If you were to trade for this year's #1 pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
This should be interesting. A friend was saying to me today that he thought it was conceivable that Washington could trade the #1 overall pick in the draft.
I had to enlighten him somewhat on what scouts have been saying about Ovechkin, and the belief of many that he could be the best prospect to come along in over a decade (possibly longer).
Anyway, although I find it HIGHLY unlikely the Caps would ever trade that pick, let's have some fun. Who would you presently give up from your team to acquire the #1 pick in this year's draft (could of course include your draft picks as well).

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Parise, Martin, couple of spare picks, maybe adding Suglobov or Pilhman or Foster in.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Ribeiro + 2004 1st pick + Perehoggin

That would be a fair offer that would be politely rejected.

I think nobody could make an offer that would be accepted.
But Gretzky as been traded twice... so who knows!

BJ21

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As a Penguins fan he'd be cheapest to us...but still ridiculously expensive.

I'd offer our first(second overall) + Michal Sivek + Matt Murley + another prospect(Christensen perhaps).

Sivek & Murley are young but ready to step into the NHL. Christensen is an interesting character, he led the WHL in points in 2002-03 but wasn't able to average a point a game this year, but his defense improved, he played much better after being traded to Brandon...so who knows.

It's three good prospects and Malkin essentially.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
The Vancouver Canucks' 1st round pick in 2004, 1st round pick in 2005, Bryan Allen & Matt Cooke for the Washington Capitals 1st round pick in 2004 (1st overall) and Jacub Cutta.

jincargo

Jan 28, 2004
Ill tell you right now....the Caps are going to want Quality over Quantity.

You could offer 3 out of your top 5 Prospects....if the #1 guy isnt included in that package...it's not even worth posting.

Sorry to sound rude on the matter...but that's the way the cookie crumbles and the ping pong balls fall.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Handsome B. Wonderful said:

I'd offer our first(second overall) + Michal Sivek + Matt Murley + another prospect(Christensen perhaps).

Sivek & Murley are young but ready to step into the NHL. Christensen is an interesting character, he led the WHL in points in 2002-03 but wasn't able to average a point a game this year, but his defense improved, he played much better after being traded to Brandon...so who knows.

Lots of quantity, but not much quality. Murley and Sivek could very well find themselves on the waiver wire next season, and Christensen could be allowed to go to unrestricted free agency.

I think it'd take the 2nd overall pick + Whitney for Washington to even return the phone call. But I don't see the Caps being interested in that package. Conversely, I don't see the Penguins giving up any more than that.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jacobv2 said:
Lots of quantity, but not much quality. Murley and Sivek could very well find themselves on the waiver wire next season, and Christensen could be allowed to go to unrestricted free agency.

I think it'd take the 2nd overall pick + Whitney for Washington to even return the phone call. But I don't see the Caps being interested in that package. Conversely, I don't see the Penguins giving up any more than that.

eh, I still have high hopes for Murley and Sivek. Christensen was just a possibility as the other.

If it takes Whitney...well...I'd do it...

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

i think the second overal would have to be assumed in that offer.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mizral said:
The Vancouver Canucks' 1st round pick in 2004, 1st round pick in 2005, Bryan Allen & Matt Cooke for the Washington Capitals 1st round pick in 2004 (1st overall) and Jacub Cutta.

Mizral, you realize the Caps have two extra low firsts and a stocked farm. Why would they pass up Ovechkin for more quantity?

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
If it takes Whitney...well...I'd do it...

The 2nd overall (Malkin) and Ryan Whitney? If I was the Pens management, I wouldn't even consider it. Way too much value for the Pens to give up. I know AO is a great prospect, but so is Malkin. To me, having Malkin AND Whitney is more valuable to a team than AO alone would be.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
craig1 said:
The 2nd overall (Malkin) and Ryan Whitney? If I was the Pens management, I wouldn't even consider it. Way too much value for the Pens to give up. I know AO is a great prospect, but so is Malkin. To me, having Malkin AND Whitney is more valuable to a team than AO alone would be.

Stop making sense

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
craig1 said:
it's not as cut and dry as that. malkin is much less of a sure thing as ovechkin. to compare to the '84 penguins, would you rather have kirk muller and randy carlyle, or mario lemieux?

again, i'm not insinuating that ovechkin's the next lemieux, but it's not as easy as just saying malkin and whitney > ovechkin. i would do that deal actually, but i can almost guarantee washington wouldn't.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Wouldnt even touch a Whitney+Malkin for Ovechkin. Ovechkin may turn out to be good, or the next Daigle. People were saying Daigle was the next Mario/Gretzky when he was drafted.

All I'm saying is both are a gamble. For the pens to give up a possible #1 dman and a possible #1 centerman for a possible #1 winger would never be offered. Everyone in the draft is a gamble, no matter how hyped they are. I do think Ovechkin will be good, not Mario-like however. I think Malkin will also turn out to be a good player.

If I am the Pens, I stay at 2 and keep Whitney. The only way washington will get a teams top prospect and other things is if a team near the end of round 1 wants Ovechkin bad. But to say one of the pens top prospects (#5 pick in 02') and moving up only one spot is laughable IMO.

TVanek26*

pittengineer said:
Wouldnt even touch a Whitney+Malkin for Ovechkin. Ovechkin may turn out to be good, or the next Daigle. People were saying Daigle was the next Mario/Gretzky when he was drafted.

Malkin could turn out the same way....odds are AO becomes great.

X-SHARKIE

Ovechkin has a 1% bust ratio...lowest of any prospect in quite some time. He contributes even when he's not scoring....I mean what doesnt he do good and NHL qualitiy?

BUT!! I think one just needs to poke a finger at the Nordiques and the Flyers trade awhile back (even if Lindros produced how we thought he couldve) and I think a team well realize...that with smart drafting ....they well be better off having 3-4 good players then one great one...

Teams with Depth instead of one trick ponies have been the succesfull ones in the playoffs and regular season it seems.

If the Penguins won the lottery they could've shopped the pick to Washington and got 3 first rounders or mabey 2 first rounders including the 2nd overall and some 2nd rounders.....No trade well happen now.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
Ovechkin has a 1% bust ratio...lowest of any prospect in quite some time. He contributes even when he's not scoring....I mean what doesnt he do good and NHL qualitiy?

BUT!! I think one just needs to poke a finger at the Nordiques and the Flyers trade awhile back (even if Lindros produced how we thought he couldve) and I think a team well realize...that with smart drafting ....they well be better off having 3-4 good players then one great one...

Teams with Depth instead of one trick ponies have been the succesfull ones in the playoffs and regular season it seems.

If the Penguins won the lottery they could've shopped the pick to Washington and got 3 first rounders or mabey 2 first rounders including the 2nd overall and some 2nd rounders.....No trade well happen now.

Agreed. I will be very surprised if Washington deals the pick. They have prospect depth just as Pittsburgh does, although unbiasedly, I think you give the defensive edge to Pittsburgh with Whitney, Welch, and Nemec (to list a few), who is not in my avatar for no reason.

The only trade that the Caps would likely consider is a trade involving probably the second pick with at least Whitney or Welch, probably both, and maybe something else. The Penguins won't give that up as they've said many times, and I really don't think it benefits either team, especially the Pens, to make a trade like that.

Both teams essentially need a top player like Ovechkin. The Caps not as much with Semin there, but a franchise forward is still lacking (I would say Semin would be a very high point producing support forward, not a franchise guy... somewhat like what Kovalev is or was). The Caps could use some more defensemen, but good drafting and/or trading can solve that.

They both need a top player and both will get one. Washington gets the better one of the two, regardless of what anyone is saying to cloud the picks up. We Pens fans might want to cross our fingers for Crosby, but I don't think a franchise type forward is essential to success. It can't hurt though, especially with depth.

To be blunt, I wouldn't trade for the pick. The Pens should stay at two and bank on Malkin having great offensive success, maybe leading the team in points some day. With Fleury and the drafting of several defensemen in the past few years, I believe the Penguin franchise has set the precedent that they are building from the goal out anyways, so a real top offensive forward may not be critical. They'll need offense from somewhere, and Malkin is potentially that player.

While Ovechkin is clearly the better player at this time, picking up Malkin and staying the course with Fleury, Whitney, Welch et al is still potentially a great foundation for the future. It would be better to pick Ovechkin, but the cost at which he would come would actually end up making getting Ovechkin worse for long term success, which is why I say no to trading up.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
MrKnowNothing said:
Agreed. I will be very surprised if Washington deals the pick. They have prospect depth just as Pittsburgh does, although unbiasedly, I think you give the defensive edge to Pittsburgh with Whitney, Welch, and Nemec (to list a few), who is not in my avatar for no reason.

The only trade that the Caps would likely consider is a trade involving probably the second pick with at least Whitney or Welch, probably both, and maybe something else. The Penguins won't give that up as they've said many times, and I really don't think it benefits either team, especially the Pens, to make a trade like that.

Both teams essentially need a top player like Ovechkin. The Caps not as much with Semin there, but a franchise forward is still lacking (I would say Semin would be a very high point producing support forward, not a franchise guy... somewhat like what Kovalev is or was). The Caps could use some more defensemen, but good drafting and/or trading can solve that.

They both need a top player and both will get one. Washington gets the better one of the two, regardless of what anyone is saying to cloud the picks up. We Pens fans might want to cross our fingers for Crosby, but I don't think a franchise type forward is essential to success. It can't hurt though, especially with depth.

To be blunt, I wouldn't trade for the pick. The Pens should stay at two and bank on Malkin having great offensive success, maybe leading the team in points some day. With Fleury and the drafting of several defensemen in the past few years, I believe the Penguin franchise has set the precedent that they are building from the goal out anyways, so a real top offensive forward may not be critical. They'll need offense from somewhere, and Malkin is potentially that player.

While Ovechkin is clearly the better player at this time, picking up Malkin and staying the course with Fleury, Whitney, Welch et al is still potentially a great foundation for the future. It would be better to pick Ovechkin, but the cost at which he would come would actually end up making getting Ovechkin worse for long term success, which is why I say no to trading up.

Very well put. :clap:

Both teams are sitting pretty where they are.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Dont get me wrong, I dont think AO will be a bust. Do I think he is the next Mario? Honestly, no. Is rightly so the 1st pick this year as he is the best player in the draft.

As far as my analogy to Daigle, do you think Ottawa thought he has a huge "bust" probability when he was draft #1 overall? You just dont know with draft picks. This goes for Malkin just as much as Ovechkin.

If the pens would have had the #1 overall, i think they would have considered a trade with Washington to pick up a late 1(maybe a lil more) and a swap of picks. Thats simply because thats how the pens have to build their team, through the draft.

I guess my main thing with the Whitney + Malkin for Ovechkin is that non of them have proven any thing. Look at it this way, would you have traded a #2(Kari Lehtonen) and a #5(Ryan Whitney) in the 02' draft for Ovechkin? I dont think I would IMO. And I think Malkin could be better than both of those two IMO.

So in brief, I see no trade for washington and they select Ovechkin followed by the pens taking Malkin.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
pittengineer said:
Dont get me wrong, I dont think AO will be a bust. Do I think he is the next Mario? Honestly, no. Is rightly so the 1st pick this year as he is the best player in the draft.

As far as my analogy to Daigle, do you think Ottawa thought he has a huge "bust" probability when he was draft #1 overall? You just dont know with draft picks. This goes for Malkin just as much as Ovechkin.

If the pens would have had the #1 overall, i think they would have considered a trade with Washington to pick up a late 1(maybe a lil more) and a swap of picks. Thats simply because thats how the pens have to build their team, through the draft.

I guess my main thing with the Whitney + Malkin for Ovechkin is that non of them have proven any thing. Look at it this way, would you have traded a #2(Kari Lehtonen) and a #5(Ryan Whitney) in the 02' draft for Ovechkin? I dont think I would IMO. And I think Malkin could be better than both of those two IMO.

So in brief, I see no trade for washington and they select Ovechkin followed by the pens taking Malkin.

Ovechkin has little chance of busting, his talent, work ethic, passion, and leadership have been well-noted by a good many scouts.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
As far as 'the next Mario' or the 'next' whoever is concerned, that's all garbage. Simply put, when young talented players come into the league they have to make a name for themselves. Some Pens fans were wondering if Malone might become like Stevens was for the Pens during the cup years and if he was the next Stevens or whatever... I said no, Ryan Malone will be the next Ryan Malone.

Alexander Ovechkin will be Alexander Ovechkin, not Mario Lemieux or whoever. Each player has their own style, although players do fit into certain styles, tagging them with the next one sign is dumb, I think. They're talented and their either going to make a name for themselves or not. The next one tag just gives players huge expectations that they might not fufill, or might be different than, or might partially fufill.

All we know is that Ovechkin has been highly touted for at least a full year now. He's talented, and whenever he arrives on the NHL scene he will have to just play and make a name for himself. The same thing goes for Sydney Crosby, and even Dustin Rose. ;)

Steve Latin*

Would you do our first this year and next for Alex O?

S L

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
EroCaps said:
Mizral, you realize the Caps have two extra low firsts and a stocked farm. Why would they pass up Ovechkin for more quantity?

Bryan Allen and Matt Cooke are two quality players. In terms of the 1st picks, quantity or not, the Caps are going to want them.

Regardless, that's about the sort of deal I'd set up for an Alexander Ovechkin. He's not going to garner a current NHL superstar or anything just yet. Kovalchuk I believe was offered a deal with something like Markov, Garon, and Montreal's 1st. (This was when Garon was not nearly as well known as he is now)

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

I quite like Ovechkin (was one of the first to bring people to his attention on this board!)..

.. but that isn't true. Ovechkin's biggest knock is his inconsistancy and his work ethic, two things that could mean he has issues in the NHL. Having talent in the NHL isn't enough these days - to be a superstar, you have to work hard. I'm not saying it's going to happen or it's not going to happen, but 1% is truely not the case. Ovechkin talent wise is up there with some of the best picks in a while, but he's really no different than Lecavalier when he was entering the draft (don't buy into this Rick Dudley BS about him being the best prospect he's ever seen).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad