Iginla vs. Dickie Moore and Yvan Cournoyer

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I didn't say that Iginla's regular season results trump those of Moore. I was mainly showing that they were comparable, at least in terms of offensive production. As I said earlier I still consider Moore to be superior.

I don't know how much consideration I would give to playoff performance with these two players. Iginla generally played on middling Calgary teams, while Moore played on the greatest team in hockey history. As a result, Iginla only had one playoff run that extended beyond the first round while Moore had seven. That being said, Moore's playoff results were somewhat more impressive, though not hugely so. I believe a playoff comparison would be much more valuable when comparing Moore and Cournoyer.

Yeah, I get that it's not really a fair comparison to Iginla - still Moore was a huge part of those playoff teams and does deserve credit for it.

As for comparing Moore to Cournoyer - I think that unless you place a huge amount of emphasis on longevity, Moore is so obviously the better player than you don't even have to get into playoff performances.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
A comparison of raw playoff points per game across eras is pretty worthless.

And "leading his team in playoff scoring" is giving Iginla bonus points for playing on a worse team. Dickie Moore was losing out guys like Jean Beliveau, Maurice Richard, and Bernard Geoffrion. When Beliveau and Richard were both injured in 1959, Moore stepped up and led the playoffs in scoring with 17 points in 11 games.

Dickie Moore had the 2nd most playoff points of any player in the 1950s. And regardless of the team he played on, that's pretty damn impressive.

What would be a better form of comparison? I can't really think of anything other than comparing the numbers to team mates or other players and that's pretty hard for Iginla seeing as the Flames have had the worst luck when it comes to actually winning a playoff series. Or comparing Iginla's numbers to that of everyone else who played in the same number of rounds as Iginla but that sounds very tedious.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
and a top-10 is pretty close to the same value no matter when.

Wow.. no way.

I mean as a quick and dirty rule of thumb to compare players ok but.. the level of competition faced has to be taken into account or you've got some tough explaining to do.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Moore is the best player of the bunch. Iginla isn't a bad 2nd choice but there are things you like about Cournoyer too. An amazing playoff performer and a guy who had winning follow him around like a cold.

Either way, with many of us putting Iginla ahead of Cournoyer does this pretty much mean that Iggy shouldn't have a lot of restraint getting into the HHOF considering he's being ranked above a HHOFer like Cournoyer who gets very little criticism?

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Moore had bad knees, and, more significantly, a broken leg in childhood that was never properly set. Without those impairments, as a faster skater, his game would have been better. How much better is anyone's guess?

Just thought I'd mention that :wally:

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Wow.. no way.

I mean as a quick and dirty rule of thumb to compare players ok but.. the level of competition faced has to be taken into account or you've got some tough explaining to do.

The 09/10 season actually proved that using Top 10 Scoring and Hart Trophy finishes for a detailed comparison is next to useless unless there is a HUGE discrepancy

Henrik Sedin finished 1st in Hart voting and 1st in Scoring.
Yet he rarely is considered a Top 5 player in the world.

Alex Ovechkin finished ahead of Crosby in Hart and Lester B. Person voting the 3rd year in a row.
Yet most people consider Crosby the better player.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Wow.. no way.

Fully agree here as some seem to think that the level of competition in the NHL has been pretty constant over time and it's simply just not the case.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Moore was the league scorer what, two, three times? Iginla has been a great complete player but he has never dominated his era. He's more of a "what if...?" player in someone that had all the tools but accomplished little with it. Remember before Moore and Co arrived, the mighty Habs were in a slump even with the Rocket Richard there. It's with Moore and later on Beliveau that the machine was put back on track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad