IIHF World Championships

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I for one don't expect players to be visibly miserable for days after the end of an epic march of attrition from February to mid-May. let 'em play, let 'em live.

Reactions: Navin R Slavin

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I teach high school. One of my students lives near a bunch of players. She said she ran into Nino this morning and that he didn't look upset and was mildly excited to go to play for Swiss at the worlds. I don't know any other context, but that's pretty frustrating to me. I want every player on our team giving their 100% on every shift. I can't fathom our players not being bothered by last night. There were a lot of passengers out there. To me this makes me think twice about Nino's competitiveness and drive if he seemed to be OK with losing. I could be reading too much into it.

In Europe the potential-reinforcements-from-NHL-to-IIHF-tourney list is a real thing to any national team. We are very aware who could be available to WHC if NHL playoffs round 2 and round 3 series end in any which way. Varying by country there is a level of expectation for the eliminated NHL players to show up for the Worlds.

The Swiss team has long since asked Nino about his coming if he's free, and they have kept a roster spot open for him half way the round robin. Nino obviously has had time to make his peace about this in the hypothetical case the Canes won't continue.

It's nothing away from the Canes. He gave is all to Canes and NHL, now he's allowed to give back to his country that set up the facilities to get him there in the first place, and he's the superstar in that scene. He wants to and needs to be there in case this will be the magical year they have been teasing at for years now.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Eetu's tourney is over. He's returning to Finland ASAP for medical evaluation.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I teach high school. One of my students lives near a bunch of players. She said she ran into Nino this morning and that he didn't look upset and was mildly excited to go to play for Swiss at the worlds. I don't know any other context, but that's pretty frustrating to me. I want every player on our team giving their 100% on every shift. I can't fathom our players not being bothered by last night. There were a lot of passengers out there. To me this makes me think twice about Nino's competitiveness and drive if he seemed to be OK with losing. I could be reading too much into it.

You sure this student wasn’t a cable guy from Quebec in disguise?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You sure this student wasn’t a cable guy from Quebec in disguise?
75440_20130730144654704.jpg

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

OR MAYBE HE GAVE EVERYTHING. AND NOW HE WANTS TO GIVE EVERYTHING FOR HIS COUNTRY, BECAUSE HE IS HEALTHY.

It’s not about being ok with loss. It’s actually about being PISSED OFF AND WANTING TO WIN SOME MORE.

In the most beautiful jersey a player can wear. The one of his national team.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Finland on the other hand threw a hissy fit at the NHL folks when everyone in a lottery team and the first round exitees had an excuse to not come, and closed the roster early on with not a single NHL player on it.

Sweden had this issue a couple of years ago, and Finland in her turn has been dealing with this as of lately. Theories vary on why this is so.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Finland on the other hand threw a hissy fit at the NHL folks when everyone in a lottery team and the first round exitees had an excuse to not come, and closed the roster early on with not a single NHL player on it.

Sweden had this issue a couple of years ago, and Finland in her turn has been dealing with this as of lately. Theories vary on why this is so.

It used to be like this in our case too.
But for example Vrána hangs his balls low and came contract or not,

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Nice goal by Nino!

I want to add a bit more to my previous post. Of course it's asinine to expect a player to be morbidly upset for weeks after a playoff loss. I am not expecting that of anyone. That's stupid.

I'm mostly upset that we didn't look great in game 4. Boston played a hell of a good defense and certainly did their part to make us look bad. From my perspective, the will to win just wasn't there with everyone on the team. I get that realistically the chances of the Canes coming back from 0-3 in the series are bad, but at the same time I want to see everyone give their all, especially on home ice. The season overall was a huge success, and for that I am extremely grateful. And I'm sure the team is too; they knew they achieved more than everyone outside expected them to, and that's awesome. I hope everyone is happy about that. At the same time, I would have liked to see more out of some players in game 4.

I'm not claiming Nino is a passenger because he went hard in most of the games I watched.

And yes I know this thread is about the World Championships. I wanted to add more to my comment because a lot of people understandably took my comment to mean that I was claiming Nino is a passenger player. I don't believe that and it's not true. My post probably made it seem like I thought less of Nino when it was more or less my frustration bubbling out from game 4. I get that he should be proud to play for his home country. Absolutely. But I do hope he shed a single tear while listening to Total Eclipse of the Heart in a dark room in his home. It's only natural.

Thank you Lempo for your thoughtful reply - you are a nice hockey dude with a better command of the English language than most native speakers. If you ever write a play, Lempo, I will watch it.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe he can start be rewriting season 8 of GoT.
I hope everyone likes the musical episodes.

Because there will be one. A "the road so far" one, to start things out. In the viewpoint of Tywin Lannister. Maybe with an argumentative duet with Catelyn Stark.

A line "I messed the Reynes down in Castamere" may be there.

And I do have high hopes of the country ballad "Joffrey is Tommen's brother, and Tommen is Joffrey's cousin" to become a fan favorite.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Maybe he can start be rewriting season 8 of GoT.
So, a funny thing happened last night. I have read all of the GoT books before the HBO series came out, but never started watching the series for various reasons as I was hoping to read the books first. Thanks for nothing GRRM. Anyway, as the obviousness of the books never being finished dawned on me, and my ability to binge and catch up to watch the final season diminished, I just avoided reading anything on social media about the show so as to avoid spoilers. Well, as me and the Mrs were getting ready for bed, my wife laughed at something she was reading on here phone and I happened to ask what was so funny. At this point, my wife who couldn't be bothered with reading or watching anything of the fantasy genre, blurts out the all of the final episode details she has read on the show and how much angste it is causing all of its fans...ruining all of my low-key efforts to stay uniformed in case I want to watch the series later.

:banghead:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
IT’D BE REALLY NICE IF CZECH REPUBLIC BEAT GERMANY IN A NICE, CONVICING, NON-DEMENTED FASHION.

ALSO, GO SUOMI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad