Rumor: Iginla interested in the Blues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I'll take Iginla's heart over Stewart's anything any day. I've mostly been against signing these older players, but in Iginla's case I think he'd be a great fit. Time to trade out guys like Stewart, who continually disappear, and bring in guys with heart, who want to work.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Some of the criticism Stewart gets isn't deserved; he isn't lazy and he doesn't have a bad attitude (nobody said that here, but it is a common complaint). He takes the coaches criticism on board, works hard, is well liked in the dressing room and him and Tarasenko this season shows those off ice positives.

He is streaky, frustrating, doesn't have the highest hockey IQ and desperately needs a playmaker. Even if we address the latter, the first 3 won't disappear.

I'd rather keep Stewart, but if we got a good centre for him and could add Iginla, then it's something worth exploring.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Some of the criticism Stewart gets isn't deserved; he isn't lazy and he doesn't have a bad attitude (nobody said that here, but it is a common complaint). He takes the coaches criticism on board, works hard, is well liked in the dressing room and him and Tarasenko this season shows those off ice positives.

He is streaky, frustrating, doesn't have the highest hockey IQ and desperately needs a playmaker. Even if we address the latter, the first 3 won't disappear.

I'd rather keep Stewart, but if we got a good centre for him and could add Iginla, then it's something worth exploring.

I'm right there with you. I think the energy he brings is crucial for any team to succeed, and I think it helps the blues out a lot. He can be lazy, but I'd take his stats last year any day of the week, and his hitting and overall power game if you will is what makes him valuable.

I'd love to keep him, but this Iggy rumor as well as the whole arbitration thing just makes him another complicated piece of the puzzle, someone that army may unload to make things easier with petro and other UFA's.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I have to say I'm terrified of Chris Stewart being a big breakout star elsewhere, far more than I am David Perron.

I think Stewart has already broken out, in my opinion. Sure he may add 5 or so goals, but a 35-35 season is what I see him reaching, and he was on pace for like a 33-33 goal season last year and we all saw what he did when he came to the blues. Perron on the other hand has had his injuries derail any of his breakout seasons and I think he's more likely to succeed somewhere else.

Stewart is a perfect fit here and if anything I see him doing worse somewhere else.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Losing Christ Stewart won' be that big of a problem. It's not like he makes plays, he's good for some goals and that's it. With the right center yea he will "breakout" but still that will not improve his IQ, discipline or determination on the ice. He will always make the same mistake defensively his hockey IQ is just that bad. If he wants more than 4mil and I have a fair trade on the table, then good bye.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Unless he's getting ready to be a Jamie Langenbrunner veteran presence, I'm not that interested. I just recall Wade Redden catching him from behind on a breakaway and nearly breaking up a goal against the Flames this year. He's 36 and on the decline. Speed is leaving him. No way am I letting Stewart go in favor of a 36 year old. I agree with Alkhra, but I would definitely offer Oshie and Perron first for a center before trading Stewart.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Unless he's getting ready to be a Jamie Langenbrunner veteran presence, I'm not that interested. I just recall Wade Redden catching him from behind on a breakaway and nearly breaking up a goal against the Flames this year. He's 36 and on the decline. Speed is leaving him. No way am I letting Stewart go in favor of a 36 year old. I agree with Alkhra, but I would definitely offer Oshie and Perron first for a center before trading Stewart.

He's 36 but the guy can still score. Sure his defensive game has lost a bit, not that it was ever that great, but if we can trade Stewart for a center than iginla would make a dang good replacement, while also adding some veteran presence.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
When you compare the stats, Iginla is holding up quite well to guys like Stewart. Even excluding Iginla's time with the Pens and a boosted roster, he had about .7 pts per game while Stewart had .75 all season. Iginla had more hits for Calgary alone, in a quarter of the games, as Stewart had all season.

One thing, while looking at the stats, that intrigues me is that Iginla took a surprising amount of faceoffs this season: more than 200. He didn't go particularly well.. or well at all, seeing as how he was hovering around .500. But it begs the question: with a little work, could we convert him into a center?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It'd be a stretch to think he could be a center, but I could see him moving there like Tkachuk did for us. Iggy has always been a good faceoff guy.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
As I said in another thread:

Jarome Iginla is consistently a 35+ assist winger. He isn't just a goal scorer. He makes players around him better and he creates plays like a center. He is a tremendous all-around offensive player.

Everyone is hung up on the Blues getting a center. The problem? There aren't any at a decent price. 5 million for Stephen Weiss? Heck no. Overpay for Couturier/Schenn? Meh.

More than likely we are stuck with our centers unless Army overpays for a marginal improvement like Weiss.

Iginla may require a little more money than we'd like to give but he is still a high impact player that scores and creates opportunities. He'd be great with a goal scoring center like Berglund.

It also opens up the possibility of trading Perron or Stewart for a center.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
As I said in another thread:

Jarome Iginla is consistently a 35+ assist winger. He isn't just a goal scorer. He makes players around him better and he creates plays like a center. He is a tremendous all-around offensive player.

Everyone is hung up on the Blues getting a center. The problem? There aren't any at a decent price. 5 million for Stephen Weiss? Heck no. Overpay for Couturier/Schenn? Meh.

More than likely we are stuck with our centers unless Army overpays for a marginal improvement like Weiss.

Iginla may require a little more money than we'd like to give but he is still a high impact player that scores and creates opportunities. He'd be great with a goal scoring center like Berglund.

It also opens up the possibility of trading Perron or Stewart for a center.

Everybody is talking about trading for a center, but based on the interviews with army and the insight all reporters have given out, I see the blues signing one before making a trade. It's been clear to some that the blues need 2 centers, so perhaps they do 1 through FA and 1 through trade. But I for sure think that the blues will sign one.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Everybody is talking about trading for a center, but based on the interviews with army and the insight all reporters have given out, I see the blues signing one before making a trade. It's been clear to some that the blues need 2 centers, so perhaps they do 1 through FA and 1 through trade. But I for sure think that the blues will sign one.

It comes back to money. We have under $15m to sign Pietrangelo, Stewart, Russell and a centre.

Insanely perfect scenario sees our 3 RFA's getting $11m (more likely to budget for $12.5m), so we are going to have to clear salary if we sign someone. Obviously doing it through FA means that we can trade a player for futures.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

Based on everything I've seen...

In free agency, we will have to overpay a #2/3 center to be more of what we already have.

In the trade market, no one is giving up an actually good center unless you're overpaying(see Dallas).

Iginla may be our best route. He certainly improves the offense and that is what the search should really be about. It's not like our wingers light the world on fire.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
It comes back to money. We have under $15m to sign Pietrangelo, Stewart, Russell and a centre.

Insanely perfect scenario sees our 3 RFA's getting $11m (more likely to budget for $12.5m), so we are going to have to clear salary if we sign someone. Obviously doing it through FA means that we can trade a player for futures.

I think availability is a factor too. The blues can't just trade away Perron or Halak for a center with a snap of the fingers. There has to be centers being shopped and their has to be a fair deal in place. Money is an aspect for the blues, sure, but if they can't get a deal done for a center than they need to explore the market.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think availability is a factor too. The blues can't just trade away Perron or Halak for a center with a snap of the fingers. There has to be centers being shopped and their has to be a fair deal in place. Money is an aspect for the blues, sure, but if they can't get a deal done for a center than they need to explore the market.

That's true, but if the reports are true, then Armstrong has been talking to teams about Halák and Perron for over a week. Maybe Stewart and Oshie (don't believe that one) as well.

We might have the basis of trades somewhat agreed depending on what plays out in UFA. Wait and see how things play out before committing.

What can't be escaped is that if we sign someone at $4m+ in UFA then we are going to have to move someone.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I agree with everyone here, if we sign Iggy that spells the end for Stewart. Not going to lie though, having a guy like Iginla mentor Tarasenko would be pretty neat.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Trading Stewart would be a mistake. If it happens it had better be to a team in the East that we won't play much because he kills us.

He's the best natural goal scorer on this team, and we can't score. I'd be sad to see him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad