If you were to offer Talbot a contract extension right now, what would you offer him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
3.25x2 is what I'd want to give him, but my guess is he'll want 3 years. 3x3 would be OK.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The Dubnyk deal. Although I think the Wild may regret that one

No way. Dubnyk was a Vezina candidate, Talbot has more proving to do to earn that type of contract.

I'd go 3yrs $9M right now with him. Gives him a little security and an opportunity to cash in if he has multiple good years.
Chia needs to get a couple of top 4 Dmen though or Talbot won't hold up.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No way. Dubnyk was a Vezina candidate, Talbot has more proving to do to earn that type of contract.

I'd go 3yrs $9M right now with him. Gives him a little security and an opportunity to cash in if he has multiple good years.
Chia needs to get a couple of top 4 Dmen though or Talbot won't hold up.

Fair enough. I just think he's a good gamble. Go long and we have cap space to play with in 4 years from now.

Maybe we sign him 2 years, and then he coincides with the McDavid extension. Then we offer him 5-6 million per season if he's the real deal by then.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Very unfair question. He is riding a great hot streak and with his limited experience any contract would be risky.

However, he was absolutely stellar tonight. I think his best performance of the year. Stay with the play so well. Tracking well, moving well. Yeah, easily his best game this year IMO.

So taking everything into account. If the Oilers signed him today a 3 year 3 mill is probably the highest/longest I would go. Or slightly less money and maybe one more year. Or slightly more money for only two years.

Still too unproven to throw a contract at him that will handcuff this teams cap situation.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
If he keeps playing the way he is playing I'd be fine with 3 years and around 10 million total at the end of the year. Brossoit can be the back up next year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If he keeps playing the way he is playing I'd be fine with 3 years and around 10 million total at the end of the year. Brossoit can be the back up next year.

3x3 would be perfect. Qualify Nilsson and let him be the backup for 1 more season. Brossoit can still go to the AHL without having to clear waivers next season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah it's risky, could be a good time to save some cash, if he is a no.1, and you have him locked up for $3 mill per for a few years ... that's great for the cap.

But if he bombs after 15 games next year you could have a cap liability on your hands.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
On 2nd thought, we definitely would not sign him today. I think I was thinking more of "today" as meaning in the relative short term. We definitely need to see him more, and there's no reason why we wouldn't. Maybe we might consider signing him just before the deadline.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
3x3 would be perfect. Qualify Nilsson and let him be the backup for 1 more season. Brossoit can still go to the AHL without having to clear waivers next season.

I like this option.

Nilson has had some great streaks as well and our blueline has been a joke.
I'd rather give Nilson an extension.
I'm convinced that we'll get 1 or 2 d-men in the off-season and if Nilson still stinks things up then we can bring Brossoit up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
3X3 would be my preference. Good term and still leaves cap room for Brossoit if he steps in and does really well. If he keeps up with his solid play through the end of the season I'd consider 4 years at $3.5 million per.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
He hasn't proven himself as a perennial starter yet (surprisingly few goalies have), so I'd opt for $3mx3 or less. Maybe a little more depending on how things go the rest of the season.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
3x3 would be about ideal. I'd probably go as high as 3.5m x 3 years if he can sustain this level of play, or close to it, over the next couple of months.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

This is a good plan but I would give Talbot 4 years. I would not mind tp bring Edmonton for one season another back up to compete with Nisse

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Some random dude on Twitter said they've already extended him 3 years. I wouldn't be too mad if the price was reasonable. He's only up to .914 on the year.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
https://twitter.com/karthsaha/status/688607941662904320

It's just a random Oilers fan, but who knows, maybe he's heard some good info?

I can't complain about Talbot's play the last month or so, or really since he took the job back from Nilsson.
Thank you, wouldn't surprise me at all. Speedyturtle posted on Friday night in the other thread that Talbot would likely be back.

Really he's been solid for the entire season save for a four or five game stretch in November.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
It's pretty remarkable he's been able to bring his save percentage up to .914 after that dip in his play. Man I would just love it if he could continue like this.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thank you, wouldn't surprise me at all. Speedyturtle posted on Friday night in the other thread that Talbot would likely be back.

Really he's been solid for the entire season save for a four or five game stretch in November.

Well Speedy definitely carries clout here and for good reason. Hopefully the deal is done and it's for reasonable money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad