Game Analysis: IIHF World Championship talk

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I watched the first game between the USA and Canada. Skjei didn't do much of note, but I thought Brassard was really good. He had one really nifty assist. He could've had a few more points though, I thought.

Yeah, but USA was outplayed almost though in that game, and their goalie had a poor day.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, but USA was outplayed almost though in that game, and their goalie had a poor day.

It was the Devils goalie. There are a lot of Devils players and prospects on the roster because the coach of the team is the Devils head coach. I thought all of the Devils players played poorly. Go figure. :laugh:

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It was the Devils goalie. There are a lot of Devils players and prospects on the roster because the coach of the team is the Devils head coach. I thought all of the Devils players played poorly. Go figure. :laugh:

Yeah, I guess he know his own team best - I`m positive that they use B. Skjei playing for USA - that`s a great achievement in my opinion in his young age, and very promising for us since he get international experience.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Jenson isn't a guy I want to get excited about in any way since he couldn't hack it for Vancouver and all but developing into a solid bottom six guy who can pop in some goals would be real nice

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Jenson isn't a guy I want to get excited about in any way since he couldn't hack it for Vancouver and all but developing into a solid bottom six guy who can pop in some goals would be real nice

Jensens biggest problem was consistency. He's shown that he can be a solid player. Just...gotta be consistent about it.

He has shown that in Hartford, at least. Maybe if he does it through Worlds, he can get some needed confidence.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jensens biggest problem was consistency. He's shown that he can be a solid player. Just...gotta be consistent about it.

He has shown that in Hartford, at least. Maybe if he does it through Worlds, he can get some needed confidence.

I hate to say it, but you know what should give him some needed confidence? Lindberg's injury. He might now have a chance to make the team to start the season.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
As I see it, the 4th spot in Group A will be wide open for contention. A year ago I would've said it's a gimme for Switzerland, but after losing to Austria last year and now losing the opening game against Kazakhstan, I don't think it'll be easy for them. 1-2-3 are pretty much set with SWE-RUS-CZE in any order. I still see KAZ as the weakest link in the group, but they're more than solid so far. I think NOR could go down, with DEN or LAT ending up in the QF.

For group B, I think 1-4 are pretty much set, with SVK being a bit resurgent from the last few tournaments. I think it'll end up CAN-FIN-USA-SVK, though I won't rule out the possibility of SVK ending up in 3rd. Their game yesterday vs Hungary was a very good contest, far above my expectations from both sides. HUN very good on zone entries and solid on defense, I think they can squeeze out a few points vs BLR, FRA and GER. BLRs defense looked catastrophic, but their offense is too good for them to be relegated. I think it'll be a close call between FRA, GER and HUN.

On another note, being from Austria, it's really tough to see how smaller nations such as Hungary, Denmark and France have developed over the last 5 years. I mean, good for them, but 5 years ago we were about on par with them. Now we're nowhere near that level. The Vanek hype is gone and there isn't one young player I'm aware of on the horizon that I could see making it in the NHL. Ouch.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
As I see it, the 4th spot in Group A will be wide open for contention. A year ago I would've said it's a gimme for Switzerland, but after losing to Austria last year and now losing the opening game against Kazakhstan, I don't think it'll be easy for them. 1-2-3 are pretty much set with SWE-RUS-CZE in any order. I still see KAZ as the weakest link in the group, but they're more than solid so far. I think NOR could go down, with DEN or LAT ending up in the QF.

For group B, I think 1-4 are pretty much set, with SVK being a bit resurgent from the last few tournaments. I think it'll end up CAN-FIN-USA-SVK, though I won't rule out the possibility of SVK ending up in 3rd. Their game yesterday vs Hungary was a very good contest, far above my expectations from both sides. HUN very good on zone entries and solid on defense, I think they can squeeze out a few points vs BLR, FRA and GER. BLRs defense looked catastrophic, but their offense is too good for them to be relegated. I think it'll be a close call between FRA, GER and HUN.

On another note, being from Austria, it's really tough to see how smaller nations such as Hungary, Denmark and France have developed over the last 5 years. I mean, good for them, but 5 years ago we were about on par with them. Now we're nowhere near that level. The Vanek hype is gone and there isn't one young player I'm aware of on the horizon that I could see making it in the NHL. Ouch.

And of course, as I'm writing this Hungary's defense falls apart completely vs CAN. :laugh:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus

In Denmark we are pleased and amazed over the succes we have had the past 10-15 years. When the olympic qualification begins we will for the first time be able to roster our strongest possible lineup, with 11 players with NHL experience spiced up with dominant players from big clubs all over Europe. 10 years ago no Dane had ever played in NHL. Frans Nielsen were the first one.

I really dont know how this succes has been made. In Denmark icehockey is one of the really small sports that most ppl dont know anything about. We do not have many hockey clubs. I have never worn a pair of skates myself and i dont know anyone who has (that i know of)!!

I like the sport as a spectator because i am a freaking sports idiot :)

Edit: info about hockey in Denmark

25 arenas where you can play. Players in Denmark (all ages) 4000-4500. Average numbers of spectators in the best league : 1500 - (only soccer has more spectators in Denmark actually. Small country :) )

Last edited:

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
In Denmark are we pleased and amazed over the succes we have had the past 10-15 years. When the olympic qualification begins we will for the first time be able to roster our strongest possible lineup, with 11 players with NHL experience spiced up with dominant players from big clubs all over Europe. 10 years ago no Dane had ever played in NHL. Frans Nielsen were the first one.

I really dont know how this succes has been made. In Denmark icehockey is one of the really small sports that most ppl dont know anything about. We do not have many hockey clubs. I have never worn a pair of skates myself and i dont know anyone who has (that i know of)!!

I like the sport as a spectator because i am a freaking sports idiot :)

Aren't there many young players going to Swedish juniors? Not to take away anything from Denmark, but for a 13 or 14 year old, it's a huge deal having basically no language barrier. I know they're different languages, but they're very similar.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Aren't there many young players going to Swedish juniors? Not to take away anything from Denmark, but for a 13 or 14 year old, it's a huge deal having basically no language barrier. I know they're different languages, but they're very similar.

Only the most talented go to Sweden i think and probably only when Swedish clubs ask them to. But most players on our national team today has played in Sweden at some point in their carreer. I cant find any numbers unfortunately

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Our U20 national team has 11 out of 28 players who plays abroad. Mainly in Sweden and North Ameria.

On our U18 team has 4 players in Sweden and one in Boston - that is out of 24 players.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
Brassard 1+1 vs Hungary. If Canada keep this up, there's no way they don't win the tournament.

ilezia

Apr 13, 2010
After 80 minutes of hockey Patrik Laine already has 3g+2a. He's already won the u20 world championship and the FEL title (also won playoff MVP) this season. If he keeps this pace up and Finland ends up winning (I think they have a legit chance) it will be a season for the history books. He turned 18 three weeks ago. I know Matthews will still probably go #1 but man is Laine giving him a run for his money.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
After 80 minutes of hockey Patrik Laine already has 3g+2a. He's already won the u20 world championship and the FEL title (also won playoff MVP) this season. If he keeps this pace up and Finland ends up winning (I think they have a legit chance) it will be a season for the history books. He turned 18 three weeks ago. I know Matthews will still probably go #1 but man is Laine giving him a run for his money.

Last 18 year old to score 5 points at a World Championship? Jaromir Jagr, 1990 in Bern/Fribourg. It took him 10 games too, not 2. Not trying to compare anything here, though. Laine won't come close to Jagr.

But holy hell can he play hockey.

From what I've seen Laine has an absolute hammer of a shot. I'm not sure who the last 18-year old is I've seen shoot this hard and accurate.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
No he was cut from the main team two weeks or so ago.

So quick question. Buchnevich gets benched in the playoffs for his KHL team until Kovalchuk gets sent home and he doesn't make the world championship team. What makes everybody think that he will come over here and make a sudden impact in the top 6 for the Rangers?

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Our U20 national team has 11 out of 28 players who plays abroad. Mainly in Sweden and North Ameria.

On our U18 team has 4 players in Sweden and one in Boston - that is out of 24 players.

Yes, that`s amazing for a small country for sure! :)

Here is an article by Jim C with World Championship update - I wouldn`t be surprise if Jensen manage to get on the Rangers team next training camp.

http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/jensen-scores-twice-world-championships

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
And Olimbs brothers playing like Sedins in Canucks! ;)

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
True, but Denmark apparently hated to play 5 vs 5 so they thought it would be a good idea to sit in the penalty box. Not a good strategy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I've had him #1 since the WJC. I think Matthews will go #1, and Matthews is very good, but I wouldn't pass up a potential 50 goal scorer.

From what I've seen Laine has an absolute hammer of a shot. I'm not sure who the last 18-year old is I've seen shoot this hard and accurate.

Ovechkin?

So quick question. Buchnevich gets benched in the playoffs for his KHL team until Kovalchuk gets sent home and he doesn't make the world championship team. What makes everybody think that he will come over here and make a sudden impact in the top 6 for the Rangers?

Who said top 6?

Is he good enough to make our team and play in the top 9? Yes, he is.

Also, he was benched because Zubov had no idea what he was doing, not because he didn't deserve a spot in the lineup. He's injured right now as well, recently had elbow surgery, that might've been why he didn't make the team. Looking at that Russian World Championship team, he's better than like half their forwards. I don't know if he would've made the team if he was healthy, but he probably should've.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
just realized Austria isn't there -
the Slovaks and Swiss may make the 'big 6' into a Big 8,
but it seems noteworthy for Austria (5 current NHLers, 4 others going back to '04),
which probably develops as many or more NHL players than most of the other 8,
to fall behind not just Germany(10) and Denmark(7),
but also Norway, France, Kazahkstan, Latvia, Belarus, Hungary

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad