Game Analysis: IIHF World Championship talk

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nick Jensen has been a machine for Denmark, great possession player this tourney. Holds on to the puck well through traffic, and shoots alot.

I had given up on Jensen tbh.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Nick Jensen has been a machine for Denmark, great possession player this tourney. Holds on to the puck well through traffic, and shoots alot.

I had given up on Jensen tbh.

Wonder if the trade was enough to give him a kick in the pants. I still don't expect at top six player out of him but quality bottom six guys are real important in the NHL these days. A big body who can hang onto the puck and produce some offense is valuable

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wonder if the trade was enough to give him a kick in the pants. I still don't expect at top six player out of him but quality bottom six guys are real important in the NHL these days. A big body who can hang onto the puck and produce some offense is valuable

He even stepped it up in the AHL post trade. So I imagine his production there, along with his WC so far, is because of the change in scenery.

Maybe it motivated him.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
So Team USA limp into the QF coming off a OTL against Slovakia. The goal that tied the game 1-1 by Nelson shouldn't have counted by international rules, imo. Will face the Czech Republic, which itself has shown defensive weaknesses against Switzerland. Team USA have no system to speak of: offensively it's hand it to Matthews and see what he can do. At least on the PP they try to go hard to the net.

Congrats to Denmark who've made the QF for the first time in I don't know how many years. That's a great accomplishment for such a small hockey nation! Switzerland goes bye-bye, on the other hand. Smaller teams have adjusted to their play, which consists essentially of keeping it tight on defense and counter-attacking with odd-man rushes. A few years back I thought they could eventually challenge CZE for the 6th spot, but since their silver medal they haven't been making much noise.

Slovakia needs to overhaul their structures in their national hockey association or they will have been a Top 8 nation sooner than they think. Too many proteges. Just an overall corrupt system. Denmark, Germany, possibly Latvia and Norway will start knocking on SVKs door in the next couple of years.

I think it'll come down to Canada, Finland and Russia for the title. In that order too. Everybody else would be a huge surprise to me. Sweden just lacks something at the moment.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Brassard bringing his unnecessary blatant penalties to the WC. Dumb slash on Koskinen's glove after the whistle.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's always been like this. He scored about 30 AHL goals in 3 years in the Canucks' system and about 12 of those were in one month.

Major streak scorer. Has these hot streaks where he keeps his feet moving and shows some confidence with the puck and uses his very good shot ... then after awhile goes back to the same lazy, uninvolved perimeter player.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Laine's been the best player in this draft since the WJC's. Might not go #1, but he's better than Matthews.

Think Matthews is the better player. His all around game is generational worthy, whereas Laine's isn't quite generational, yet. Positional differences between the two are key, as well. Remember Matthews is a centerman and Laine is a winger. Centermen have more more to chew than wingers. Matthews is a possession monster, has physical elements to go along with it, can also score and playmake, vision is amazing, defensively responsible and an exceptional skater. A literal north/south player, throughout.

Laine shoots absolute bullets and has the physical elements, too. An absolute sniper in every sense of the word. An obvious offensive threat. Laine might be a little more offensive than Matthews, but his speed and pacing need work. He could definitely become generational over time, but at the current moment Matthews has more of a complete game than that to Laine.

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/vid...ews-was-the-best-u-s-player-on-the-ice~865018

Ray Ferraro says it best....

Auston Matthews = Jonathan Toews

Patrick Laine = John Tavares when he first came into the NHL (less speed/pacing)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think Matthews is the better player. His all around game is generational worthy, whereas Laine's isn't quite generational, yet. Positional differences between the two are key, as well. Remember Matthews is a centerman and Laine is a winger. Centermen have more more to chew than wingers. Matthews is a possession monster, has physical elements to go along with it, can also score and playmake, vision is amazing, defensively responsible and an exceptional skater. A literal north/south player, throughout.

Laine shoots absolute bullets and has the physical elements, too. An absolute sniper in every sense of the word. An obvious offensive threat. Laine might be a little more offensive than Matthews, but his speed and pacing need work. He could definitely become generational over time, but at the current moment Matthews has more of a complete game than that to Laine.

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada/vid...ews-was-the-best-u-s-player-on-the-ice~865018

Ray Ferraro says it best....

Auston Matthews = Jonathan Toews

Patrick Laine = John Tavares when he first came into the NHL (less speed/pacing)

I think Laine's full game gets underrated. He's more than just a sniper, and his shot is the best since Ovechkin anyway, so its not like that one tool can't carry him. Laine has great puck control, puck protection, passing, hockey IQ, hands. He could improve defensively and he's not fast, but his skating isn't really a problem, he's just doesn't have a lot of speed in his skating.

I don't agree that Matthews is generational. I have Eichel as a better prospect in his draft than Matthews. Unless people want to change the definition around where any player who is deserving of being #1 in a draft is generational, I don't think you can say Eichel or Matthews is generational. McDavid is generational, I don't think you could say any of the rest likely will be generational, although they'll all have the chance to prove that they are or aren't.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So, the Round Robin is over.

Skjei, Jensen, Brassard, and Shestyorkin move onto the quarterfinals.

Unfortunately, they won't be facing each other in the next round.

I think USA will be knocked out by CZE, RUS will beat GER, and CAN will be SWE.

I think FIN will beat DEN, but I think that has the most potential for an upset.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
that term needs to be changed...generational means once a generation, not 1-2 players every draft. eichel is a stud, i just feel that term gets used way too often

right. there have been many great new players between Crosby and MacDavid.

every year there should be at least ~5 of the top 12 picks who have dominant careers

MacKinnon, Ekblad etc will dominate for a dozen years, but wont be consistently referred to as the best player in the game

But it does seem like MacDavid really may be
the Next(McDavid) Next(Crosby) Next(Mario) One (#99)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad