IHWC Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
I think it is absolutely hysterical, that this is the official site, i mean, the sarcasm and the ironic comments are really great, every year.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
those are the power rankings from last year after the tournament ended.
Sweden won, czech silver, finland bronze, canada 4th,

they will be updated soon after Canada plays!

The ranking is based on results, not which players are on the teams.

Sweden is reigning world and olympic champion, so they are of course ranked as number one.

Until next week or so.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
The ranking is based on results, not which players are on the teams.

Sweden is reigning world and olympic champion, so they are of course ranked as number one.

Until next week or so.

Actually no, the old power ranking was sweden = 1, czech 2, finland = 3
because that was the final power ranking of last years tournament where
sweden got gold, czechs silver and finns bronze, and yes they couldnt up date it
until all the teams played, thats why they updated the power rankings after
canada, sweden and slovakia played, believe me I have seen those old power rankings way before the tournament started, anyways, here is the new power ranknings now that every team has played.
Who said its based on what players are on the team?

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/article/ranking/

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Kind of ironic coming from a Swede. Salo didn't deserve all the scorn heaped upon him by the Swedish press.

He certainly didn't, but it still was a ******** play.

Besides, it was the comment that was made on the site i was laughing at, not Salos mistake, no need for you to be so sensitive.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Updated:

#1 Russia
Proof that being extremely offensive is sometimes a good thing

#2 Sweden
We sincerely hope that our offensive outburst will not damage diplomatic relations with our Baltic neighbors in Latvia

#3 Czech Republic
Hotter than Petra Nemcova (do your own Googling)

#4 Finland
Remind us again why Erkka Westerlund isn't coaching the national team next year?

#5 USA
We are the Youth Gone Wild

#6 Slovakia
It's just slo much fun to score!!

#7 Switzerland
2-1, 2-1...don't you get bored?

#8 Canada
Well, it's because Canadians don't believe in running up the score, eh?

#9 Germany
Ach, nicht so gut

#10 Latvia
IHWC.NET suspects Teamka would win a wrestling match with RIX

#11 Norway
Hey Pal, Jussi Markkanen felt a lot worse after Game Seven

#12 Belarus
Colonel, initiate Operate Bulldog immediately--bring Mikhail and Andrei to Moscow. Do I make myself clear?

#13 Ukraine
Oleksandr Fedorov must get his longlost cousin Sergei to defect to Ukraine immediately

#14 Denmark
A warning to the Ukrainians: if you stereotype us as fat and jolly, we will make fun of your perogies!!

#15 Italy
Auditioning as extras for Gladiator II

#16 Austria
They're going downhill, and we don't mean skiing

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
lol canada is ranked 8th, 18 people turned Yzerman down to join the team...not the best team you'll see

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
#12 Belarus
Colonel, initiate Operate Bulldog immediately--bring Mikhail and Andrei to Moscow. Do I make myself clear?

Dont forget Sergei!

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Canada has more players turn down invitations than any other team. (perhaps USA)

Yeah, but they have much better secondary options as well. Finland only needs 2-3 players to turn down/get injured and they will already be a lot worse. We have no one to replace guys like Koivu, Jokinen and Timonen. And while I think our replacements for guys like Kipper and Bäckström are good, they're not one the same level as those two guys.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I'd say the smaller hockey-power a country is, the more being without your top-guys hurts.

Germany, for example, is without their top-4 defensemen (actually, more like top-6), top-6 forwards and top-3 goalies.
If you just take a look at the defense, it's like Anaheim playing without Pronger, Niedermayer and Beauchemin. The top defensemen are far superior to anyone else, especially on offense.

The big countries have the talent and the depth to replace pretty much everyone, the smaller ones are screwed if their best players are missing, because they have neither the talent nor the depth to make up for it.
Well, they may have depth, but it is at a low level.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I'd say the smaller hockey-power a country is, the more being without your top-guys hurts.

Germany, for example, is without their top-4 defensemen (actually, more like top-6), top-6 forwards and top-3 goalies.
If you just take a look at the defense, it's like Anaheim playing without Pronger, Niedermayer and Beauchemin. The top defensemen are far superior to anyone else, especially on offense.

The big countries have the talent and the depth to replace pretty much everyone, the smaller ones are screwed if their best players are missing, because they have neither the talent nor the depth to make up for it.
Well, they may have depth, but it is at a low level.

Exactly.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada

Pretty funny that you say that actually........because all 3 of those are guys that could be playing for team Canada..........which 3 for team germany are equivalent of Pronger Niedermayer Beauchemin again?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I knew that someone wouldn't understand it...

There isn't a single German defenseman who has the skill-level of one of those three, but that wasn't what I was talking about.
Germany has four defensemen who are clearly better than the rest, they are better in pretty much everything and are the only ones who really have offensive upside.

The difference between those four and the rest of the defensemen is as big as the difference between Pronger, Niedermayer, Beauchemin and the rest of Anaheim's defense. Take those guys out and Germany is screwed, just like Anaheim would be screwed.

That's the big difference between the big and the small nations. Take away the top four defensemen from Canada and you still have a defensive-lineup full of NHL-stars, take away the top-four defensemen from Germany and you go from NHL-regulars plus the best German goalscorer in the DEL to guys who have a hard time getting special-teams icetime in the DEL.

Countries who have less stars are hurt the most if those stars aren't there. So even if a country like Canada is missing players who are better then the players a country like Germany is missing, those players are far more important to Germany than the others are for Canada, as Canada's replacement players are of a much higher caliber than Germany's are. Especially in comparison to the players they replace.

twelve

May 19, 2005
That's the big difference between the big and the small nations. Take away the top four defensemen from Canada and you still have a defensive-lineup full of NHL-stars, take away the top-four defensemen from Germany and you go from NHL-regulars plus the best German goalscorer in the DEL to guys who have a hard time getting special-teams icetime in the DEL.

Countries who have less stars are hurt the most if those stars aren't there. So even if a country like Canada is missing players who are better then the players a country like Germany is missing, those players are far more important to Germany than the others are for Canada, as Canada's replacement players are of a much higher caliber than Germany's are. Especially in comparison to the players they replace.

Yes, that is the problem having so many roster-spots for foreign players in the DEL teams. German players are less likely to at least get a chance at being on the ice during powerplay or boxplay, than, for instance, Swiss players in the NLA.

When only five spots on the roster are open to foreign players, you have to use at least four or five Swiss players in special situations, and while that might make the powerplay less effective at first, it's a plus for Swiss hockey in the long run, especially in the national team, where players with experience in box- and powerplay are needed.

I think that Germany is in a difficult phase at the moment. The best players are in the NHL, but while that is a good sign, there aren't enough German players there yet that there is a good number of them available for the world championships. Once there are more Germans in the NHL, so that it's more likely that some of them don't reach the playoffs with their team, more players will be available to the national team for international tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad