If you were the coach of the Winnipeg Jets, what would you do?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
So we're only two games into the preseason and there's already a lot of talk about coaching. We seem to be witnessing many of the same problems from previous years. Again. So, if you were coach of the Winnipeg Jets, what would you change to make this team better? List your top 5.

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I'll start it off.
1) get aggressive on the penalty kill
2) reunite ESL
3) add more movement to the power play
4) drop Buff's minutes significantly
5) form a 3rd scoring line and drop Lowry, Armia and Matthias down to 4th.
Honourable mention: make players accountable for their poor play, or effort.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
1 Armia on the top line with Laine

2. bring in a grit/grinder guy, protect our players.

3. Play Buff 28 min a game.

4. Ignore special teams, 5 vs 5 is our bread and butter

5. Tell our GM we need Pavs back.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
1. Hold vets accountable.. Its preseason.. Now is the time to bench a guy like Buff for making lazy plays

2. Ehlers Scheif Laine. Perreault Little Wheeler. Connor Roslovic Dano. Mathias Lowry Armia

3. More aggressive PK.

Thats all i got.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Pay big $$ to hire a PP coach
Play Buff no more than 20 min a night
Ehlers Little Laine, Perreault Scheifele Wheeler
Preach team defense
Shorten shifts

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Matthias-Copp-Dano (Petan)

That's how you generate a bit more offense across three lines, while keeping the defensive responsibilities intact.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
ehlers and laine on the same lane is not a good idea. they are both not good defensively and to loose with the puck. plus ehlers defers to much to laine when they play together. also connor is no where near as good as perreault.
ehlers scheif wheeler
laine little perreault
connor lowry armia
mathias Hendricks copp
this is the way it will end up. bottom 6. next few games is a waste of time. nothing will change.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
1 Armia on the top line with Laine

2. bring in a grit/grinder guy, protect our players.

3. Play Buff 28 min a game.

4. Ignore special teams, 5 vs 5 is our bread and butter

5. Tell our GM we need Pavs back.

Are you Maurice?! :sarcasm:

I would try to get a new goalie coach.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
i) Give Laine a test run on his natural wing (LW) during the pre-season and see how he fairs. If he has improved the physique enough and can handle it, then keep him there.
ii) Ask GM to hire someone that knows what PP means.
iii) Ask GM to hire an assistant coach who can whisper on your ear what to do and when to do it.
iv) Go on a lecture which's main topic is about the benefits of keeping lines intact.
v) Tell the vets that they are not going to receive any special treatment, but will be dealt with the same way than the average Joe.
vi) Bench and make an example out of the first vet for the entire game who either a) gives an easy turnover b) takes unnecessary penalty.

Bonus vii) should you fail on the first six agendas, decide it's better to hang up the boots and leave the resignation papers on Chev's desk before you can cause any further damage.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ban all players from reading these boards...

Keep evaluating your players in the pre-season...

Give Petan a shot at the 2nd line and 1PP for at least two games to see how he does...

Try Roslo between Armia and Connor for at least two games...

Spend more time on team D and the PK...

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Conner Little Laine
Perreault Copp Armia
Matthias Lowry Dano
Hendricks Tanev
Petan on the Moose

Morrissey Trouba
Kulo Buff
Emstrom Myers.

Buff does not play more then 20 mins a night
Morrissey and Trouba playing top mins including top PP time.
Laine and Ehlers and Scheifele on first PP unit
Hendricks only see the ice when we need mussle which is almost never. But he stays in the PB to work with the kids and our C's in practice for FO's and be in the room.
Play whichever goalie is hot except for back to back games until they have a bad game.
Go with three forwards in OT. Scheifele, Little, Wheeler, Ehlers, Laine, and Perreault. Conner also if he only plays with a combination of Wheeler, Little and Perreault. The way I see it is you already have a point so why not go all in to get the next point.

Last edited:

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
The best thing to hope this season is luck in draft lottery + Dahlin panning out as a true franchise defender.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd get an HF Boards account so I could follow all the great advice from the best hockey minds that HFJets has to offer.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
2 preseason games in and we already have a thread like this? :shakehead

I'd get an HF Boards account so I could follow all the great advice from the best hockey minds that HFJets has to offer.

It' still very very early in the season but this is recurring theme from the last 5 years. There's nothing that suggest Jets could finally take their first playoff win in franchise history.

A lot posters/fans had a false sense of hope before the season but these 2 pre season games must lowered everyones expectations to more realistic level.

We all want wins (and playoffs wins) but most understand it's a pipe dream with Maurice and his coaching team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It' still very very early in the season but this is recurring theme from the last 5 years. There's nothing that suggest Jets could finally take their first playoff win in franchise history.

A lot posters/fans had a false sense of hope before the season but these 2 pre season games must lowered everyones expectations to more realistic level.

We all want wins (and playoffs wins) but most understand it's a pipe dream with Maurice and his coaching team.

If these two pre-season games are seen as an accurate barometer, then it's a bit irrational. Vets are a bit unfocused.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
If these two pre-season games are seen as an accurate barometer, then it's a bit irrational. Vets are a bit unfocused.

Like I said in the previous post it's not about those 2 pre-season games but more like a continuing trend from the past 5 years.

Same coaching staff, same team with a few minor upgrades. There's nothing but optimistic hope to suggest that ship changes it course this season. Analysts don't believe it, fans don't believe it, league doesn't believe it.

That new contract to Maurice is going haunt this franchise.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

These 2 games don't do anything. They don't set expectations or lower them. They are meaningless. And it's annoying. Why can't we just wait until we're 10 games into the season? Why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad