IIHF World Rankings

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Meh if Candas ranked 3rd so be it, we'll just keep winning gold when it matters.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Too bad Finland and Swedes missed their best players in best of the best tournament. :D

We were missing the #3 NHL scorer for games that mattered, and Stamkos who would have been top5 if he was healthy (Both centerman). Team depth FTW

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
4 of the past 5 actually

02 Olympics
04 World Cup
10 Olympics
14 Olympics

05 world championchip was a best on best too. Everybody was available.
If you don't consider this a best on best simply because some Canadians and Americans choose not to go you can't call any tournament best on best. Cuase some players are always missing for some reasons.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
What a joke that is. How is the only best on best tournament rated the same as the world championships? The WC happen every year also so the Olympics are pretty worthless.
Your post is a joke. Olympic tournament is just a tournament with very few meaningful games. What did Sweden prove by winning just some B category countries and was really lucky that Canada beat it only 3-0. Sample rate and size of olympic tournament is just too poor to give it more value.

If Canada dominated in ice hockey, it would win WHCs and get the number one position. It's as simple as that.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
There will probably be endless whining about it as usual, but people should realize that no judgement goes into it. It's just a mathematical formula used for seeding IIHF tournaments. If you don't give weight to the World Championships then just don't give weight to this ranking.

Spot on.

Rentsi

Jan 15, 2014
As everyone knows Canada has biggest pool to select players from and many canadian say that they could easily get 2 medals if they were able to play with 2 teams. But why can't Canada dominate in world champions even though all the other countries are missing many NHL players? Last year they had a good team with Stamkos, Hall etc but they finished 5 th. And if they don't care about world champions, why do players like Gezlaf and Stamkos even participate?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
As everyone knows Canada has biggest pool to select players from and many canadian say that they could easily get 2 medals if they were able to play with 2 teams. But why can't Canada dominate in world champions even though all the other countries are missing many NHL players? Last year they had a good team with Stamkos, Hall etc but they finished 5 th. And if they don't care about world champions, why do players like Gezlaf and Stamkos even participate?

Most Canadian players consider the World Championships a consolation tournament. Every single one of them would rather be playing in the NHL playoffs. They go to get European big ice experience and it is a free trip to visit Europe (a place when many of the young players have never been). If you don't believe us that Canadian players do not go at 100%, look at players like Getzlaf and Perry. They were caught drinking in bars during the 2012 WC and they looked slow and disinterested in their level of play during games. In the 2010 and 2014 Olympics they are completely engaged, giving 100% effort, and it reflects in how they dominated opponents in the medal round.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Most Canadian players consider the World Championships a consolation tournament. Every single one of them would rather be playing in the NHL playoffs. They go to get European big ice experience and it is a free trip to visit Europe (a place when many of the young players have never been). If you don't believe us that Canadian players do not go at 100%, look at players like Getzlaf and Perry. They were caught drinking in bars during the 2012 WC and they looked slow and disinterested in their level of play during games. In the 2010 and 2014 Olympics they are completely engaged, giving 100% effort, and it reflects in how they dominated opponents in the medal round.

You can't fault the rest of the World for Canadian players potentially having a attitude-problem.

Mara

May 10, 2011
There will probably be endless whining about it as usual, but people should realize that no judgement goes into it. It's just a mathematical formula used for seeding IIHF tournaments. If you don't give weight to the World Championships then just don't give weight to this ranking.

Indeed. I don't understand why this makes people so emotional.

flames12

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary
Morons will always doubt Canada as being the best in the world and they will always point at these "rankings".

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You can't fault the rest of the World for Canadian players potentially having a attitude-problem.

Of all the teams that played this tournament the canadian players were easily the most self less. Players that play 26 minutes a night and captains of their team are brought into checking roles and have to earn every shift by buying in. Toews said it best in his interview when they asked him about the concerns about lack of offense. I believe his response was something like this 'Yeah sure with all the talent we have we could have played a high octane offensive game but that was not the game plan. Play the system and good things will come.' They ended up 17-3 in 6 games id say the last thing canadians have are attitude problems.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
I understand why Canada's only ranked third, since they count in the World Championships points aswell. What I do think is that the points in the Olympics should be enough to make a proper ranking of the final standings.

It can be compared like this in football/soccer:

- The World Cup gives a huge amount of points at the ranking table
- The Euros gives less points (this can be compared with the World Championships)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As a Canadian, I say perfect ranking!

If I look at it right, Canada will be grouped with Finland and the Czech's...then Sweden with US and Russia. Seems fine to me.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

It is Bunny Ahearne's fault. During his tenure he continuously went after Canadians pros, while ignoring what the Communist Bloc countries were doing, and thus created the divide between the NHL and IIHF. Because of this ongoing rift the IIHF remains a Eurocentric organization in scheduling and hosting WC events. Personally, I cannot see how one can blame NHL players not taking a tournament seriously when it means they have been eliminated from the Stanley Cup Playoffs (their ultimate goal) in order to compete in it.

roto

Oct 26, 2009
What's wrong with Canadians anyway? Why do they need to prove something with these tournaments? Everyone should understand that tournaments prove what's the best team of that tournament. It proves nothing else.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Of all the teams that played this tournament the canadian players were easily the most self less. Players that play 26 minutes a night and captains of their team are brought into checking roles and have to earn every shift by buying in. Toews said it best in his interview when they asked him about the concerns about lack of offense. I believe his response was something like this 'Yeah sure with all the talent we have we could have played a high octane offensive game but that was not the game plan. Play the system and good things will come.' They ended up 17-3 in 6 games id say the last thing canadians have are attitude problems.

Not talking about the Olympics, but the World Championships.

The rest of the World takes the tournament pretty seriously. Now some are saying that Canada are not and that they go out get drunk and stuff when they are there to represent Canada in the best possible way.

Can't fault the rest of the World IF Canada has that problem and fails in the World Championships because of it.

I agree with you about the Olympic Team.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I understand why Canada's only ranked third, since they count in the World Championships points aswell. What I do think is that the points in the Olympics should be enough to make a proper ranking of the final standings.

It can be compared like this in football/soccer:

- The World Cup gives a huge amount of points at the ranking table
- The Euros gives less points (this can be compared with the World Championships)

Does it say somewhere how exactly the points are tallied ?

Performance in the Olympics should have a ton of value in the overall rankings.

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
Anyone with a brain knows that the IIHF rankings are not actually meaningful when comparing the top 7 hockey nations, since many of the best players are still in the NHL playoffs and others choose not to attend. The remaining countries generally have most or all of their top players at the World Championships, and these rankings are meaningful. Weighting the Olympics more heavily than the World Championships wouldn't make sense because it would bias the rankings towards the Olympics and be less reflective of the long-term performance of hockey nations for whom these rankings are actually meaningful.

With that said, it is a shame to see how casual an approach is taken to this tournament by the Canadians. They should be sending teams to these tournament to compete, not to get some junior players a bit of experience for when it really matters. I'd hope the Canadians would actually have a bit of pride.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
1. When do you think they actually drink and smoke? Of course in the off-season (and sometimes in the season as well, a lot of players with different personalities).

2. Just as in other sports, the difference is huge. A Chicago-team in early September is horrible compared to a team in the Playoffs in April-May. That is because they train to be in the best shap as individuals and as a team for that given period of time. That is why the best teams are in their best form from sometime after New Years Eve and to the end of the season.

3. Yes, everyone is in equal **** form. Therefore I really don't care for the outcome, cause it don't mean anything because none were in great shape or form. That doesn't mean they won't try, but won't really care all that about the outcome.

4. No, it's actually impossible for me to argue that way. Sure it's a tough schedule, but at that time most players are in good shape and used to the schedule, if they were not, there would be more complaining about it from the NHLPA.

Once again, you're stating this "peak" performance difference right out of your ass. You have absolutely no factual evidence despite your claim of "physics". No doubt that mid-season form players are better, but there's not a huge difference. From my viewings, the 2004 World Cup was played with well-conditioned players that was not visibly different from the 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Also my "drink and smoke" comment was inferring that players nowadays take way better care of their bodies than 50 years ago. I highly doubt the majority of the players smoke anytime and while I don't doubt they drink, I don't think they would get wasted on the same level as players would in the 1960's from some of the anecdotes I've heard.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
the divide between the NHL and IIHF. Because of this ongoing rift the IIHF remains a Eurocentric organization in scheduling and hosting WC events.
The IIHF has given the WC to Canada on its first bid, and will do it again at the first opportunity. Blaming the IIHF for the WCh not being hosted in NA is stupid.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
Not talking about the Olympics, but the World Championships.

The rest of the World takes the tournament pretty seriously. Now some are saying that Canada are not and that they go out get drunk and stuff when they are there to represent Canada in the best possible way.

Can't fault the rest of the World IF Canada has that problem and fails in the World Championships because of it.

I agree with you about the Olympic Team.

Canada fails in the WCs because 80% of its team is playing in the NHL playoffs. Has nothing to do with an attitude problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad