If you want to complain to Sportsnet

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
maybe i'm just used to hearing most games from the other broadcast POV, but I really don't see what the fuss is. Only thing that mildly annoyed me was galley mentioning the wait was killing ducks momentum, but it was a factual statement (if you believe in momentum).

My problem with that was that he sounded legitimately upset about it, and couldn't for the life of him understand why they had such a delay when they were making sure that it was actually a goal that put the Ducks up 3-2.

He kept asking what took them so long, why they didn't do it faster, and kept complaining about how this took the momentum away from the Ducks.

Clearly, the league should have made a quick decision so as to not let momentum slip away.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Be sure to enjoy this moment for what it is and not what it isn't boys and girls!

The broadcast isn't great but it's the best I've seen and heard in 19 long years.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I was fine with the coverage last night.
The commentary between periods wasnt great though.

So Galley didn't know the rule for a situation that almost never happens, big deal. At the end of it he said he was wrong and apologized.

The Jets have profited greatly from this TV deal and it allows them to put a better product on the ice. I'll live with a few banner ads they SN needs to use in order to pay the bills.

You're a professional.

This has happened a bunch of times before.

Watch some highlights on youtube.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
To be fair to Galley/Randorf this wasn't the worst broadcast I have ever heard from sportsnet.

Although I'm pretty sure the only ones that were worse had Glen Healy as the useless 3rd man.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
At least it wasn't Steigerwald and Errey doing a national broadcast of a Penguins' game or John Garrett doing a Canucks' game (God help us!) although Galley is bad enough. And why we cannot get Scott Oake over Cassie Campbell- Whatever is beyond me. There are very few Canadian colour guys who cannot see beyond the "great" Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal franchises.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To be fair to Galley/Randorf this wasn't the worst broadcast I have ever heard from sportsnet.

Although I'm pretty sure the only ones that were worse had Glen Healy as the useless 3rd man.

Not sure but I think it was probably the best I've seen/heard from SN, at least for a Jets game.

They reported the Jets slow start. They couldn't say enough good things about the Jets once they got started. Then they gushed over the Ducks after they took over the game from the latter half of the 2nd period on. Factual reporting of the last half of that game had to sound bad to Jets fans because the reality was pretty bad.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Galley is annoying to the point of muting him. Randorf is good and I would like to hear him more.

It could be worse, we could of had a Rod Black/Glenn Healy tandem. I would have literally shotput my TV out the window if we had this collision of idiots calling the game.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Galley is annoying to the point of muting him. Randorf is good and I would like to hear him more.

It could be worse, we could of had a Rod Black/Glenn Healy tandem. I would have literally shotput my TV out the window if we had this collision of idiots calling the game.

This is a good point. I don't mind Randorf - it's Galley that kills it for me. The PBP portion is fine.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Randorf's a pro. Don't get people piling on him.

As for complaining about storytelling instead of Play by Play, what broadcasts have you been watching all year?

That trend has shown itself across all of SN broadcasters from the beginning, and it is clearly a command from on high.

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Randorf's a pro. Don't get people piling on him.

As for complaining about storytelling instead of Play by Play, what broadcasts have you been watching all year?

That trend has shown itself across all of SN broadcasters from the beginning, and it is clearly a command from on high.

Very true. I think it's fair to state Randorf is pulled in by the Galley vortex. Also agree on the anecdotal nature of the PBP. Seems like it was a big important memo from Rogers. Just a couple pals letting us know what Getzlaf likes to do in his spare time and what number SPF Lowry had to wear to get to the game.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
At least it wasn't Steigerwald and Errey doing a national broadcast of a Penguins' game or John Garrett doing a Canucks' game (God help us!) although Galley is bad enough. And why we cannot get Scott Oake over Cassie Campbell- Whatever is beyond me. There are very few Canadian colour guys who cannot see beyond the "great" Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal franchises.

Haha on the Sportsnet playoff preview had Garrett and Hrudey talking about the Flames-Canucks series and Garrett accused Hrudey of being a homer. Even Nick Kypreos thought that was ridiculous.

dfab

Apr 9, 2010
Worse than the favouritism was the lack of actual analysis and insight by Galley. Neither made mention of missed calls by the officials including slashing the stick out of Fro's hand, hold on Wheeler's stick by Perry or the trip on Wheeler shorthanded. Unbalanced coverage.......Beyak it is tomorrow

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
So who has done this successfully ? if I mute sportsnet and try to sync with 1290 is the satellite ahead of the radio and I just have to pause it for a few seconds to let the radio catch up? Is the radio on a longer delay compared to bell expressvu?

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
So who has done this successfully ? if I mute sportsnet and try to sync with 1290 is the satellite ahead of the radio and I just have to pause it for a few seconds to let the radio catch up? Is the radio on a longer delay compared to bell expressvu?

I use the 1290 stream so it is definitely delayed.

[mod]

Its a national broadcast not a local TSN Jets broadcast. Every time a Jets game has been televised nationally people have complained about the broadcast crew in the GDTs because they aren't actively cheering for the Jets and actually compliment the other team.

Last edited by a moderator:

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Galley is infatuated with whatever team happens to be playing decent at that moment to the complete exclusion of the other team. I don't think he's anti-Jets. The main reason I don't like him is because he is boring to listen too, rarely advances any interesting ideas, and doesn't seem to actually know much about how the game is now played. Randorf is legit.

And if you want to hear one of the worst, listen to Hughson do the play by play for the flames-nucks series. I would hate to be a flames fan and have to listen to that for a whole series...

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

[mod]

Its a national broadcast not a local TSN Jets broadcast. Every time a Jets game has been televised nationally people have complained about the broadcast crew in the GDTs because they aren't actively cheering for the Jets and actually compliment the other team.

Thanks I will just use the stream on my iPad then

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yeah, the only comment I had a problem with homer wise was the momentum comment.

Other than that, I thought he did a poor job doing colour.

At least it's not 3 guys.

Why the hell SN kept the 3 person broadcast is beyond me. I appreciated the attempt at innovation but it just doesn't work. (especially if Healy is the 3rd guy)

should be:

PxP
Colour
In arena interviewer/insider

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I was really baffled reading all the criticism this board had regarding the Sportsnet Crew calling the game in the Pre Game Thread in the days leading up to game 1. After last night I can totally see why!

For a couple of the penalties- they went to break unable to say which team was being penalized.

There was no mention that Wheeler's shot went off the post, and as such, no mention that the Jets were an inch from going up 3-1 which definitely could have changed the complexion of the game. I thought that shot off the post was...ahem...kind of a big deal. Pretty standard fare for a broadcast to portray it as a notable event.

They sounded absolutely gleeful when Anaheim tied it early in the third. At that point, I turned the sound off and literally watched the rest of the game on mute.

Anyway, I think the classic Hockey Night in Canada crews do a much better job as well as the TSN Jets crew. It shouldn't be like we're watching a Duck Homer broadcast- that aint cool!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Forget the quality of the broadcast team for a moment and any perceived issues they had. This is all subjective.
What is not is that at 9pm (30 minutes before the game) there was no pre-game.

Winnipeg's first playoff game in 19 years and we were watching the final minutes of the TB / Det game. Which is fine except there are multiple channels that games are on. The Canadian broadcaster should at least be carrying the pre-game of the Canadian team playing on their network.

They managed to do 15 minutes once the other game ended.
But it seemed like they could have done more.

Also the Sportnet broadcast makes the games sound quiet.
It will not do Monday justice!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

[mod]

"People" are asking for balance, not for active homer'ism. Is it a crime to assume that someone like Galley wouldn't be actively cheering for the Ducks, given that it's the GCL stream labeled "Jets broadcast"?

The Ducks broadcast was more neutral, and that's saying something given who does the PBP and colour for the Ducks.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
Wasn't Garry galley the colour guy on CBC broadcasts of Jets games BR (before rogers)? The Jets almost always get the "D" crew. I'd expect a higher caliber crew during the playoffs. Especially if the Jets are the only Canadian team on that night.

Anywho, galley does not appear to be a very good colour analyst IMHO. As a paying subscriber I feel comfortable voicing my opinion on this and don't appreciate being called childish or told to get over it.

fatschoonerrat

Jul 6, 2007
Charleston
hockeyfansunion.com
After listening to Beyak all season, anything is a good change of pace. Rampant homerism, calling plays that happened five seconds ago, citing some obscure sub-stat like how someone leads the league in road assists on second Tuesdays... I know it's a tough job, but wow. Not saying the SN crew is an upgrade. Just nice to hear another flavor of mediocre.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
After listening to Beyak all season, anything is a good change of pace. Rampant homerism, calling plays that happened five seconds ago, citing some obscure sub-stat like how someone leads the league in road assists on second Tuesdays... I know it's a tough job, but wow. Not saying the SN crew is an upgrade. Just nice to hear another flavor of mediocre.

Agree, Beyak has his flaws and his crazy stats can wear thin. But at least listening to him it's like listening to a friend do play by play. You know he's excited when the Jets score.

Listening to the D list Sportsnet guys feels like you're watching a dead game. It's either they appear to be cheering for the US based team, or, just going through the motions and collecting a paycheque.

They aren't emotionally invested in the Jets. But we are. That what makes for a weird vibe. The play by play emotion just doesn't match our own.

TSN Jets has the emotional investment that you lose with national broadcasts.

That being said, I'll bet you the Sportsnet coverage of a Habs-Ducks playoff game would have more excitement coming from the broadcast team. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad