GDT: IIHF U18s - Hughes Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can see the headlines now. "Wide turn, undersized Jack Hughes drafted by the NJ Devils 1st overall to finally play against men in the swamp in front of no fans".

It’s wide pond hockey turns now. I have no idea what the f*** that even is.

I do not get the need to nitpick this kid to death just because you prefer the home town kid.

Reactions: Blender

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I absolutely don’t recall it being this annoying two years ago, and that was actually a toss up choice.

It really is odd, It's like some dude that's been pining over a hot chick for a while and someone else swoops in and then you get to hear how she's a shitty person and he didn't want her anyway lmao.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I absolutely don’t recall it being this annoying two years ago, and that was actually a toss up choice.
I think the fact that Nico and Patrick weren't considered generational talents kept the jealousy at bay, but Hughes is showing he very well might be and some people- or fanbases - can't handle that.

Reactions: nugg and JK3

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
And the weirdest thing is you got Ranger fans on our side defending the kid. This **** is bizzaro world.

I don’t even mind the wide turn stuff, at least that I can watch Hughes and make my own decision, it’s the back patting of themselves by people talking up some prospect call they made 3 years ago so now their opinion on the subject of Hughes is sacrosanct.

Also, that thread is weird because holding the opinion almost the entire world holds is viewed as something crazy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don’t even mind the wide turn stuff, at least that I can watch Hughes and make my own decision, it’s the back patting of themselves by people talking up some prospect call they made 3 years ago so now their opinion on the subject of Hughes is sacrosanct.

Also, that thread is weird because holding the opinion almost the entire world holds is viewed as something crazy.

That is a totally different dude, and he is one of those main board folks who just gets their jollies off on going against the mainstream.

I think they like to feel superior to the experts, so they disagree with them at every turn.

Every fanbase has their delusional posters. We got a couple. You got a few Canuck fans who think they are hiding five McDavids in their prospect pool. Etc.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That is a totally different dude, and he is one of those main board folks who just gets their jollies off on going against the mainstream.

I think they like to feel superior to the experts, so they disagree with them at every turn.

Every fanbase has their delusional posters. We got a couple. You got a few Canuck fans who think they are hiding five McDavids in their prospect pool. Etc.
The Canucks poster thing is dead on, and they are unbearable. :laugh:

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
His skating is so outwordly that he can shift from one direction to another in an instant. Hockey looks so easy with him out there and we all know it's not.

His edge ability is so incredible that there are times it seems completely unnatural.

I watched all 7 games this week, and I found myself a bunch of times pausing the DVR to watch his changes of direction and frame-by-framing them to see if I could figure out how he's doing it. The other odd thing is he can do all this at an unusual high rate of speed.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I can see the headlines now. "Wide turn, undersized Jack Hughes drafted by the NJ Devils 1st overall to finally play against men in the swamp in front of no fans".
2zo28g.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
His edge ability is so incredible that there are times it seems completely unnatural.

I watched all 7 games this week, and I found myself a bunch of times pausing the DVR to watch his changes of direction and frame-by-framing them to see if I could figure out how he's doing it. The other odd thing is he can do all this at an unusual high rate of speed.

His skating really might be the best since McDavid came into the league. Not to say he can do everything McDavid can do, but just going on pure skating and edge work, I am drawing a blank on guys who skate this well coming in recent years.

I feel like there has to be a more down to earth skating comparable then McDavid. I hate that comparison. Creates too many expectations.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It’s wide pond hockey turns now. I have no idea what the **** that even is.

I do not get the need to nitpick this kid to death just because you prefer the home town kid.
When youre as highly touted a prospect as Hughes is, you’re nitpicked more than most. Add in the Finnish #2 and that group of posters and it turns into this

main complaints include wide turns, trying too many dangles/big plays, and size and that should excite everyone that those are the biggest complaints.

His skating is good enough to be our best skater day 1, just not in power

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His skating really might be the best since McDavid came into the league. Not to say he can do everything McDavid can do, but just going on pure skating and edge work, I am drawing a blank on guys who skate this well coming in recent years.

I feel like there has to be a more down to earth skating comparable then McDavid. I hate that comparison. Creates too many expectations.
I have barely watched him play, but Makar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->