Value of: Ignite the Calgary Flames (Trade proposals)

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
There is not a single Flames fan that would want that deal to happen and for good reason. Would have no problem having Ekholm but he is nowhere near the value of Backlund. Have people actually watched him play this year? It sure doesn't seem so with these proposals.

Contrary to what you may think, young players struggle sometimes. I know it's shocking to hear. This team is not struggling to turn the corner. Watch some hockey and look at the standings. This team is clearly on the way up in their rebuild. Such an ignorant comment but I'm not surprised given the source. You never have a single good thing to say about the Flames and you're supposedly a Flames fan.

I swear most of these posters don't bother to actually watch the Flames. Chiasson is not an impact guy, was never supposed to be but he is been just fine. He has been as expected. Maybe lower your expectations of what you expect from 4th line players. As for the goaltending, it hasn't been great, but not terrible. It's been pretty average. Sure it needs to be better but I believe in the tandem that is there.

[mod] Any shot high glove has been an auto goal against the flames for the last two weeks, and it hasn't been a secret. Trocheck took the exact same shot from the same place two times in a row and scored on both.

Also- you call out the "fan" intentions of other posters entirely too often. Fans are allowed to be critical of the team, we're the ones who have to suffer through their growing pains year after year. We're the ones that have to deal with the intolerable gloating of oiler fans (who are actually right for once). Grow a set and stop punching with the gloves on- the flames have been a bitter disappointment this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Anyone want Chiasson for future considerations? Need him off the roster so Gully will stop playing him on the ****ing first line.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Anyone want Chiasson for future considerations? Need him off the roster so Gully will stop playing him on the ****ing first line.

Players I would prefer on Gaudreau's line;

Frolik
Brouwer
Bennett
Ferland
Jankowski
Poirier
Pribyl
Shinkaruk

Chiasson is tied with Klimchuk

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Flames are a strange team.

11th in the league in possession - so way better there than in the past.

But 6th-worst in the league in PDO.

They desperately need steadier goaltending but that's not going to happen this year.

I don't think they need to panic. Their roster is turning over in a good way at the end of the year (no more Wideman, Bollig, Elliott or Engellund).

They need to find a better goalie, then see how things go from there. Elliott clearly is not the guy. When the "backup" has a save percentage that's 30 points better than the "starter", there's a problem.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Flames are a strange team.

11th in the league in possession - so way better there than in the past.

But 6th-worst in the league in PDO.

They desperately need steadier goaltending but that's not going to happen this year.

I don't think they need to panic. Their roster is turning over in a good way at the end of the year (no more Wideman, Bollig, Elliott or Engellund).

They need to find a better goalie, then see how things go from there. Elliott clearly is not the guy. When the "backup" has a save percentage that's 30 points better than the "starter", there's a problem.

Exactly, Flames have been a much better team than their record would indicate even though they sometimes look terrible watching them and some of our top players have struggled.

We've just been super unlucky as our PDO would indicate

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Exactly, Flames have been a much better team than their record would indicate even though they sometimes look terrible watching them and some of our top players have struggled.

Last 2 weeks we've been legitimately bad.

December was fun though haha

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009

They have been somewhat snakebitten, but the poor PDO is also a result of their uneven goaltending.

Aside from an awesome stretch by Johnson, their goaltending has been very sub-par - especially Elliott who has been inexplicably awful. I wasn't expecting him to repeat last year's numbers, but a save percentage in the .910-.915 range seemed like a reasonable floor for him. Instead he's in Hiller territory at .891 and is the worst goalie in the league with at least 10 starts.

They're getting rid of a ton of dead weight at the end of this season and Bennett certainly won't be chewing up a lot of the available cap room, so they'll have decent flexibility to re-shape the roster even if they make no major moves, which is their best bet in my opinion.

They really do need to find a starting goalie though. Johnson is a solid backup, but that's all he is.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
They have been somewhat snakebitten, but the poor PDO is also a result of their uneven goaltending.

Aside from an awesome stretch by Johnson, their goaltending has been very sub-par - especially Elliott who has been inexplicably awful. I wasn't expecting him to repeat last year's numbers, but a save percentage in the .910-.915 range seemed like a reasonable floor for him. Instead he's in Hiller territory at .891 and is the worst goalie in the league with at least 10 starts.

They're getting rid of a ton of dead weight at the end of this season and Bennett certainly won't be chewing up a lot of the available cap room, so they'll have decent flexibility to re-shape the roster even if they make no major moves, which is their best bet in my opinion.

They really do need to find a starting goalie though. Johnson is a solid backup, but that's all he is.

Exactly, which is why I'm so confident and excited that the Flames are headed in the right direction despite all the ups and downs we've gone through this season.

Once we rid ourselves of all the terrible contracts coming off the books this offseason in Wideman, Engelland, Smid, Jokipakka and Bollig (not to mention Stajan and Bouma's contracts end after next season), we'll have the opportunity to add some real quality depth on the backend and hopefully up front.

And totally agree on Johnson. He was honestly the one UFA I wanted the Flames to sign this year, even though I knew he was just a backup. He's an excellent backup but expecting more from him is asking for danger. Really hope we re-sign him though as long as he realizes he's still a backup.

My only concern moving forward is the Brouwer contract. It really pisses me off that we have to deal with him for 3 more seasons after this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad