all know he'll get much, much more in the offseason, so we are just enjoying watching him play for as long as we can :nod:

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
Everything evolves around Cheechoo at the bears. Having the talent that he has and the fact that he is injury free seems to be working. Good team, good team mates, North American surroundings, coach that trusts him. It all worked out well for him. He seems very happy and very excited every time he plays.

All the things that i didn't see with Kovy with season.

York

Jul 21, 2013
Unfortunately all our team makes very few efforts in this season. Likely are afraid of the Continent Cup :laugh:
Let's see what will happen in the playoffs after the Olympic Games.

I hope that Ilya comes to the level in the next season. Prepare for the season with the team. Will get into the way of living in St. Petersburg. And everything will be ok :)

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
I really hope so York i really like Kovy as a person and as a player. I remember in the Medvescak SKA game where he singlehandedly took the game into overtime.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Im still thinking, that his "retiring from NHL" had to do with new owners of New Jersey Devils. They refused to pay for his contract so they made it clear. If we buy this team, Kovalchuk must be gone. Maybe they wanted to make some trade, but who the hell will buy a player with such contract? So they arranged his retirement...

And back to topic. Kovalchuk is a media product. He is good player, but not far such a big star. He had good seasons in NHL. Some very good. But now he is 30, not so fast, some injuries behind him... His production declined in the last 2 years. Also last season in KHL he had only "good" numbers (36 games, 18 + 24 = 42). And also KHL is more to defense oriented league as is NHL. So, im no surprised with his actual statistics.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Im still thinking, that his "retiring from NHL" had to do with new owners of New Jersey Devils. They refused to pay for his contract so they made it clear. If we buy this team, Kovalchuk must be gone. Maybe they wanted to make some trade, but who the hell will buy a player with such contract? So they arranged his retirement...

And back to topic. Kovalchuk is a media product. He is good player, but not far such a big star. He had good seasons in NHL. Some very good. But now he is 30, not so fast, some injuries behind him... His production declined in the last 2 years. Also last season in KHL he had only "good" numbers (36 games, 18 + 24 = 42). And also KHL is more to defense oriented league as is NHL. So, im no surprised with his actual statistics.

There's no need to diminish Kovy's success in the NHL. But he certainly is wanting right now...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

That's more than a long shot. Kovy's contract wasn't all that bad in the NHL where Phil Kessel is getting 8 mil per year and salary cap-wise that contract was great. More importantly though, Devils show no signs of transforming into a salary-floor team (they signed Clowe to that ridiculous contract and gave 35 year-old Zubrus 9,3 mil over 3 years) so why get rid of your best player and spend all that money on all kinds of scrubs anyway?

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure there would had been teams interested in Kovalchuk. Semin has 7 mil per year contract, Iginla has 6 mil per year contract against the cap.. For a team in win-now mode Kovy's 6,66 per year would had been a bargain.

Also, I'm absolutely unable to see how Kocalchuk was a media product since he was one of the most under-appreciated players in the NHL.

Last edited:

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't know what stuff you're having, but I want some of that too :D

First of all - and I don't want to be rude - you cannot refuse to pay a contract in NHL, unlike some other leagues tend to allow certain individuals to do ...
Second - Kovy was major superstar for the team and a big, big draw for fans. Who would want to cut lose such a player. They were making more money from merchant. etc. than they were paying him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandel*

Lol the logic of that Brandel dude, so Mozyakin is better than most nhls in world cause he outperfomed many in last lock out. And people still wonder why there is this stereotype about north americans xD

yet people below you are saying that Cheechoo is playing very well, and you're insinuating that his point total is higher than his ability....

I checked last season's top 30 and I believe there are only 3 nhl players on the list (not sure how many more) and I know nothing of Mozyakin, is he not that good or something? because you're implying that as well

you seem very unknowledgeable and unreliable

And people still wonder why there is this stereotype about north americans xD

what? I figured he would be better than some NHL players if he can put stats up like that... what's your problem dude?

what stereotype anyways, im seriously curious?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
mmm Brandel would you mind rechecking what you wrote just now? It is very hard to read and understand what you are exactly trying to say please.
But from what i can peace together you are sort of negating what most of us understood you said in the post before this one. And what hockeyfan31 is saying it is a different game in KHL from the NHL one and some players react much better to different styles of play. Same thing i am saying.

Last edited:

Brandel*

mmm Brandel would you mind rechecking what you wrote just now? It is very hard to read and understand what you are exactly trying to say please.

What? It seems perfectly fine to me. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad