IIHF World Rankings

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
China at 38 will be the big riser soon, might even hit top 30 and I can give you a billion reasons why they will.

These rankings are a joke, no other way to put it.

I'd like to see you give those reasons.

I definitely can't come up with a billion but I can give you a few why they won't be getting significantly better any time soon.

1. The Chinese government has no interest in supporting the sport and it has little to no popularity there.

2. The proof of this (asides from the fall of their team in the IIHF rankings and their results in the competitions that those rankings are based on and the extreme downfall of their women's team). The Asia league where a Chinese team China Dragons where most of their NT players play, compete agains teams from Japan and South Korea - a team that hasn't won a single game in this league in 4 years now.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Okay I was rushed and missed the sarcastic smiley to put onto this.

Basically if the Chinese government wanted to they could propel their hockey team into the top 20 very easily, outside of the top 10 it's really thinned out.

On top of that, the way they do the ranking is just plain silly, it's not a very accurate measure of the best teams.

no one really thinks that Finland is the best hockey nation on earth right now, no offense to the Finns

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
it is strange how terrible China is at hockey. even in comparison to South Korea and Japan. you'd think the government would at least care enough to make their team in the AIHL at least respectable.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
On top of that, the way they do the ranking is just plain silly, it's not a very accurate measure of the best teams.

no one really thinks that Finland is the best hockey nation on earth right now, no offense to the Finns
Indeed it Sweden, not Finland.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
it is strange how terrible China is at hockey. even in comparison to South Korea and Japan. you'd think the government would at least care enough to make their team in the AIHL at least respectable.

Because it makes no sense to invest into a sport that is both expensive and fringe and in which they only have any chance of being somewhat competitive at least at the leve of Japan or South Korea in case they invest into it heavily? They can very well invest that money into several other sports that are cheaper and where they have a better chance of being a real contender?

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Because it makes no sense to invest into a sport that is both expensive and fringe and in which they only have any chance of being somewhat competitive at least at the leve of Japan or South Korea in case they invest into it heavily? They can very well invest that money into several other sports that are cheaper and where they have a better chance of being a real contender?

Agreed.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Why invest in a sport that will lead you nowhere? The Chinese want medals and it is very unlikely they will be in medal contention soon and even if they were, the sport will only give one medal. Better invest is speedskating where you can win multiple medals.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

Or Chinese sports are still rather mis-managed. Putting money into several other sports hasn't worked for China as their crop comes from more established sports.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Consistency is what matters! We still have the most Olympic medals since NHL participation! Plus that '04 World Cup of Hockey "silver" ;)

Besides the most important thing is that we are going forward. Getting better by the year. Now that we got rid of that "everybody plays" -junior system, expect more star players from Finland.

With our recent showings at various levels and events, we have deserved the shared #2 ranking spot along with our neighbor

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
So according to the IIHF rankings,
1.Swe (18 home games during the ranking period)
2.Fin (18 home games)
3.Rus (5 home games, plus 9 "all-but-in-name" home games in Belarus)
4.Can (0 home games)
5.Cze (0 home games)
6.USA (0 home games)

Just a coincidence, I'm sure

teris

Dec 6, 2006
2.Fin (18 home games)
This was an experiment sharing 2 consecutive tournaments between 2 neighbouring countries. One that they were not happy with afterwards. Originally Finland was granted 2012 and Sweden 2013.
IIHF doesn't decide who hosts the Olympics and we can't hold it against Russia that their fans are eager to travel abroad to watch the World Championships.
4.Can (0 home games)
5.Cze (0 home games)
6.USA (0 home games)
2011 tournament still counts, that gives Slovakia 9 (if we count the medal round had they reached it). Czechs will be hosting next year. Canada and USA haven't even bid to host any of these tournaments.
EDIT: On second thought, I might have misinterpreted your post. Oh well.

Last edited:

teris

Dec 6, 2006
2.Fin (18 home games)
4.Can (0 home games)
5.Cze (0 home games)
6.USA (0 home games)

Also, if we were to count the Olympics, Canada had the most home games in rankings as recent as 2010 and 2011.

van22

May 25, 2014
2014 NHL ranking using IIHF methodology

Given the comments on the IIHF ranking approach I wanted to get my head around it and understand the methodology and also get some perspective. So I transposed it and ranked the NHL teams using the same approach as the one used to determine the IIHF rankings.

Similar to IIHF: 4-year rolling average from 2011 to 2014 (decreasing importance for past years). Points given each year are identical to IIHF. Year 2014 is used as the last 4 teams are known (each get 4th place points for 2014 - final results will change the number of points and the final rankings for those teams).

Points are distributed based on the first round draft rankings before lottery, penalty and trades.

1 Los Angeles Kings.................2750
2 Boston Bruins.......................2740
3 Chicago Blackhawks..............2660
4 Pittsburgh Penguins...............2570
5 New York Rangers.................2540
6 Anaheim Ducks....................2395
7 Montreal Canadiens..............2385
St Louis Blues.......................2385
9 San Jose Sharks...................2340
10 Washington Capitals..............2235
11 Vancouver Canucks...............2225
12 Detroit Red Wings.................2205
13 Philadelphia Flyers................2155
14 Phoenix Coyotes...................2130
15 Minnesota Wild.....................2040
16 New Jersey Devils.................2015
17 Tampa Bay Lightning.............1990
18 Dallas Stars.........................1950
19 Colorado Avalanche...............1935
20 Ottawa Senators ...................1930
21 Nashville Predators................1915
22 Columbus Blue Jackets...........1895
23 Toronto Maple Leafs...............1870
24 Winnipeg Jets.......................1795
25 NY Islanders.........................1685
26 Calgary Flames.....................1675
27 Carolina Hurricanes...............1655
28 Buffalo Sabres......................1640
29 Florida Panthers....................1625
30 Edmonton Oilers ...................1490

Notes: The overall number of points is lower by roughly a 1000 compared to IIHF because in the IIHF world rankings for 2014 has two events (Olympics and Worlds). Using draft ranking keeps it straightforward and doesn't try to rank solely based on playoff results (which would be closer to IIHF) but that would just create a new ranking approach when there is already the consensus of the draft ranking.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
2.Fin (18 home games)
4.Can (0 home games)
5.Cze (0 home games)
6.USA (0 home games)

I agree with your post. Anyways- i believe the IIHF should give a lot more merit to the Olympic Champions and winners of Best on Best tournaments. Russia has ZERO Gold Medals in the 6 Best on Best Tournaments since 1998. Russia has ZERO Medals the last 3 Olympics, and have not won in the Olympics since 1992. That is why them being above Canada is a joke.

Canada has won the last 4 out of 5 Best on Best Tournaments (2002 Olympics, 2004 World Cup, 2010 Olympics and 2014 Olympics). Nothing more needs to be said, and the IIHF could rank Canada 6th for all i am concerned. Other countries could have the rankings, we will collect the GOLD Medals (LOL).

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I agree with your post. Anyways- i believe the IIHF should give a lot more merit to the Olympic Champions and winners of Best on Best tournaments. Russia has ZERO Gold Medals in the 6 Best on Best Tournaments since 1998. Russia has ZERO Medals the last 3 Olympics, and have not won in the Olympics since 1992. That is why them being above Canada is a joke.

Canada has won the last 4 out of 5 Best on Best Tournaments (2002 Olympics, 2004 World Cup, 2010 Olympics and 2014 Olympics). Nothing more needs to be said, and the IIHF could rank Canada 6th for all i am concerned. Other countries could have the rankings, we will collect the GOLD Medals (LOL).

No, they shouldn't. This ranking exist purely to set up the groups for the World Championship and the Olympic qualification. It has no further meaning than that. As such, the tournaments this ranking is actively used for should obviously be the base. These rankings DO NOT try to judge which hockey nation is the best, I have no idea why this is so incomprehensible to certain people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad