OT: II. 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
They're not particularly interesting to me either. Usually I would root against the Rags but I can't bring myself to dislike this team because they're pretty meh to me.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Maybe I'm out of sync from watching Torts hockey for 3 years, but I don't get the claim that they're boring. They play an up-tempo puck-possession game. Their passing is clean and crisp leading to tons of scoring chances. Maybe because they don't have a dynamic offensive superstar?

From an outside perspective I don't really know what the Rangers are. Their lineup is just so random with St.Louis, Richards and Nash. I'm painfully indifferent to them. The only players I feel are "Rangers" players are McDonagh, Staal and Henrik. The rest is just a bunch of guys who I mostly remember playing on other teams.

Archgoat

Sep 29, 2011
Really the only player I like on the rangers. Maybe Richards if he comes back to Dallas. :naughty: But if it comes down to Bruins vs Rangers I will cheer for the rags.

How can you not like Zuccarello? He is always fun to watch.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
How can you not like Zuccarello? He is always fun to watch.

Goddammit totally forgot about him. :laugh: Too bad he is a dirty Norwegian. :naughty:

Which bring reminds me to this question: How do you sink a Norwegian Submarine?

You knock on the hatch

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
From an outside perspective I don't really know what the Rangers are. Their lineup is just so random with St.Louis, Richards and Nash. I'm painfully indifferent to them. The only players I feel are "Rangers" players are McDonagh, Staal and Henrik. The rest is just a bunch of guys who I mostly remember playing on other teams.

How I would describe the Rangers in most years.

MetalGodAOD*

It's strange, Boston really is not so different but the perception is different. Krecji, Bergeron, and Rask are their homegrown core. Surrounded by players known from other teams: Iginla, Erikkson, Smith, Chara (though he made his hay in Boston sure).

I think the biggest difference is perhaps is because the big name players New York brings in don't pan out well, so people don't associate them with New York when thinking of their success.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It's strange, Boston really is not so different but the perception is different. Krecji, Bergeron, and Rask are their homegrown core. Surrounded by players known from other teams: Iginla, Erikkson, Smith, Chara (though he made his hay in Boston sure).

I think the biggest difference is perhaps is because the big name players New York brings in don't pan out well, so people don't associate them with New York when thinking of their success.

I would disagree.

Homegrown full time NYR's:

Girardi
McDonagh (he counts)
Stepan
Kreider
Staal
Zuccarello
Hagelin

Homegrown full time Bruins:

Bergeron
Krug
Lucic
Hamilton
Marchand
Krejci
Boychuck (he counts)

Most of the difference makers and big time money guys on the Bruins are homegrown. When I think of Boston I think of those guys and Chara. When I think of the Rangers and their heavy lifters it's much more mixed as to where the guys came from. I would agree with you if we were talking about pre-Nash trade Rangers, which was a mostly homegrown core, but was also a noted different course for NY.

MetalGodAOD*

I would disagree.

Homegrown full time NYR's:

Girardi
McDonagh (he counts)
Stepan
Kreider
Staal
Zuccarello
Hagelin

Homegrown full time Bruins:

Bergeron
Krug
Lucic
Hamilton
Marchand
Krejci
Boychuck (he counts)

Most of the difference makers and big time money guys on the Bruins are homegrown. When I think of Boston I think of those guys and Chara. When I think of the Rangers and their heavy lifters it's much more mixed as to where the guys came from. I would agree with you if we were talking about pre-Nash trade Rangers, which was a mostly homegrown core, but was also a noted different course for NY.

Nah I get that. But if you break that list down:

Rangers: Arguably 3 #1/#2 D-men. Top line Center, 2 top 6 LWs, top 6 RW.

Bruins: 2 Top 6 Centers, 2 top 6 LWs. #3, #4 and #5 D-men.

Definitely a simplified way of looking at it, but the Rangers homegrown D-men are far better than the Bruins, while the Bruins have more Center depth from their homegrown core. I still don't think the difference is as huge as it's perceived.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The reason for the perception is just what we said earlier, the Rangers have a reputation for building in free agency and via trade. There was a 4-5 year blip after the '05 lockout where that seemed to change but lately it seems like things are going back to business as usual. Might be unfair but it really is about the reputation.

aloonda*

Goddammit totally forgot about him. :laugh: Too bad he is a dirty Norwegian. :naughty:

Which bring reminds me to this question: How do you sink a Norwegian Submarine?

You knock on the hatch

zucc and hank are the reasons I like the rangers, the rest are kind of meh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad