IHWC Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LtnCastillo

Registered Driver
Oct 13, 2006
Helsinski
Countries who have less stars are hurt the most if those stars aren't there. So even if a country like Canada is missing players who are better then the players a country like Germany is missing, those players are far more important to Germany than the others are for Canada, as Canada's replacement players are of a much higher caliber than Germany's are. Especially in comparison to the players they replace.

Agreed. Hope phaneuf_fan got it too, finally. Team Canada wouldn't be totally screwed if they lost their 3 best defencemen, say, Pronger, Nieds and Phaneuf. But with Germany without Seidenberg, Ehroff and Schubert things may go south bigtime. Hope Deutschland manages to get things going today against Norway. I've always had sympathy for "Ze Germans" in the IHWC.

About this thread's main subject, the almighty Power Rankings: they somehow always manage to hit their target. It's strange that the "official site" of the games has something as "unofficial" as these. I wonder who are the masterminds ;) behind this.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
"We allways love to play Switzerland" Sweden. :)

"Naumovs should have suddenly pulled out a horn and blown it in Cirone's face" Latvia

"The Swiss bankers can't buy a goal" Switzerland

"Put Arnold Schwarzenegger in goal" Austria :biglaugh:

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
twelve

When only five spots on the roster are open to foreign players, you have to use at least four or five Swiss players in special situations, and while that might make the powerplay less effective at first, it's a plus for Swiss hockey in the long run, especially in the national team, where players with experience in box- and powerplay are needed.

I watched Davos playing someone few years ago and it actually was an interesting match. I think Switzerland has very good potential to be successful, although it would help if it had bigger population.

BTW, my Swiss friend told me that Bykov (current Russian coach) and Khomutov were quite influential in increasing people's interest in hockey in Switzerland. Was it really so?

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
More than the power rankings I enjoy Zaugg's full-length creations. Like today's invaluable analysis of why KLM is better than ZZM. Where by the way we learn that

"Sure, AK Bars Kazan won the Russian Superleague championship this year"

twelve

May 19, 2005
I watched Davos playing someone few years ago and it actually was an interesting match. I think Switzerland has very good potential to be successful, although it would help if it had bigger population.

BTW, my Swiss friend told me that Bykov (current Russian coach) and Khomutov were quite influential in increasing people's interest in hockey in Switzerland. Was it really so?

Everyone knew Bykov and Khomutov. Everyone loved watching them play together, and that did make watching hockey an even greater treat. They were the ones who enabled Fribourg Gotteron to reach the Playoff finals four times in a row. But that was also the problem. They invariably lacked the energy to also win the final, because they were an the ice too much in the first stages of the playoffs. That doesn't change the fact that they are legendary.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Updates:

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/article/ranking/

#1 Sweden
Strange but true: Johan Davidsson has 12 points in Moscow and 15 career points in the NHL
#2 Canada
Congratulations to Canada on the victory over Belarus -- Félicitations au Canada pour la victoire contre Bélarus

#3 Finland
Shh! We're Flying Finns under the radar
#4 Russia
Why couldn't Italy have used a Russian goalie instead?
#5 USA
These young men are now starting to believe in the dream of winning bronze
#6 Slovakia
Ah, but even if we lost 10-2, we'd STILL be more skilled than the Americans
#7 Czech Republic
Unlike Skoda, losing to Germany was not simply clever

#8 Germany
They blanked the Czechs without an Uwe, Udo, or Uli on the blueline
#9 Switzerland
Scoring a goal a game is great--if you're, say, Alexander Ovechkin
#10 Italy
From now on, all Team Italy players must be named Jason
#11 Belarus
Stupid Canadian Parliament!

#12 Denmark
Just too nice to reenact the Stockholm Bloodbath on ice
#13 Latvia
Hello. My name is Rodrigo Lavins. You put us in the Relegation Round. Prepare to die.
#14 Norway
Couldn't ask for more from Morten Ask

#15 Austria
Whoever thought Moscow could look so much like Vienna?
#16 Ukraine
Hooking, hooking, kneeing, hooking--is that a traditional Ukrainian dance?

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
#2 Russia
On May 9, it's all about victory

#4 Slovakia
In 2011, we'll kindly ask our guests to remove their goalies before entering the arena

#5 Czech Republic
We don't plan to Czech out early

#8 Switzerland
Instead of suspending Ovechkin, couldn't they have let us borrow him for the game against Canada?

#16 Ukraine
Look out, Division I--we're recruiting Wladimir Klitschko!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
New ones are out, the best being...

Canada

How good is that when we win 5-1 and every goal is scored by a Canadian

Cono

Oct 17, 2004
Turku
#12 Italy

Just when you think you're out of the Top 12, they pull you back in.
lol

UBCsalmonslayer

@2Holmes2
Oct 20, 2006
Vancouver/Nanaimo BC

Wetcoaster

The ranking does look a couple of tournaments back.
So sweden's olympic gold and last years wc still counts.
Which is why I asked what link he was using that showed Canada Number 1 in IIHF rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad