WJC: IIHF reffing is a joke MOD WARNING: Post 144

professorchaos

Nov 22, 2011
Langley
The term semi-contact is meaningless on its own anyways.

Pretty much. Fairly easy to pick out the individuals on this site who have never played contact hockey before. Hockey players aren't laser guided missiles who hit their target with pin-point accuracy and force. You throw a check as hard as you can and hope you give your opponent something to think about next time he goes into the corner to pick up the puck (and hopefully he coughs it up due to being gun-shy). If an injury occurs, that sucks, but it is also part of the game. You bleeding hearts out there can make your own men's non-contact league if none already exist (if it does exist, watch that and keep your yapper shut). If none exist, good luck to you.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I'm just going to go ahead and point out that the point of "check" is supposed to be to separate a player from the puck. Not to "hurt".

Really? Because every time I cranked someone, I was trying to hurt them. I never wanted to injure someone (and never did, seriously), but I always wanted to hurt them a little while I was separating them from the puck. My bench always seemed to enjoy this, so did the fans, so did my coaches. Although I didn't play professionally, I did play against pros and with pros in my day. They seemed to think it was a good thing, too.

I guess I was doing it wrong for 30 years. Maybe we all were.

Or maybe internet guys with limited hockey experience outside of watching it on television and commenting about it on message boards have it wrong.

I'll leave that up to the masses to decide.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Fake tough guys with no hockey sense that hit to hurt instead of hitting to separate players from the puck while not worrying incidental injuries usually end up posting on HFBoards just like everyone else with "limited" hockey experience.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Pretty much. Fairly easy to pick out the individuals on this site who have never played contact hockey before. Hockey players aren't laser guided missiles who hit their target with pin-point accuracy and force. You throw a check as hard as you can and hope you give your opponent something to think about next time he goes into the corner to pick up the puck (and hopefully he coughs it up due to being gun-shy). If an injury occurs, that sucks, but it is also part of the game. You bleeding hearts out there can make your own men's non-contact league if none already exist (if it does exist, watch that and keep your yapper shut). If none exist, good luck to you.
Its always good for a laugh when people start throwing out the whole skill vs toughness thing as if its either or thing.

Camara as an example if not just a tough guy but a guy who can play the game and hit.

Not to mention there are not enough "finess" players to make up the teams.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Fake tough guys with no hockey sense that hit to hurt instead of hitting to separate players from the puck while not worrying incidental injuries usually end up posting on HFBoards just like everyone else with "limited" hockey experience.

Then don't take the "fake guy's" word for it.

Faerun

Nov 11, 2011
Helsinki
i'll have to agree on the reffing it's **** no consistency... Lipon got 5+20 for a clear headshot, swiss player tackles only the head after the whistle gets 2+10 wtf... some consistency would be nice useless :rant:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I have to note that after watching Canada versus America, the refs dont seem so bad anymore.

Must be because they let the North American boys play their style.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Answer the question. I'm not comparing, I'm simply applying your logic. Or where does it stop with you? I mean, I would think skate cuts are far more dangerous than concussions so wouldn't it make more sense to apply your logic to prevent skate cuts? If so, then skating fast at all (and falling down) should be a penalty. Game misconduct for skating too fast (dangerous play). Makes sense, right?

Answer:when an accident of this kind, in that moment, i don't care about penalty, i don't care about result of the match, i don't care about hockey at all. The only thing what i can do is praying for injured man.

How do you feel it?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Anyone else notice that linesman are also blowing offside calls fairly often? I've noticed a few in earlier games but the one I just saw in the OT of the Germany/Slovakia game seemed costly.

TheDiver*

Both in hockey and football I was taught to hit to hurt, but not to injure.

TheDiver*

Don Cherry is a sports icon in Canada, and is actually correct on a lot of what he says. The fact that some kid sitting at home posting on the internet thinks he knows more than a former NHL coach, former NHL Coach of the Year, former AHL Coach of the Year, and current hockey analyst who has been on TV spanning across 3 decades is embarrassing. :shakehead

Don Cherry also hasn't coached in about 30 years.

His time has come and gone.

And he was a mediocre coach. I prefer analysts like Hrudey, Ferraro, Roenick, etc. who have contemporary experience.

GardinerExpressway

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney, Australia
The only time I was a Devils fan was in 2001-2002, when Larry Robinson coached them. Or whenever they play the Rangers :)

But here we are talking KIDS. They don't anticipate, especially not coming from European youth championships.

To Beaker: I'm fine with pro-hockey becoming more like pond hockey. If every forward turns into Datsyuk and every defenseman into Lidstrom, who can take a puck away from you without as much as touching you, hockey will benefit greatly, IMHO.

:(:facepalm::tmi:

GardinerExpressway

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Don Cherry also hasn't coached in about 30 years.

His time has come and gone.

And he was a mediocre coach. I prefer analysts like Hrudey, Ferraro, Roenick, etc. who have contemporary experience.

Those three are equally ridiculous (if not worse) ... maybe not Ferraro. Hrudey and Roenick are complete idiots ... you may as well listen to Nick Kypreos. :facepalm:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Anyone else notice that linesman are also blowing offside calls fairly often? I've noticed a few in earlier games but the one I just saw in the OT of the Germany/Slovakia game seemed costly.

the hallmark on international hockey as far as I'm concerned

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Both in hockey and football I was taught to hit to hurt, but not to injure.

Clean hits were meant to "punish". Maybe that wide receiver coming over the middle isn't so fussy about catching the ball anymore. Maybe that fancy stepping high octane forward isn't so excited about about reaching the blue line and cutting across the middle.

What an earth shattering premise. Again there is no equivalent in soccer.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm just going to go ahead and point out that the point of "check" is supposed to be to separate a player from the puck. Not to "hurt".

And sometimes a wrist shot can be used to get the puck to the net. But other times, in order to be more effective, a slap shot is used. Why go at things halfheartedly when the key is to be effective?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Not that I want to stir up a hornets nest again but I will. What was the difference between the US goalies spear on Huberdeau last night and Boone Jenner's last year. All of a sudden Jenner is an animal with a record carrying over from last year. Pretty inconsistent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad