Ilya Kovalchuck

Brandel*

Hope this is an okay spot for this thread.

Anyways, I thought he was supposed to be the superstar of the KHL. That's what many people were saying when he "retired". He currently sits in 9th in the league in points behind players like Marcel Hossa and Nigel Dawes. I mean, he only has 5 more pts than Jonathan Cheechoo... I was even more surprised when I saw his goal total is only 13 goals in 35 games and there must be 25 people ahead of him. Why is he not putting up many more goals/points than anyone else? Some of the guys above him couldn't even stay in the NHL.

Here are the KHL stats for anyone interested:

http://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/244/pts/

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Nigel Dawes is more of an elite player then him, has Canadian fundamentals, he was sent there by Buttman to prove to the Russian audience that the khl will be nothing more then the 2nd best league until the end of time. :sarcasm:

Laino

Jul 5, 2010
Metallurg Magnitogorsk must be having a great season? Top 3 scorers lol, everyone in the top 7 in scoring has a teammate right with them in points!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
His injuries were nagging and pretty severe, no? I wouldn't be surprised if he's just wrecked his back.

All speculation, sorry. Can anyone else chime in?

He was no doubt an elite player and one of the most dangerous in the NHL his whole time here, I doubt he just 'burned out' with no explanation.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
his back is shot. hes not the player he was. he was showing sings of it in his last year with the Devils. still has an elite shot but not the elite player he was imo

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Lets be honest, he doesnt need to actually put in too much effort to play in the KHL

Im willing to bet he is coasting out there . That or his supposed Back injury is more serious then let on

Willing to bet he actually did the Devils a service by retiring this early on because his back is shot. That injury is pretty severe IMO

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I would hazard a guess that he's mailing it in and enjoying being rich and famous in his home country. What do the likes of Hossa, Cheechoo and Dawes earn? Probably half Kovy's money combined. They're hungry. Kovy is more like an attraction and marketing tool for his club. Honestly how motivated can he possibly be to tear it up in a second rate league? This isn't surprising at all.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Him playing through the 2012 Playoffs with a severe back injury really has hurt him in the long run. I bet his back is still messed up because he hasnt been the same since.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Cheechoo has 17 goals :biglaugh:

KHL, son I am dissapoint

In all seriousness though, good for Cheechoo. Happy to see he is doing well somewhere.

well he is really playing for "peanutz" here lol I mean compared to what others earn. There were other things involved why he is with Medvescak (to not get into it :P lol to long to tell). He got mostly revitalized cause he is a technical player in a technical league with less hitting. He was bruised and battered before. I like him because he is kinda player you dont see till you see him if you know what i mean.
As for kovy im sure he will kick it up a whole notches in the PO.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Cheechoo has 17 goals :biglaugh:

KHL, son I am dissapoint

In all seriousness though, good for Cheechoo. Happy to see he is doing well somewhere.

People act as if Cheechoo doesn't know how to score goals and that his 56 goals season was a complete fluke. Did he get some good bounces and benefit tremendously from playing with an elite and gifted pass first center, in Joe? Of course but come on! He scored 37 the very next season!

The dude scored 28 goals in his second NHL season (Playing with Scott, not Joe). These days, look at how we're calling dudes, who score a mere 30 goals, elite scorers. Oh, and he did it in the real dead puck era too!

Did he score pretty goals like a Stamkos, Ovi and co? Obviously no. Could he score goals? Hell ****ing yeah.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
People act as if Cheechoo doesn't know how to score goals and that his 56 goals season was a complete fluke. Did he get some good bounces and benefit tremendously from playing with an elite and gifted pass first center, in Joe? Of course but come on! He scored 37 the very next season!

The dude scored 28 goals in his second NHL season (Playing with Scott, not Joe). These days, look at how we're calling dudes, who score a mere 30 goals, elite scorers. Oh, and he did it in the real dead puck era too!

Did he score pretty goals like a Stamkos, Ovi and co? Obviously no. Could he score goals? Hell ****ing yeah.

what u mean by dead puck era? btw he played second and especially third NHL season injured and didnt let the injuries heal properly...

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Plays lazy, relies on his skills too much, had a couple injuries.
I won't be surprised if Sochi Olympics are the last for Kovy.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Hope this is an okay spot for this thread.

Anyways, I thought he was supposed to be the superstar of the KHL. That's what many people were saying when he "retired". He currently sits in 9th in the league in points behind players like Marcel Hossa and Nigel Dawes. I mean, he only has 5 more pts than Jonathan Cheechoo... I was even more surprised when I saw his goal total is only 13 goals in 35 games and there must be 25 people ahead of him. Why is he not putting up many more goals/points than anyone else? Some of the guys above him couldn't even stay in the NHL.

Here are the KHL stats for anyone interested:

http://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/244/pts/

It's an injury ridden season for him. He pretty much performs on his level when he's healthy. Why don't ppl ever go beyond stats?

And by the way the KHL is no bush league. Don't know what it takes for North Americans to realize. Maybe Don Cherry admitting it?:sarcasm:

Kovalchuk is not head and shoulders above everybody in the league.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Plays lazy, relies on his skills too much, had a couple injuries.
I won't be surprised if Sochi Olympics are the last for Kovy.

His team doesn't need him to play at 100%. Let's wait for the playoffs to judge. If a healthy Kovalchuk rips everybody apart in the playoffs his "laziness" will have paid off. It's not like he signed with a bottom feeder team which he is supposed to carry alone.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Kovalchuk's lack of hockey sense is getting more exposed in a big rink than in NA rink. And he is not as fast as he was younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad