If you were Ottawa, Would you give Colorado this years pick?

If you were the Senators, would you give Colorado this years pick?

• Yes, I would give them the pick

• No, I would keep this years pick

Results are only viewable after voting.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Ottawa is favored by Vegas to have the worst odds of all NHL Teams to win the Stanley Cup next year at 100-1.

With all the turmoil surrounding this organization currently, and the fact that they may trade their best player by the draft.

Would you bite the Bullet and give Colorado this years pick and get it out of the way, and hope for the potential to get Jack Hughes next year?

Of Note: Ottawa does have the 22nd pick in this years draft.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Ottawa is favored by Vegas to have the worst odds of all NHL Teams to win the Stanley Cup next year at 100-1.

With all the turmoil surrounding this organization currently, and the fact that they may trade their best player by the draft.

Would you bite the Bullet and give Colorado this years pick and get it out of the way, and hope for the potential to get Jack Hughes next year?

Of Note: Ottawa does have the 22nd pick in this years draft.

its really not fair for Vegas to make the odds since they made it to the finals

Reactions: MXD

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't think they should. Even if the Sens finish dead last next season, chances are that they pick 3rd or 4th anyways. Relinquishing this year's pick only serves to show their intention to suck next season.

Reactions: cgf and BananaSquad

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
They need to draft a difference maker. If they feel their guy is available to them at 4 then pick him but if not then let Colorado pick and see if you can get him next year. They can make their decision at the draft floor if they want

Jun 15, 2007
No because that would signal giving up on the season. It's a really bad look. I'll take my chances.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I would just give up this 1st and cut their losses. Trade their core guys (EK, Duchene, Hoffman, Stone, etc.) for future pieces and hope they can build a new core through the draft.

If they do keep their pick, they better make trades that will at least let them be a bubble team.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
You don't give the 4th overall this year up for a pick that is incredibly likely to be a lower pick next year. That's just bad math.

Reactions: Haatley

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Either way it is a public relations nightmare for the team.

the 22nd pick is still pretty good and you could get someone like Bokk who has a very high upside.

Not Jared Cowen

Oct 1, 2004
No team condemns themselves to last place without even playing one game. If Pierre did this, he’d basically be telling the team, the fans, and his boss that he has no intentions of competing next year. It’s career suicide and even if we do finish last, odds are we’re picking 4th anyway.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would just give up this 1st and cut their losses. Trade their core guys (EK, Duchene, Hoffman, Stone, etc.) for future pieces and hope they can build a new core through the draft.

If they do keep their pick, they better make trades that will at least let them be a bubble team.

Trade Stone he is 25 years old lol.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No because that would signal giving up on the season. It's a really bad look. I'll take my chances.
In all fairness the way the organization has treated its fans its not like the look can get any worse. For those of you that think this started recently you havent been paying attention. Its been a slow burn and a cut from 1000 knives. Started with Melnyk forcing the organization to dump hossa due to salary and choosing Redden over Chara because of $. Then the alfie fiasco followed by bargain bin coachs. The sens were top 10 in attendance for a decade before Melnyk started meddling.

Now with Bryan no longer around to put out fires and manage Melnyk the organizations lack of leadership and the old crazy taking full control this is what you get.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
You don’t go into next season with hopes to do even worse

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Yes they should. If they don't and next season's pick ends up #1, oh boy, look out.

They should cut bait with EK, Hoff and really, anything else that's not bolted down. Recoup what you can in picks, prospects and some serviceable NHL'ers that may be able to provide adult supervision.
I think the Rip the Bandaid off course is the way to go. Suck it up, make the hard choices and get this behind you as fast as possible. Then start building. Trying to keep this going as is, is foolhearty.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Yes they should. If they don't and next season's pick ends up #1, oh boy, look out.

They should cut bait with EK, Hoff and really, anything else that's not bolted down. Recoup what you can in picks, prospects and some serviceable NHL'ers that may be able to provide adult supervision.
I think the Rip the Bandaid off course is the way to go. Suck it up, make the hard choices and get this behind you as fast as possible. Then start building. Trying to keep this going as is, is foolhearty.
That would be sad and funny for Duchene who probably wanted to be part of a contending team and could now be on another rebuild. I wonder if he would stay or ask for a trade if so. I don't think the Sens will be as bad as expected unless they trade those assets but will still not make the playoffs IMO probably a bubble team. As an Avs fan, I would like the Sens to keep that pick and gamble what happens next season with their 1st rd pick. It's not like we lost that trade anyway, alone with Girard I'm freaking happy with that immediate defense help that led us to the playoffs and of course Mack's breakout season.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
That would be sad and funny for Duchene who probably wanted to be part of a contending team and could now be on another rebuild. I wonder if he would stay or ask for a trade if so. I don't think the Sens will be as bad as expected unless they trade those assets but will still not make the playoffs IMO probably a bubble team. As an Avs fan, I would like the Sens to keep that pick and gamble what happens next season with their 1st rd pick. It's not like we lost that trade anyway, alone with Girard I'm freaking happy with that immediate defense help that led us to the playoffs and of course Mack's breakout season.
They should be looking to unload Duchene as well.

And, you idea that you'd gamble with next year's pick is a solid one I think. I think the Sens aren't going to rebound. Not enough to warrant the gamble anyway.

Reactions: Spilot23

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No.

Get Hoffman out of here, re-sign Erik and Stone...possibly add a competent blueliner, and we're set. The wheels totally came off the team last year, and we still only managed to get 4th overall from that disaster. It's really not possible for Ottawa to be any worse next year.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Well... even if they have the worst record in the league next year it is still fairly likely they end up at 4th overall anyway.

And I like this draft a good bit more than 2019.

Keep the pick.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What I think happens is that Ottawa ends up acquiring another 1st in the 10-20 range from either a Hoffman or Karlsson trade. From there they have 3 1sts this year and 0 1sts next year so they will let Colorado pick 4th OA.

Dorion/Melnyk can then preach to the choir that their abundance of 1sts made it feasible to allow Colorado to draft this year so and that they’d prefer to spread it out.

Plus without Karlsson and Hoffman next year it might make sense.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I doubt Eugene cares about how this will look. With that being said, no I wouldn't give up the pick unless they plan to trade everybody worth a damn, but even then they can't guarantee they will come in last and are most likely to pick 4th even if the do.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I would. Weak draft and next year, they probably are picking 4th if not higher. If they actually win the lottery next year, that's a disaster. Even if they finish 2nd to last or 3rd last, the chances are pretty high that they still would be picking around 4th, perhaps 5th. But the risk of losing a #1OA is too high. I also think that next season's #5 might outvalue this year's #4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad