Injury Report: Igor Shesterkin (Day-to-Day, Mild Groin Strain)

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I just remembered, he had a groin injury in the bubble, too. I know we don’t know yet, but I almost wonder if this guy is like too athletic for his body and will always pick up these injuries going forward. Not a knock on him, I’m just saying.

Reactions: bernmeister

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Well it doesn’t get much better than that for now.

There’s what, 2 months left of the regular season? Surely if it was one of several injuries they’d know and be able to rule him out.

Not implying he’s not going to miss time. But bodes will for us seeing him again this season.

Reactions: egelband

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Let's hope for the Rangers sake it was a very painful event but one that doesnt result in any significant long term damage. It can happen.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Could be like a 4-6 week thing. That wouldn’t be too bad. I mean this season is trash anyway the teams above are already ahead and with this division playing each other more, points are going to stay in this division.

Plus with Panarin still out and Mika playing like he is, there are too many question marks. Not expecting much but if they will themselves into a playoff spot will be very impressed.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
is he not getting an MRI? Why would he need to go to the doctor to get diagnosed? Shouldn't he have some sort of imaging to know exactly what's wrong?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
With any luck it’s a strained, severely strained groin or something and he’s back in a month or so. Worst case, it’s on to 2021-22!
I had a second degree hamstring strain several weeks ago trying to do a split (kids: dancing to Billie Jean in your 30s while drunk is not the same as in your teens while sober). Swore I had torn everything in my leg. Writhing with pain at first. Couldn’t put weight on it. A few hours later I managed to walk hone. The next day I iced it and took Advil. I’m still feeling the effects and can barely squat but certainly improving each day. And this is just with home rest: no doctors and no PT.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
is he not getting an MRI? Why would he need to go to the doctor to get diagnosed? Shouldn't he have some sort of imaging to know exactly what's wrong?

My line of thinking is that they know what the issue is, but it’s a matter of evaluating the severity further.

But I’d think if it was some of the things being thrown around on here (aka arrow to the knee) then they would have ruled him out for the rest of the season already.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've seen guys walk off under their own power and then you see them a year and a half later. I've also seen guys be OUT and finish the game.

It's very hard to speculate based on seeing it. A lot of pain in the moment doesn't necessarily equal that amount of damage.

What I don't like is that it was non-contact.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
My line of thinking is that they know what the issue is, but it’s a matter of evaluating the severity further.

But I’d think if it was some of the things being thrown around on here (aka arrow to the knee) then they would have ruled him out for the rest of the season already.

I mean that’s the thing... wouldn’t some kind of imaging dictate the severity? if it’s any kind of tear, imaging would tell us how severe.

it’s potentially a positive sign that he hasn’t been ruled out for the rest of the season already, but it isn’t off the table yet. Hoping for some good news though.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I've seen guys walk off under their own power and then you see them a year and a half later. I've also seen guys be OUT and finish the game.

It's very hard to speculate based on seeing it. A lot of pain in the moment doesn't necessarily equal that amount of damage.

What I don't like is that it was non-contact.

It's funny because the way he contorted to me looked like how I react when I bulge or herniate a disc in my back. Thankfully that wasn't the issue because there is no hell in this earth like chronic back issues and sciatica.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Anything strained or pulled is a huge W. Tendon tears (ACL) or hip would have long term concerns.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I mean that’s the thing... wouldn’t some kind of imaging dictate the severity? if it’s any kind of tear, imaging would tell us how severe.

it’s potentially a positive sign that he hasn’t been ruled out for the rest of the season already, but it isn’t off the table yet. Hoping for some good news though.

Yeah, we’re not out of the tunnel quite yet. But I take the lack of information and the recent Vince tweet as pretty good news.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's funny because the way he contorted to me looked like how I react when I bulge or herniate a disc in my back. Thankfully that wasn't the issue because there is no hell in this earth like chronic back issues and sciatica.
I did a bit of martial arts in my younger day just to keep in shape and I was wrestling this dude who was a bit older than us. He was an absolute brick shithouse and tough as nails. I hated getting paired with him in sparring.

After beating me like an egg for 10 minutes, he has to stop because his back is tightening up and I see this Brock Lesnar dude turn white with fear.

He goes "you ever have a back spasm?" and I'm like "no" and funeral-serious he goes "lucky you."

Reactions: egelband and Fitzy

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

The swelling needs to go down before an MRI will really tell you anything. Then, once you get a good, clear MRI, you still need an expert doctor to assess the damage. There also might be something that the doctor wants re-imaged from a different angle based on what he's seeing, so the process can be iterative. We're sitting here at about 17 hours since it happened. It's not unreasonable to think they're still in the assessment stage.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX

This is the truth. I've broken and torn everything in over 40 years of playing hockey, but a couple of years ago I developed sciatica and Jesus, the pain was about a 9 on a scale of 1-10. I played through 2 broken ribs and I thought that was bad until my bout with sciatica. After steroids and 2 months of Physical Therapy, most of the pain went away. I stretch like crazy every day and try to strengthen my core and surrounding muscles.

As far as Shesty goes, it's hard to tell from just watching. I thought it was an adductor muscle groin pull or tear. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Reactions: Fitzy

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
From my experience with similar injuries, he's currently on the phone with his insurance provider arguing about whether they'll cover the MRI, and what his deductible is and what he's spent so far this year. That's definitely the delay

some insurance sucks. thankfully my insurance isn’t too bad even as a part time worker.

athletes get free insurance for life, not that they couldn’t afford to pay out of pocket for most things.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad