Iginla vs Gaudreau

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
For a short period of time Iginla was arguably the best player in the world.

Johnny hasn't reached those heights yet. And that's not including the full package Iggy brought to the table

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I love Johnny. The dude is a wizard with the puck on his stick. His stick handling, vision & IQ are nuts. But Iggy is one of the greatest power fowards to ever play the game. Only 3 of his 20 seasons he failed to score 20 goals. Had 11 straight 30+ goal seasons. Was a physical freak with a laser-beam of a shot and could beat the crap out of even the scariest of goons. An underrated passer (Not as good as Johnny, but he could set-up his linemates well). And on top of all of that he was a class act that was well respected all around the league, even by his biggest enemies. What Johnny is doing at his size in the NHL is amazing but he's still got a way to go to be mentioned alongside Jarome.

I do wish we signed Iggy last year. Watching him & Johnny on a line together would've been awesome.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Iginla will always be the best player in my eyes. He could shoot, he could fight, he could use his body weight because he was a truck. Hell, he could even pass. He was considered a top 5/top 3 player in the league (before Crosby/Ovi/Malkin).

If he was ever given the talent that Johnny has right now, Iggy would be hitting 55-60 goals in his prime. It's such a shame it did not pan out like that, but in my eyes Iggy will always be the better player.

It's amazing that JG is already about 1/3 complete to getting to Iggy's Calgary Flames points record.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Iginla was playing with middle 6ers on his line for pretty much his entire career and set franchise records.

Gaudreau has the potential to go down as a top 3 Flame of all time but I don't think he'll ever touch Iggy in my eyes, even if he breaks his points total. He was given a better centre in his first season than Iggy ever had

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Iginla was playing with middle 6ers on his line for pretty much his entire career and set franchise records.

Gaudreau has the potential to go down as a top 3 Flame of all time but I don't think he'll ever touch Iggy in my eyes, even if he breaks his points total. He was given a better centre in his first season than Iggy ever had

I completely agree. Howber the counter to that argument is that Gaudreau makes Monahan that much better.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Is it even a guarantee Gaudreau stays with us past this contract? It’s way too early to tell on this.

That said, prime Iggy was the best player in the world for a short while.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
For a short period of time Iginla was arguably the best player in the world.

Johnny hasn't reached those heights yet. And that's not including the full package Iggy brought to the table

I’m not sure Iggy was better than Lindstrom, Neidermeyer, Pronger, Sakic, Or Yzerman. But he was close. Just like Johnny is close right now.

That said Johnny needs to have the longevity Iggy did to make this a fair question.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If we win a cup or two before Gaudreau's contract expires, I can imagine him still signing. I bet he'd love to go close to home at some point. But a player of his calibre wants to win, if he likes the situation here, he'll sign again.

debil

Sep 23, 2006

who was that? I noticed he played with one-dimensional role player monahan most of time.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Give me Johnny.

Iggy was frustrating at times and never brought us a championship though coming close in '04. He had a decade of being a top 10 winger, and 4 or 5 years as one the game's most dominant power forwards (unfortunately he was up against HOFers Peter Forsberg, Brendan Shanahan, Vincent Lecavier and Joe Thornton for a number of those). Iggy also potted a TON of empty net goals throughout his whole career. And finally, he was a shell of himself IMO for the last 2 or 3 years of his time in Calgary.

I know the book isn't written on Johnny, but IMO he is slightly more skilled (better skater, better hands, equal game sense; Iggy with the edge in shot and physicality), and there's a chance we could contend with him as our superstar for a number of years to come (if this isn't a sick anomaly of a stretch we're in lol).

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Give me Johnny.

Iggy was frustrating at times and never brought us a championship though coming close in '04. He had a decade of being a top 10 winger, and 4 or 5 years as one the game's most dominant power forwards (unfortunately he was up against HOFers Peter Forsberg, Brendan Shanahan, Vincent Lecavier and Joe Thornton for a number of those). Iggy also potted a TON of empty net goals throughout his whole career. And finally, he was a shell of himself IMO for the last 2 or 3 years of his time in Calgary.

I know the book isn't written on Johnny, but IMO he is slightly more skilled (better skater, better hands, equal game sense; Iggy with the edge in shot and physicality), and there's a chance we could contend with him as our superstar for a number of years to come (if this isn't a sick anomaly of a stretch we're in lol).

Johnny definitely has more skill, Iginla is the more complete player. I honestly think it's as easy as that.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Johnny definitely has more skill, Iginla is the more complete player. I honestly think it's as easy as that.

I saw some incompleteness in Iggy's game even at his peak. He was awesome don't get me wrong and I hate to speak ill of him at all, but he never had very soft hands, in fact at times they looked somewhat clunky. And he was never super fast - definitely not the shifty fast of a Gaudreau. They're fairly apples and organges to each other.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I saw some incompleteness in Iggy's game even at his peak. He was awesome don't get me wrong and I hate to speak ill of him at all, but he never had very soft hands, in fact at times they looked somewhat clunky. And he was never super fast - definitely not the shifty fast of a Gaudreau. They're fairly apples and organges to each other.

I can agree he didn't have that "touch" factor. But the guy was so dominant. You could not beat him at any facet of the game, including intimidation. Hell when someone would run him, it only made him better. When Iggy got pissed off, he was unstoppable. Gaudreau will never have that element to his game.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Gaudreau is producing at a point per game clip in his career, 361 pts. in 362 games. While he has a long way to go before the end, if he maintains that pace, he'd outpace Iginla and rank with Fleury. Iggie played more games (1554) in his career and so racked up more points (1300). Theo only played 1084 games and ended up with 1088 points. If Johnny has a long career maybe he could pass both.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad