If you were the coach of the Winnipeg Jets, what would you do?

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Like I said in the previous post it's not about those 2 pre-season games but more like a continuing trend from the past 5 years.

Same coaching staff, same team with a few minor upgrades. There's nothing but optimistic hope to suggest that ship changes it course this season. Analysts don't believe it, fans don't believe it, league doesn't believe it.

That new contract to Maurice is going haunt this franchise.

Hate to say it but I agree. The Jets aren't considered a legitimate contender no matter how good the team looks on the paper. I haven't seen it here, inside or outside the Jets boards, not in the press, not anywhere really (granted that I don't read every single article about the Winnipeg Jets). I do believe the team has a chance and considering the core, that's a very light way to put it. Seems like the fans here are not superbly optimistic either. So what's standing in the way? The Jets have one of the best forward groups, very good D-core (in my opinion) and now with the addition of Mason, even the netminding should be average/good. That really leaves you with the coaching staff. Made no sense to extend Maurice, quite the contrary actually and yet it happened anyway, beyond reasons that we know. I still have faith, but if the ships continues the course from the past seasons from the get go and the management doesn't react soon enough, then what we are looking at is an absolute disaster. With the players and the depth within this organization, basically any average coach should be able to not only reach the playoffs but actually win games and even get past the first round, in my opinion at least.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Don't be so uptight.
Just mentioned in post game thread that this team plays better loose.
Example winning streaks to end the last two seasons.
Although wins are the measure of success there has to be joy in your work

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
These 2 games don't do anything. They don't set expectations or lower them. They are meaningless. And it's annoying. Why can't we just wait until we're 10 games into the season? Why?

You're fighting a losing battle on this one GJF. Even if we were 2-0 there would be a steady parade of concerns. A 1/2 hour after we win the cup there will be outrage regarding player usage in the finals and who Wheeler handed the cup to first :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's preseason so as annoying as the play has been it's pretty meaningless.

There are some things though that look like they will need a lot of work.

PK needs to be more aggressive and the shape needs to be altered as we have given up 3 nearly identical goals in two games which points to a flaw in the system that other teams are exploiting.

Preseason or not Buff needs to be reeled in so that He hits the ground running and plays like he can.

Switch things up in the top 6 as its not really working. We know what works so Go back to it and get some chemistry going.

If there is one thing these two games have shown is that if our top 6 isn't scoring we aren't going to get a lot of help from the bottom 6 they way Maurice is running it so is use the last 5 games to trybto find as dangerous a combination as possible.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Unfortunately we just can't score goals.
Up against Edmonton farm team and still can't hit the net.

Jets were 7th in goals for last season, and if anything, have improved their offense for this season. Scoring is not going to be the issue for this team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets were 7th in goals for last season, and if anything, have improved their offense for this season. Scoring is not going to be the issue for this team.

But I agree with your earlier posts on Laine and Wheeler, not being a good fit. I'm hopeful after a couple games off Maurice juggles up the top 6 a bit.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Man is Buff a whipping boy on these threads , Laine has looked brutal to me , Wheeler has looked brutal , actually no one has looked great but it's only 2 preseason games so i'm not worried yet . If 20 games into the regular season we look like this , i would fire all coaches .

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'd get an HF Boards account so I could follow all the great advice from the best hockey minds that HFJets has to offer.

I'd do more the Rick Ralph approach and get an account solely to troll "you people" (since I'd no longer be one :P ) without surcease.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We need to have a culture of earning the win, or owning the loss. We have never had that. That needs to start with the coaching staff. Coaching staff should hold players accountable, especially the vets. Don't tolerate excuses like puck luck, or schedule or reffing when we don't win games that we should. Own it. We have decent depth now. No one should be gifted/granted a spot and big minutes just because. Buff, I'm talking about you. Earn the ice time. Stupid or lazy penalties can't be tolerated. There needs to be consequences and the players need to see it.

We have a talented lineup. If this team can't win with this coaching staff, we need new coaches starting at the top. If I were coach and we are out of the playoffs in November again this year, I would realize that I suck as an NHL coach. I would recognize that the Jets fans deserve better. So I would get myself fired so that Chevy is forced to bring in a coaching staff that can win.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
What I would do is:

1) Stick with the plan that I carefully crafted and not make any panic decisions based on the first 2 preseason games. My plan is to have the team playing well by game 1 of the regular season. Get all the rust, hit posts and adjustment to the rules out of the way early. Win the last 2 preseason games to be hot heading into the regular season. Home opener against the Leafs is a must win. MUST WIN!

2) I'd bench players for taking undisciplined penalties. No exceptions. It shouldn't matter who it is, we now have the depth that we can bench a Buff or Scheifele or Wheeler, etc. for part of a game without critically hurting our chances to win. The PK isn't good enough to deal with avoidable penalties.

3) on the power play I would focus on the low game. Once the puck goes to the goal line you can quickly create a 3 on 2 situation with the player on the half wall on the opposite side of the ice and the man in the high slot. Focusing on this should open Laine and Buff a bit. Right now everyone can tell we're just trying to feed Laine for the one-timer. It's very choreographed and we need to switch it up a bit to make that more effective.

4) On the PK I would be ultra aggressive. At the end of last season when the PK was good this was the tactic that we were using. We're pretty good at denying entry into the zone so hopefully be creating more pressure on players once they're set up we'd be able to cause a few more turnovers. If that doesn't work I'd just line all 4 guys up in the crease behind the goalie blocking the net until the goalie is able to smother the puck and get us a faceoff. :sarcasm:

5) For Lines I would go:
Laine Scheif Wheeler - Scheif and Wheeler just need to be more selfish and stop trying to force feed Laine. We need goals, it doesn't matter who scores them.
Perrault Little Ehlers - Connor can take Perrault's spot once he earns it. No top 6 spots are given out.
Connor Lowry Armia - I like Lowry on the forecheck, Armia's defensive presence and Connor to be the finisher. Once Connor moves to the second line call up Rosolvic and roll Perrault Roslovic Armia. Can't have 2 rookies on one line and expect to win games.
Mathias Copp Dano - 4th line with skill that can score
Tanev - in the PB but his speed is an asset if we needed an extra forward in a pinch and couldn't make a callup
Hendricks - never to play unless an absolute emergency. There to be a room presence and work faceoffs with the team.
Petan - Injury callup for a top 9 spot.

I liked the looks of Myers and Kuli so you almost can't go wrong with the pairings but I'd play each pair 20 minutes just rolling them to keep everyone fresh.
Morrissey Trouba
Kuli Buff
Enstrom Myers

6) I'd make it so that on D we always deny the cross ice pass. Odd man rush. Let the goalie handle the shooter, just don't allow a cross ice pass. Tim Thomas and the Bruins at that time were great at this. Thomas would come out and be super aggressive knowing that his team would pick off any cross ice attempt.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I'd get an HF Boards account so I could follow all the great advice from the best hockey minds that HFJets has to offer.

Yep, we're all stupid. Except you, right? You're the exception.

If I were Maurice, I would listen to all of the HF Jets stats geeks who focus on Corsi and relax...

View attachment 96819

View attachment 96821

For those who prefer numbers to graphs, the Jets are at 60.4% CF (5v5) through their first two pre-season games.

I'm not a stats professor or the CEO of a Fortune 500 research firm so forgive me but what is the expected Corsi differential in a game between NHL vs AHL/ECHL teams? Also, I would appreciate if you could help us with some special teams graphs - anything that would make us look good would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
The best thing to hope this season is luck in draft lottery + Dahlin panning out as a true franchise defender.

would the result be any different if we had Mcdavid, Crosbyc or any top lottery picks, considering the coaching staff we have?

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Laine - Schiefele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Petan/Roslo - Dano
Matthias - Lowry - Armia

JoMo - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

You get three scoring lines and one shut down line. Cut Buffs minutes to around 18-20 a game. Force Chevy to fire Flaherty and hope for the best.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yep, we're all stupid. Except you, right? You're the exception.

I'm not a stats professor or the CEO of a Fortune 500 research firm so forgive me but what is the expected Corsi differential in a game between NHL vs AHL/ECHL teams? Also, I would appreciate if you could help us with some special teams graphs - anything that would make us look good would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Don't be so touchy. I include myself in the HF Jets poster community. :shakehead

I doubt there is anything "expected" in the pre-season, but it seems that some are wanting to use normal assessment methods for pre-season, so I provided some. I'm not sure if a CEO of a Fortune 500 Research Firm would ask this sort of question, though.

Small sample size, but since you asked...

PP 20% (4.3--48.1%).
PK 73% (39--94%).

(Figures in the brackets are the 95% confidence intervals, to give you a sense of how unstable the estimates are)...

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Bahahhahahahahhahahahha.

I see many of the same posters who dismissed our end of season winning streak last year as "meaningless" (regardless of the fact almost all those wins came against teams vying for playoff position) are now the same ones putting a ridiculous amount of emphasis on games that are actually (and proven to be) meaningless because it suits their coaching narrative.

Bahahahahha

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
One thing I'd add is to relax the various systems/schema a bit, especially in the O zone, so that the team can exploit one of its best natural assets, the creativity of players like Ehlers, Laine, Scheifs, Buff, JMo, Petan, MP, etc. I feel, as I did last year, that PoMo's "systems" are designed for Everyteam, not THIS team, which is why the team tends to play their best when given freer reign.

The Jets have a raw talent level approached by few current teams in the league. They have some special player chemistry. They may now have solid tandem goaltending, and a sturdier D. Any systems they play within should be "light-touch" and not rigid. Maybe PoMo should spend part of the the preseason watching them play, and then develop his systems around the players, rather than imposing them onto players who, very possibly, play better with each other than with their coach shouting into their ear.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
#1 I'd resign and get someone competent.

I believe Maurice is the longest-standing NHL coach who hasn't won a cup during the tenure. Now, has he done anything to deserve that? He certainly is an accomplished underachiever. Oh, and he's good at talking. I guess that's more useful than being good at winning.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I believe Maurice is the longest-standing NHL coach who hasn't won a cup during the tenure. Now, has he done anything to deserve that? He certainly is an accomplished underachiever. Oh, and he's good at talking. I guess that's more useful than being good at winning.

Maurice is 11th on all-time coaches list with 1365 games behind the bench. He trails Pat Quinn, Ron Wilson, Barry Trotz and Lindy Ruff in terms of other coaches with lots of games but no Stanley Cups.

Maurice is currently the 4th longest-tenured coach with 281 games with the Jets. He trails Quenneville (700 games), Jon Cooper (344) and Alain Vigneault (328). Only Quenneville has won a cup out of that group...although Cooper and Vigneault have both been to the Cup Finals in their current jobs.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

What teams in PoMos 20+ year career has he underachiever with?

I'm assuming you're pretty well versed in the Hartford, Carolina and Toronto teams he coached. I've never really thought he had much to work with most years. He over achieved with this Jets team in his first year. I don't think mngmt gave him the tools he needed in his second year and last year's team was the 3rd or 4th youngest I believe and was so devastated with injuries he really didn't have much to work with.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad