Iginla vs Gaudreau

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Two very different players.

Still think Jarome is the better overall player, while Johnny is a better offensive catalyst to those around him. The 2001-2002 Iginla season is probably the best of the two and that would hold true if Johnny gets 110 or so points this year, as that was such a crappy era to play in for offense. Iginla also has some hardware and I am not sure JG will ever get anything more than the Byng, so my vote is Jarome is the better player.. He also had crap to work with most years.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Different eras but imagine them together. Would’ve been better that Lecavalier + St. Louis.

Can’t we just sign Iggy to a PTO? He’s gotta be as good as Hathaway if he’s in shape. I just wanna hear one time, Gaudreau to Iginla....he shoots.....he scores and the Flames have won the Stanley Cup! Flames win, Flames win!

Reactions: Nanuuk

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
2 completely different circumstances for 2 completely different players playing in different NHL eras.

Iggy may have been the best RW of his generation and would have had much better goal totals if the Flames would have ever found him a #1 Center. Conroy was very good but he was a second liner as was Lankow. Jarome's played that power forward physical style as good as anyone in his time but as we all know that style of game is no longer played. The games was full of clutching and grabbing and big body checks. Jarome excelled for hockey was played back at that time.

Johnny is Johnny and has found a new gear I did not think he could find but like St. Louis Johnny is determined to prove all the naysayers wrong including me.

With Johnny just in his fifth year in the NHL Jarome is Calgary's best player in the last 25 years. Until Johnny can make it to a cup final in my mind Johnny is a solid second forward.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Janks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Iggy was the best all-round player in the league at his height. It's just a shame that, unlike Gaudreau, Iginla never had a well-built team around him in Calgary.

Even in our "window of contention," we had the likes of David Moss filling in on the top line.

But man, we couldn't be comparing two more different wingers.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
It’s really a discredit to both players to do a poll like this at this point in time, I think.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'm going to wait 10 years of Gaudreau being a flame before I make judgement.

One could argue Gaudreau could also be the best player at his peak.

Both guys can take over and win games themselves. Iggy could also fight though, whereas Gaudreau will dangle you.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Iginla all day everyday and you'll never change my mind.

tenor.gif

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even a prime Iginla wouldn't be as effective in today's game and Gaudreau wouldn't stand a chance playing in the 2000's.

I think people forget about Iggy's offensive tools in retrospect and just view him a physical specimen, but Iggy didn't score 50 in that era by fighting. He had a wicked release and great offensive instincts, and he and Gaudreau would be magic together in the current game.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Even a prime Iginla wouldn't be as effective in today's game and Gaudreau wouldn't stand a chance playing in the 2000's.

Iggy was scoring 50 and scraping 100 points after the rule changes. In the early 2000s he was a good play-maker too, he was a really smart hockey player, always open.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think people forget about Iggy's offensive tools in retrospect and just view him a physical specimen, but Iggy didn't score 50 in that era by fighting. He had a wicked release and great offensive instincts, and he and Gaudreau would be magic together in the current game.
I don't forget how good Iginla was, he was one of the most offensive players in a low scoring era. My point was that without being able to play a physical game today, he's left with his scoring and what I picture when I imagine Johnny and Iggy playing together is what we're seeing with Mony & Lindholm anyways. I just don't think together they would be playing at a much higher level than that top line is now is all.

I could be wrong, who knows!?

Iggy was scoring 50 and scraping 100 points after the rule changes. In the early 2000s he was a good play-maker too, he was a really smart hockey player, always open.
All I meant by him not being as effective, is on the physicality side. Power forwards can't do now what they used to be able to do. I have no doubt a prime Iggy would put up big numbers with Johnny, but Iggy was Iggy because he could crash and bang and fight and control games with his physical presence as much as his offensive. In this game, I don't think he could do that like he did in the 2000's.

Last edited:

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
All I meant by him not being as effective, is on the physicality side. Power forwards can't do now what they used to be able to do. I have no doubt a prime Iggy would put up big numbers with Johnny, but Iggy was Iggy because he could crash and bang and fight and control games with his physical presence as much as his offensive. In this game, I don't think he could do that like he did in the 2000's.

Who knows. He was effective when he was giving and taking hits for sure, he was like the Hulk. I think he would find a way to just finesse it if he was playing today at age 26, getting open and creating his own offense. But also players can still play a heavy game today I think.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The moment Jarome lost the ability to power his way around a defender coming down on the wing his game became a lot less dominant. Was still a great goal scorer and a very underrated playmaker but as soon as he started the half board turn his days of being elite were numbered. I just don't see that kind of marked decline for Johnny as he relies a lot more on brains than brawn. Not sure if that makes him "better" or not but I could see him eclipsing Jarome's point totals by the time his career is over.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Who knows. He was effective when he was giving and taking hits for sure, he was like the Hulk. I think he would find a way to just finesse it if he was playing today at age 26, getting open and creating his own offense. But also players can still play a heavy game today I think.

I think he’d be a better version of Jamie Benn probably

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I can't seem to find it, but I seem to recall Jarome was indeed a sort of finesse player in the beginning. However, one of the coaches he had sat him down and told him he needed to round out his game or something and add a physical edge to his game, so he did.

I cannot recall where I read this, nor which coach was the guy who asked him to develop his game in the way requested. I'll keep digging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad