If you win the cup you will repeat (66 % of the time)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I found this stat to be cool.

If your team wins the Stanley cup; you have a 66 % chance of them winning it again within 7 years.

Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA have all repeated this decade. Detroit, NJ, Colorado have all recently repeated. After the NHL expanded in 1967 the Islanders, Oilers, Flyers, Bruins have also repeated while teams like NJ, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Montreal have all had multiple teams win within 7 years.

I did not include Washington because they have not had an opportunity (or 7 years) to repeat.

Since 1967 only 7 teams that won the stanley cup have NOT repeated within 7 years.

Boston - 2011
Anaheim - 2007
Carolina - 2006
Tampa Bay - 2004
Dallas - 1999
New York Rangers - 1994
Calgary - 1989

The pattern seems to be every winner every 4 or 5 years does not repeat. This leads me to believe Washington will not repeat as it's been 7 years.
-
All-Time Stanley Cup Champions
-
I found this out on my own

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Very, very interesting. I guess it shows that dynasties are a real thing. I wonder what this stat is like for the NBA....

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
What's the number since the playoffs were expanded to 16 teams? 1979-80 Season.

The 12 team era definitely is not a comparable data point today.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I think the converse is also true: 100% of teams that don't win the Cup won't repeat.

tenor.gif

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I mean, it stands to reason that a team that's good enough to win the Cup has a really good team. Teams that good rarely see major roster turnover - and even if they do, it's usually on the fringes, and not the core players. So it would make sense that they remain competitive, and do repeat, more often than not.

Pretty cool to see that 2/3 teams manage to do it.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
So its happened 4 times in the last 14 years and 3 times in the previous 37 seasons. 6/7 after 1994 and the first lockout?

Seems to be a lot harder to win the cup.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Well if hockey was completely random and all teams were equal, a team that wins the cup would have about a 21.5% chance of winning it again within 7 years. Since hockey isn't completely random, there tends to be 6-7 teams that really divy up the majority of the odds to win the cup each year, and when one of those teams win, they typically keep everything intact, meaning it's actually likely they will stay one of the teams with the top 6-7 odds of winning the cup, making it likely they will win again given 6-7 tries at it.

Also, many teams overreact to a couple of playoff losses, and teams that are in that group that lose a few times, tend to throw out a lot of the good with the bad, and weaken themselves, actually removing some of the competition from the teams in that group who have won it before.

The capitals are a bit of a success story because they never did really give up on it after years of disappointment. They kept a good team together, made some tough decisions along the way, and kept giving themselves a chance, and finally things went there way and they have a cup.

Reactions: byrath

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Washington deserves to be Cup favourites. Still there chances are just getting to the Final are maybe one in four, and then to win the Cup, one in seven. (my estimates) It's a tough road for even the best team in the league.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think there are a 141 2/3 chance you are correct.
I recently read and interview where that promo took around 8 tries to get right and the math kept getting better and better each time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad