Confirmed with Link: Iiro Pakarinen re-signed (1-year, $725K)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's a big help with regards to the expansion draft.

Yep, the Oilers now meet the 40/70 requirements.

Pretty much this.

I'm 50/50 on Pak as a player, even a 4th line grinder type. But this is a big help in hitting the expansion requirements. If not for this signing we would have been forced to expose one of the 7 forwards we're likely to protect because we didn't have enough forwards under contract for next season who met those games played requirements.

As a player, it's a no lose situation. He can provide some depth in case of injuries, or at the very least can be a good forward down in the minors and not cost a dime on the cap as BBO mentioned.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
So, the price to protect Letestu is $725k?

He's a decent 13th/14th forward and if he doesn't make the team it has no effect on the cap, just Katz' pocketbook.

Letestu only has a year left on his deal, but that might actually make him more appealing to Vegas because teams are always looking to add these utility types, especially ones who excel on special teams, to rent at the deadline.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
He's a decent 13th/14th forward and if he doesn't make the team it has no effect on the cap, just Katz' pocketbook.

Letestu only has a year left on his deal, but that might actually make him more appealing to Vegas because teams are always looking to add these utility types, especially ones who excel on special teams, to rent at the deadline.

Don't get me wrong, I think that is a great move. Too bad we can't do it with LB and others.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I think that is a great move. Too bad we can't do it with LB and others.

TBH I was hoping we could pick up a forward worth protecting pre-expansion. This move covers our butts at least if no roster movement occurs.

I'm not sure Broissoit gets picked. He has to clear waivers next year so Vegas would have to see him as the best backup available and that's a big stretch. I'm mostly worried they will pick Khaira. I see big potential there.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Good decision.
Hopefully Iiro has healthy summer and hopefully he's able to help Jesse Puljujarvi so much as ever possible during next season.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
A great move, he was hit with an early injury last season. He plays a decent 2 way game, I like him in the bottom 6 today.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

I bet he plays 50+ games next season. I think he's a quality bottom 6 winger, he skates decent and has a decent hockey i.q.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Good nowhere we can protect.

Draisaitl
Lucic
Nuge
Eberle
Letestu
Kassian
Maroon

Klefbom
Larsson
Sekera

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
TBH I was hoping we could pick up a forward worth protecting pre-expansion. This move covers our butts at least if no roster movement occurs.

I'm not sure Broissoit gets picked. He has to clear waivers next year so Vegas would have to see him as the best backup available and that's a big stretch. I'm mostly worried they will pick Khaira. I see big potential there.
I'd rather they picked Khaira than Reinhart. I don't know what people see Jujar that lead them to believe he'll ever be anything more than a good 4th liner. Vegas taking Jujar would be a god send.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
I'd rather they picked Khaira than Reinhart. I don't know what people see Jujar that lead them to believe he'll ever be anything more than a good 4th liner. Vegas taking Jujar would be a god send.

Vegas taking Pouliot would be a god send for us cap wise. Hopefully Chia can sweeten the pot for Vegas to do that, however I really don't know if Vegas would bite. How many other forwards "capable" of playing in the top 6 will be available to them? Pouliot has had a down season for sure but if it wasn't for his $4m per I'm guessing most fans would have little problem in keeping him around as a bottom 6 forward.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Vegas taking Pouliot would be a god send for us cap wise. Hopefully Chia can sweeten the pot for Vegas to do that, however I really don't know if Vegas would bite. How many other forwards "capable" of playing in the top 6 will be available to them? Pouliot has had a down season for sure but if it wasn't for his $4m per I'm guessing most fans would have little problem in keeping him around as a bottom 6 forward.
Pouliot is too good to be true it won't happen. They'll take Reinhart guaranteed. I don't think it's worth giving up assets to dump Pouliot. He's good on the PK and I guarantee he will have a better season offensively next year.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Pouliot is too good to be true it won't happen. They'll take Reinhart guaranteed. I don't think it's worth giving up assets to dump Pouliot. He's good on the PK and I guarantee he will have a better season offensively next year.

While I tend to agree with you that Vegas won't take Pouliot and the general consensus is that they will take Reinhart, you have to think that McPhee would see Pouliot as unlikely to be as unproductive in the future as he has been this year especially if he plays higher up the lineup. Wouldn't be a bad player for a new franchise to have in their middle six for a couple of years until they develop some of their own players. Sweeten the pot with a pick and prospect and it becomes a little more realistic.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I really can't see them taking Reinhart.

There's going to be 29 teams exposing a better defenseman than him.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I really can't see them taking Reinhart.

There's going to be 29 teams exposing a better defenseman than him.
He's the best option from our team. They're going to take 30 players some will not be NHL guys. If they can't get a good NHL guy from a team they'll take the best prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad