Thompson
4th line
Ristolainen
Hunwick

Hockey Hell
Bogosian
Mittelstadt
Ullmark

Brutal performance. Played with some gas in the first 8 minutes, then cooled right the hell down. The body language from the players screams that the season is completely over. Not 1 ounce of fight left. Why not start giving fans PTOs? This has moved well past embarrassment. We're at the 'questioning whether I should watch this hockey team anymore' phase.

I realllllllllllllllly hope STH's don't re-up.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
You really think STH not re-upping is going to somehow make this franchise better?

The Pegula’s have already shown they will spend money and fire people.

Incompetence will not go away with fans going away.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

I liked Nylander's engagement, the lines he took with and without the puck, his feet moving all the time.
The ERod line did some good things, even if they didn't score. Sheary, I'm looking at you... again.
Montour can lug the mail.
Dahlin made some nifty plays in all three zones, which is sort of a given almost every night.
Gus rewarded with a goal. I wonder if it is his last as a Sabre.
Skinner got off the schneid.

The Bad:

Nelson gets run from behind and no call, resulting in him running his face into Ferland's fist.
Hunwick struggles with the simplest puck movement.
Thompson's chances. Much like Dahlin's nifty plays, it's almost a given that Thompson will completely fumble any number of pucks in a given game.

The Ugly:

Bogosian. Please leave.
Powerplay you say? New you say? Too complicated again, no one moving, no execution on most of them.
Ullmark was AHL quality tonight. Lehner-esque. Ono-chinco level.
Seven in a row.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
It didn't feel like a slog, but man I want to have higher expectations for these guys.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
G
Nylander
First 5 to 10 mins of the 1st
We scored a goal
Helps our draft position
Seasons closer to being over

B
The rest of the game
Too much to list

U
Effort
Management
Coaching

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
G:
I missed pretty much the entire game besides the first Sabres goal and had an awesome dinner

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
G
Nylander
Montour
Dahlin, for the most part
Skinner

B
Eichel
Reinhart

U
Thompson
4th line
Ristolainen
Hunwick

Hockey Hell
Bogosian
Mittelstadt
Ullmark

Brutal performance. Played with some gas in the first 8 minutes, then cooled right the hell down. The body language from the players screams that the season is completely over. Not 1 ounce of fight left. Why not start giving fans PTOs? This has moved well past embarrassment. We're at the 'questioning whether I should watch this hockey team anymore' phase.

I realllllllllllllllly hope STH's don't re-up.

I don’t think embarrassing this team with fan PTO’s would even work. This team is so far gone. Glad ROR leaving fixed that. But seriously this team needs something huge to happen and I don’t think that’s even possible

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
They did it. The Sabres are now officially tied for the worst record in the league since the win streak ended:clap:. It would take an epic collapse to not make the playoffs and yet here we are. A 58 point SEASON pace over the course of the last 46 games. Progress :sarcasm:

Reactions: JLewyB

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not doing the GBU. Here’s what I saw live:

Disagree with all the effort comments. They worked hard. I didn’t see any mailing it in.

The biggest issue with the Sabres is the coaching systems. The breakout is bad. Two slanting forwards and a stationary forward at the red line. Super easy to cover and requires the defense to make great breakout passes to get out of the zone. Way too hard of a system.

D zone coverage is not the players fault. The zone turning to man leaves them chasing. It’s as bad of a d zone coverage system, and as complicated, as I’ve seen.

Ristolainen was not bad. He’s just not capable of playing in systems where the defender has to make long precision breakout passes. He makes every other pass well.

Bogosian needs to go. He’s a horrible decision maker.

Thompson needs to add weight, simplify his game, and become a power forward. Just crash and shoot the puck. And stop digger dangling.

Nylander may change my mind about him. Smart, fast, physical. Should’ve had two goals.

Rodriques is not a center. Needs to play a bottom 6 winger role where he can skate past lesser competition. Does a lot of good things though.

Disagree about Eichel. He was engaged and very physical along the boards.

Dahlin plays five seconds ahead of the game. Insanely smart.

Sabres need to shoot more. Too much looking for a great shot. McGoalie was great tonight and the Sabres just needed a greasy goal.

————————————————
Overall, I don’t think the team is that far off. They didn’t look disengaged at all. They looked like a team that know its system blows but keeps banging away at it.

Replace Housley with a real head coach with real systems which a executable, and you’ll see a much different team.

Replace Bogosian and Hunwick from tonight’s defense with Pilut and maybe McCabe, and you’ve got a much better defense.

Put Reinhart with Mittelstadt and Nylander.

Find another center.

This team will make the playoffs.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Props to you. I'm well beyond that stage.
I watched almost every single game throughout the entire tank (missed usually 1-2 a year usually). I could live with those years because I understood the future we were heading toward.

I stopped watching completely about a month ago. I can't even do it. For sure there are weaknesses in the roster and some things I can blame Botts for, but for me, this miserable team begins and ends with Housley. Coaching isn't just X's and O's, systems, line combinations and ice-time management. Good coaches inspire their players to be their best every day. They make sure the players are mentally and physically prepared. Housley doesn't inspire anyone to do anything. You can just tell by watching him and listening to him. He has no charisma and no fire and probably middling respect as a coach. Nobody is following him into battle and laying it all on the line. I know that, in theory, the players can inspire themselves, but that's not how life usually works.

Look at what Trotz has done with what was supposed to be a terrible roster in the Island, or Tocchet in ARI

ISeeStars

Jun 23, 2018
Iowa
I know it's only been 2 years but I'm completely fine with another GM/Coaching swap now. 2 years and the team is worse than it ever was with no real progression or plan in sight.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad