IIHF Suspend Evgeny Kuznetsov for 4 Years

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
This is what he said back in May, when those pics/video surfaced:

I’m not always involved in everything that is happening around me. I have never tried drugs and I never will. If you have any doubts about me, I’m ready to undergo a medical test,” he added.
The video was taken last year in Las Vegas, when we won the Stanley Cup. It has no relation to the recent ice hockey world championship,” Kuznetsov continued.
I just visited my friends’ hotel room, but left soon after seeing what was happening there: strange substances on the table and unknown women. I just called my friend and left the room as soon as possible.”

‘Not in love with the coco?’ NHL star Kuznetsov denies drug use as ‘cocaine’ video appears online

Ouch.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Is that ruling him out for the next World Cup?
(...ehh this is more for the Business of Hockey subboard)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Is that ruling him out for the next World Cup?
(...ehh this is more for the Business of Hockey subboard)

Excellent question, I’d like to know this as well.

Technically World Cup is not part of the IIHF but perhaps the NHL will uphold their decision? Either way he’s out of the next Olympics, if NHL attendance were to happen somehow.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
4 years seems excessive, cocaine isn't a PED and I highly doubt he played a game shortly after doing a few lines. IIHF would have been better off requiring him to take some rehab/addiction classes.

Just a terrible approach by the IIHF, so their approach here is more about punishment than help and recovery. Not surprised, their refs are stupid enough.. makes sense for their suits to be even dumber.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
4 years seems excessive, cocaine isn't a PED and I highly doubt he played a game shortly after doing a few lines. IIHF would have been better off requiring him to take some rehab/addiction classes.

Just a terrible approach by the IIHF, so their approach here is more about punishment than help and recovery. Not surprised, their refs are stupid enough.. makes sense for their suits to be even dumber.

Are you suggesting that doing cocaine during international tournaments should be tolerated? Zero tolerance is the right call; playing international hockey is a privilege, not a right. He can still continue making his living in the NHL and attend rehab there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad