IIHF 2021 World Hockey Championships could be cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Such a shameful reaction from IIHF regarding Belarus situation. Fact that the Lukashenko regime is still even considered as a host is pathetic. Fasel is a pos
More like exactly the other way round, you victim of western Ministry of Truth.

Reactions: pukovnik

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Quick look into the balance sheet reveals that this wouldn’t be too much of a loss. The contribution of non-commercial sponsors is marginal.

Reactions: KTl

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
These mentioned European hockey federations are not able to make independent decisions. I do not believe their representative as the IIHF President would change anything in the European club hockey in a positive way. American or Canadian do not even care for European club hockey.

I do not know who would candidate from Sweden or Finland, but I heard about Petr Bříza from the Czech Republic. This guy has neither authority nor skills/abilities to run even your beer league, not saying about the IIHF.

Seems like a fairly narrow minded opinion. There are plenty of great hockey minds in North America who appreciate club hockey in Europe and it benefits the NHL to have strong club hockey in Europe.

Similarly, from what I've heard there has been no one from either Finland nor Sweden expressing an interest in replacing Rene Fasel. However, a forward thinker like Finland's Erkka Westerlund has a varied background and might be an excellent candidate.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Seems like a fairly narrow minded opinion. There are plenty of great hockey minds in North America who appreciate club hockey in Europe and it benefits the NHL to have strong club hockey in Europe.

Similarly, from what I've heard there has been no one from either Finland nor Sweden expressing an interest in replacing Rene Fasel. However, a forward thinker like Finland's Erkka Westerlund has a varied background and might be an excellent candidate.
Of course, I meant top hockey officials, not ordinary hockey fans or lower-ranked hockey officials. American or Canadian will always prefer the NHL as a sole leading global league, he will never give a priority to the European club hockey over the NHL. That approach is definitely not what will make the European club hockey stronger.

The NHL benefits the strong European club hockey only if it is effectively controllable by the NHL. Definitely, not stronger.

Westerlund may be a good coach & personality but he does not have an experience with running hockey as a top-manager, and even on an international level.

Perhaps something has changed over the last year when I read it. But Fasel´s successor should be a man from the current IIHF Council, a guy with experience & contacts. Tretyak said he is not interested in that position. Likely Russia will not have their own candidate, so they will support someone else. As said earlier, Petr Bříza showed some interest as well as Franz Reindl, Henrik Bach-Nielsen (Denmark), Sergej Goncharov (Belarus) & Bob Nicholson. If there are more candidates, I have not heard about them. Originally, the vote should take place in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The topic of the thread in itself is political. Either the thread should be allowed or not, but it can not be discussed without politics. At the very least change the title.

The thread is about the WC and problems about choosing which country host it. It is not about the politics events of said countries. If you can't discuss it without politics, you have the right to not discuss it.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Swiss federation diplomatic as always.

They have concerns about playing in Belarus and expect a decision from the IIHF soon.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
The head of the Finnish hockey association reaffirming his/our stance: the tournament can't/shouldn't be held in Belarus:

Same by Latvian Minister of Foreign Affairs.

As long as IIHF fails to make a decision, Latvian side can't do anything either. I would expect that the local federation is going ahead in preparations, planning various scenarios (but not spending any money yet), while the government is ready to take away the financing, in case IIHF affirms Belarus as the other host.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kummola thinks Fasel's stance has changed and the tournament is moving away from Belarus:

Rene Fasel tyrmistyi, kun halailukuvat Lukašenkan kanssa päätyivät julkisuuteen – Kalervo Kummolan mukaan MM-kisat siirtymässä pois Valko-Venäjältä

Oliko Fasel sillä kannalla, että kisat kannattaisi pelata muualla?
– Näyttää vähän olevan, että pää on pikkuhiljaa kääntynyt. Sveitsin lehdistöstä on ilmeisesti tullut hänellekin aika paljon painetta.

Translation:
"Was Fasel of the opinion that the tournament should be played elsewhere?
- Looks like his mind has slowly turned around. Swiss press has apparently put a lot pressure on him."

(MOD)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BlizzardSloth

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Interview in German (maybe you can translate):
Umarmung mit Lukaschenko - René Fasel: «Es ist blöd gelaufen und ist mir auch peinlich»

Short:
He's sorry for the way his visit looked and it was interpreted. He says he wanted to try to talk with Lukashenko about political problems. He also says that the IIHF has a contract with the hockey-federation of Belarus and that it's their duty to organize the tournament there.
He also said that a removal of Belarus as a host wouldn't change anything on the situation in the country.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The pictures were also discussed and Fasel was told there wouldn't be press at the meeting and was shocked to see them circulated in the medias. Lukashenko clearly used them for his own purposes.
I'll be laughing out loud if this turns out to be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's (and Fasel's) back. It was apparently Lukashenko who wanted the cameras at the meeting for his own propaganda purposes - but in the free west, the response to the friendly hug wasn't apparently quite what he expected. Aljosha, I think you just scored an own goal with less than a minute on the clock. Such an unforced error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Interview in German (maybe you can translate):
Umarmung mit Lukaschenko - René Fasel: «Es ist blöd gelaufen und ist mir auch peinlich»

Short:
He's sorry for the way his visit looked and it was interpreted. He says he wanted to try to talk with Lukashenko about political problems. He also says that the IIHF has a contract with the hockey-federation of Belarus and that it's their duty to organize the tournament there.
He also said that a removal of Belarus as a host wouldn't change anything on the situation in the country.

Why can't Finland and Latvia pay a compensation to Belarus out of their pockets instead of IIHF for the contract breach, I wonder...

Last edited:

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Latest news is that Denmark has offered to take over Beleraus groups and host responsibilities. They hosted the female world championship in handball a month ago with zero infected players and a strict hotel/practice bauble and it seemed to be a huge success.

There are also talks with Slovakia ongoing.

It will obviously be without any fans too.

(Danish source)
BREAKING: IIHF-præsident BEKRÆFTER - DANMARK har søgt VM-VÆRTSKAB

Reactions: Jussi and oksun

oksun

Jan 2, 2013
Latest news is that Denmark has offered to take over Beleraus groups and host responsibilities. They hosted the female world championship in handball a month ago with zero infected players and a strict hotel/practice bauble and it seemed to be a huge success.

There are also talks with Slovakia ongoing.

It will obviously be without any fans too.

(Danish source)
BREAKING: IIHF-præsident BEKRÆFTER - DANMARK har søgt VM-VÆRTSKAB
DIU formand: Vi kan ikke tåle en VM aflysning

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Last warning. If you cannot discuss this without involving politics, I am closing this thread and this subject is not to be talked about until a final decision is made by the IIHF. Prove you can follow rules.

Thanks

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
According to Russian press, Fasel says, they are still going to hold the tournament in Belarus and Latvia. But Denmark and Slovakia are involved in talks as well.

But it's a serious question: who will pay the compensation to Belarus, if the WHC is moved from the country? I doubt IIHF has any money in the current situation.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
According to Russian press, Fasel says, they are still going to hold the tournament in Belarus and Latvia. But Denmark and Slovakia are involved in talks as well.

But it's a serious question: who will pay the compensation to Belarus, if the WHC is moved from the country? I doubt IIHF has any money in the current situation.

I don't think it's serious issue at all since no media has even brought it up.

Edit: IIHF rules:

20.2 WITHDRAWAL OF HOSTING RIGHTS / CANCELLATION OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP
If the Host does not fulfill its commitment to host and organize the Championship, the Host will be fined by the IIHF with CHF 1 million except in the case of force majeure. The fine does not restrict the rights of the IIHF and/or the IIHF member national associations for compensation arising from the withdrawal of the Host or a confirmed participant. Furthermore, if in the opinion of the IIHF Council and after having exhausted all possible remedies with the Host:
1. The Host is in fundamental breach of the Host Country Contract,
2. The Host is unable to meet its obligations in accordance with the hosting contract,
3. The Host has failed to meet any material pre-condition on which hosting rights were granted,
4. There is reason for concern that the well-being or the safe freedom of movement of the players, officials, travelling spectators and media is in doubt, then the IIHF Council shall have the right to withdraw hosting rights from the Host and return the Championship to the IIHF without being liable for compensation to the Host and to allocate the Championship to another member national association, subject to ratification by Congress.

Reactions: KTl, GX and cg98

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You want to be kids? Fine. This topic is done until we get an actual answer as to what will happen. Do not try to make another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad