Proposal: Iggy at the deadline

cashman rules*

I really want this guy at the deadline,whats it gonna take to get him without trading the following...

Looch
Seguin
Bergy
Krejci
Marchand
Bevs
Hamilton
Rask
Horton(maybe)

I don't care if it is a short rental to get him either:)

Bi Coastal Bawse*

If the Sens are sellers we could see about Alfredson.

Other younger options, Okposos, Clutterbuck.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
hey mods isnt there a thread somewhere on this....but if not, I'd give up a prospect and a conditional second or third if they resign him. Milbury says he's playing very inconsistent which is better than the 'like crap' I've heard and seen. Even Calgary writers and fans are starting to say he's not playing very well.

Maybe a change of scenary will do, or he is pressing but in my viewing he's slipped quite a bit. Caron seems to have fallen out of favor- this guy had his own name plate at the Garden all summer but now he has put two good games together. He might interest Calgary.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'd give up a low pick for Clutterbuck but I'm not positive the Wild will be sellers? But tht seems like a good option and he would be a good fit on the third line, give it some size and snarl

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
hey mods isnt there a thread somewhere on this....but if not, I'd give up a prospect and a conditional second or third if they resign him. Milbury says he's playing very inconsistent which is better than the 'like crap' I've heard and seen. Even Calgary writers and fans are starting to say he's not playing very well.

Maybe a change of scenary will do, or he is pressing but in my viewing he's slipped quite a bit. Caron seems to have fallen out of favor- this guy had his own name plate at the Garden all summer but now he has put two good games together. He might interest Calgary.

He always has a slow start .. thought I heard a couple insiders shoot this rumor down

not saying it couldn't happen though;)

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I really want this guy at the deadline,whats it gonna take to get him without trading the following...

Looch
Seguin
Bergy
Krejci
Marchand
Bevs
Hamilton
Rask
Horton(maybe)

I don't care if it is a short rental to get him either:)

Iggy makes most sence.He is a UFA at end yr so Bruins do not have keep him.Calgary I am sure is not wanting to sign him for what he will be wanting at his age either.They were smart they would want some prospects and or picks too.Time for them get younger .But they locked in afew older players to long deals so that makes me kind of wonder if Bruins can pull this off.One thing for sure though,Bruins would be ones in the power position not Flames,They might risk losing him for nothing they do not make a move.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To pry Iginla away from Calgary, a team will have to grossly overpay. If he's going to be a pure rental, I don't think it will be worthwhile.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Will cost two of suuban spooner Caron and koko plus a pick IMO.

Bruins I'm certain arent interested but it will be fun to watch what team bends over pulls down their hockey pants and says give me some Jerome Iginla.

speaking of *****, JI his going to have to get his head out of his and start producing or no one is going to give up much for him

I admit though the 3.5 season goal projection is misleading if they are all game winners

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
The Flames need centers more than any other team in the league right now (aside from Edmonton)...

If it's a straight 1 for 1, I'd imagine they ask for our best center (Bergy?), which Chia would probably laugh at the idea of trading away a lock Selke candidate in the prime of his career for a player in decline, so I can't imagine player for player trade talks getting very far.

They need talented, passing centers to play with Iggy anyway; not against em. Without Iggy, they may as well tear it all down, and start loading up on draft picks. And that would cost us a hell of a lot more than just Bergy in the long run. My guess would be similar to the Rick Nash package just because Flames management is stubborn and ridiculous.

The Flames didn't want to even talk trade last year, or the year before that. Their stance is likely to be the same this year, as long as they have a snowball's chance in hell of making the playoffs. That means they'll still require a massive over payment to even peak their interest.

No thx. Not cost effective whatsoever going into next year with a reduced cap. You don't take chances like that on players as old as Iginla. Corey Perry on the other hand...

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
hahaha are u guys kidding me,Bergeron ? Calgary has no asking power at all.They do not move him they will be ones over paying him.He is a UFA at end year.Let them keep him and risk losing him for nothing,see how long they wait then.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bruins I'm certain arent interested but it will be fun to watch what team bends over pulls down their hockey pants and says give me some Jerome Iginla.

speaking of *****, JI his going to have to get his head out of his and start producing or no one is going to give up much for him

I admit though the 3.5 season goal projection is misleading if they are all game winners

People are stuck in a time machine here. I wouldn't trade Spooner Subban or Koko straight up for Iginla right now.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Iginla has a young family and is a fixture in the Calgary community. He faces a tough decision. I can't see him moving to and signing Boston and playing for the Bruins beyond a rental and the Bruins would have to overpay to just get a rental so I think they should look elsewhere.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
hahaha are u guys kidding me,Bergeron ? Calgary has no asking power at all.They do not move him they will be ones over paying him.He is a UFA at end year.Let them keep him and risk losing him for nothing,see how long they wait then.

Not saying it's fair, or intelligent. I'm saying it's what they'll want. I live in AB, and this is the sports radio talk. Flames management isn't Jay Feaster. It's about a hundred talking heads that don't know squat about hockey, and they all have 1 unanimous thought: Iggy is the best player. Therefore, Iggy is the franchise.

What they don't understand is: Iggy is the franchise, and the franchise is crumbling all around him. He's still the best player on that team by far, but even he can't reverse the lack of talent on that team. They get threw by out working their opponents and over working their best players.

Anyway, I'm just saying, they're management is oblivious to the position they find themselves in. They don't have any negotiating leverage, and they don't care. They want what they want.

Honestly. I think you're also underestimating the sheer loyalty of Jerome Iginla. He likes Calgary; he's comfortable there. If they offer em a fair deal, he will sign it. He's said as much over the years.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
I can't seem to find the report anywhere. But acouple of years ago someone did a piece on big rental acquisitions leading to negative results for the teams that acquired them.

Sigh, it was a good piece that I thought explained not getting a kovalchuck type player (was the big "rental" at the time) pretty well.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I can't seem to find the report anywhere. But acouple of years ago someone did a piece on big rental acquisitions leading to negative results for the teams that acquired them.

Sigh, it was a good piece that I thought explained not getting a kovalchuck type player (was the big "rental" at the time) pretty well.

We won a cup with Karberle as a big rental acquisition. It is a gamble, but if it pays off and you win the cup. The trade was worth it every time regardless of who was included.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I am in on Alfie. 110% my prime target with his relationship with Z, Kelly and Chia, it makes sense and we might even get him to re-up for a season or 2.

I just don't see the Alfie thing happening, as much as I love him.

He's spent his entire career with the Senators, and with the struggles they're having this season, I just don't see him bolting the team or the city. The guy is loyal, perhaps to a fault. I think that the Sens would seek his opinion on being traded....I just don't see a world where it happens.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
We won a cup with Karberle as a big rental acquisition. It is a gamble, but if it pays off and you win the cup. The trade was worth it every time regardless of who was included.

sure we did. Was it cause of him? Did he make the intended impact?

Try and answer that without the crutch of "it was a team effort". We all know it was, but a "HUGE" rental acquisition does not play 12 minutes a game during a stanley cup run. (as a Dman no less)

Also, he was a "rental" because we didn't offer him 4.25 mill a year x 3 years like Carolina did. That had the intentions of kaberle finishing his career in Boston (the only team he wanted to get traded to from Toronto)

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
He's spent his entire career with the Senators, and with the struggles they're having this season, I just don't see him bolting the team or the city. The guy is loyal, perhaps to a fault. I think that the Sens would seek his opinion on being traded....I just don't see a world where it happens.

I don't know the exact situation, but didn't Ray Bourque do sth similar?

Is Alfie retiring after this season? If that's so, I'm sure everyone in Ottawa would want him to join a contender so he can win his cup.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Alfie is 40 this will be his last chance to join a contender

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010

A cup run he contributed virtually nothing to. He was a warm body, that's it. He played our system, and did nothing Kaberle-esque to warrant his acquisition as a reason for our winning the cup. Aside from gaining the red line and dumping the puck in, Adam McQuaid could have filled his role better than he did.

Didn't our PP go 0-30 or 40 something for a stretch while he was on the team? For what we paid for em, he was supposed to QB that PP to respectability. He QB'd it alright lol!

Anyway, I can't see Iginla just disappearing into the system if the B's were to pick em up. He's still a great finisher; maybe not so much right now, but he IS a slow starter. I'm just saying the Flames did not want to deal em when his value was high, and I have a hard time believing that they want to deal em now, while his value is at an all time low.

They really aren't risking anything by keeping em. He'll sign a fair deal, and the status quo will remain in Calgary. Just the way they likes it ;)

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
If the Sens are sellers we could see about Alfredson.

Other younger options, Okposos, Clutterbuck.

Led the league at one point last year in shots and hits. Our kind of guy. Would be nice to plug into that 3rd line.

We need another big guy who can go into a corner, come up w/ the puck, make a play, scoring ability would be nice, too.

I love Iggy, always have, you'd have to have an extra hole in your head not to. I have to say I liked the idea 2 years ago better than I do now. If they want to hand him over for nothing, sure, but that's not going to happen. Another option in Calgary is a guy like Glenncross.

What ever they're going to do, the sooner that player(s) can acclimate to the system. Develop chemistry, learn to stand perfectly still on the PP, etc.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not worth more than a first and maybe Caron or Krug.

Don't see anyone giving Calgary a big return for him. Don't think he is that good anymore either.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I just don't see the Alfie thing happening, as much as I love him.

Remember Ray Bourque?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad