GDT: IIHF U18s - Hughes Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Tough to tell, Turcotte had mono not long ago so I doubt he was even 100% fit.
I thought he looked great early in the tourney, so maybe fatigue set in over the last couple games?

I know Turcotte is said to be better defensively, but Zegras was really impressive with the puck.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His skating really might be the best since McDavid came into the league. Not to say he can do everything McDavid can do, but just going on pure skating and edge work, I am drawing a blank on guys who skate this well coming in recent years.

I feel like there has to be a more down to earth skating comparable then McDavid. I hate that comparison. Creates too many expectations.
Barzal too of course. Is Hughes clearly better then Barzal?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Did Zegras jump above Turcotte for anyone else over the last couple games?

Idk if I have Zegras jumping Turcotte, but it did confirm Byram for the 3rd pick IMO. I didn’t see enough from Turcotte to put him in that spot, and I definitely didn’t think Pod did anything to keep that spot from earlier rankings.

Which isn’t to say Turcotte won’t be good

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

He is who I was debating the most in my head. I feel like Hughes’ edgework is better. I think their hands are comparable, Barzal has amazing hands. Hughes has a better shot in my mind.

I think they are comparable defensively too. I would take Nico over them both to protect a late lead.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He is who I was debating the most in my head. I feel like Hughes’ edgework is better. I think their hands are comparable, Barzal has amazing hands. Hughes has a better shot in my mind.

I think they are comparable defensively too. I would take Nico over them both to protect a late lead.
Just pure skating though? Barzal or Hughes?

(as per defending a lead, ya Nico all day, def think that is a spot that Hughes will need to work on).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just pure skating though? Barzal or Hughes?

(as per defending a lead, ya Nico all day, def think that is a spot that Hughes will need to work on).
I think Barzal is quicker. But I still need to see Jack against another level.

But I don't think it is a appropriate compassion.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think Barzal is quicker. But I still need to see Jack against another level.
funny but I was thinking Hughes was more quick then blazing fast.

Though there were times he went from 60 to 80 in a snap, so is that quickness or blazing speed? I dunno.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I thought he looked great early in the tourney, so maybe fatigue set in over the last couple games?

I know Turcotte is said to be better defensively, but Zegras was really impressive with the puck.
I like Turcotte more. Yeah, Zegras has great hands and passing skills, but almost every other aspects of his game seems to be weaker than Turcotte's. Or maybe I could say that Zegras might get few more points, but I appreciate Turcotte's two-way game more.

On the other hand I was a little bit disappointed by Turcotte's game especially in the semifinals.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Sweden wins the gold medal in overtime. Good game overall.
This was first time when I was impressed by Podkolzin. He played a really strong game against Sweden, and showed what a good power forward can do at this level. I have still some question marks about his game, but at least now I have seen what this guy can do.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
funny but I was thinking Hughes was more quick then blazing fast.

Though there were times he went from 60 to 80 in a snap, so is that quickness or blazing speed? I dunno.
I think they play very different games. I think Barzel's game is predicted on speed and Hughes is much more methodical. So when I see Hughes with his head up looking for the open man it may seem to be a slower pace?

Perhaps the fact that Hughes has that "surveyor" element to his game gives an appearance of being slower? It's difficult to tell from what I have seen so far ..it almost looks like he speeds things up to slow them down if that makes sense at all.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think they play very different games. I think Barzel's game is predicted on speed and Hughes is much more methodical. So when I see Hughes with his head up looking for the open man it may seem to be a slower pace?

Perhaps the fact that Hughes has that "surveyor" element to his game gives an appearance of being slower? It's difficult to tell from what I have seen so far ..it almost looks like he speeds things up to slow them down if that makes sense at all.
No doubt, I thought the same, Hughes doesn't always play at a top speed. The threat of his speed allows him space and he takes advantage of that space by slowing it down. But he can also turn it on when he wants as well.

Offensively I thought his game was very adaptable. He can play fast, he can play slow, he can play as a brilliant play maker, but we also saw him in goal scorer mode as well.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I had Barzal ranked higher than any other draft writer during his draft year of 2015. I was working for todaysslapshot.com (Fanrag) and took a lot of flak for ranking Barzal over such names as Strome, Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Zacha, Connor, Meier and Rantanen. But I was extremely high on Barzal's game and upside.

I can say that Barzal in 2015 was not even close to Hughes in 2019.

Though in 2019, Hughes would not be the first overall pick (likely third behind McDavid and Eichel, and ahead of Marner/Hanifin), Barzal would not crack the top 3 in 2019 (Hughes/Kakko/Byram).

Reactions: mtnet

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I had Barzal ranked higher than any other draft writer during his draft year of 2015. I was working for todaysslapshot.com (Fanrag) and took a lot of flak for ranking Barzal over such names as Strome, Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Zacha, Connor, Meier and Rantanen. But I was extremely high on Barzal's game and upside.

Though in 2019, Hughes would not be the first overall pick (likely third behind McDavid and Eichel, and ahead of Marner/Hanifin), Barzal would not crack the top 3 in 2019 (Hughes/Kakko/Byram).
We were talking pure skating ability, not overall play.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

I’m not sure is Barzal is better than Rantanen or Marner

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Reading past posts. Kakko’s success isn’t guaranteed. Hughes and Kakko will have the same chance at success as a rookie. Kakko is not prolific shooter he is a grinder, possession player, and gets points by going to the dirty areas. Aka power forward, which by the way struggle coming into the NHL. Why because the players are bigger and better. Also the effects of having less ice and space can be difficult to adjust to. I am not saying he won’t succeed but it may not come as easy as people believe.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
This was first time when I was impressed by Podkolzin. He played a really strong game against Sweden, and showed what a good power forward can do at this level. I have still some question marks about his game, but at least now I have seen what this guy can do.

sounds like zacha

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Well, maybe Podkolzin's inconsistency reminds me a little bit of Zacha, but on the other hand he doesn't shy to use his size and strength. Anyway I wouldn't say that Zacha is a power forward.
I don't think Zacha was shy about using his size back in juniors considering he was suspended a few times for using it too much. I'm not sure if that made him gun-shy about using his size, or if he didn't adjust to playing against larger players in the NHL, but he certainly isn't physical enough now.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I don't think Zacha was shy about using his size back in juniors considering he was suspended a few times for using it too much. I'm not sure if that made him gun-shy about using his size, or if he didn't adjust to playing against larger players in the NHL, but he certainly isn't physical enough now.
two words: coaching and systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad