If you want to complain to Sportsnet

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Corey Perry played well enough to receive the praise he got last night. I think complaining about a colour commentator talking about :

A) How well the best player on the ice for either team
B) The Ducks dominating the final 30 minutes of the game

is a bit silly. They shouldn't ignore the other team playing well to focus on the Jets.

I'm not sure which posts you got this from, but this certainly isn't my stance on this at all. I want a balanced call. The Ducks broadcast gave that - why can't our "home" broadcast do the same?

Gm0ney - that complaint from Galley about the delay and subsequent lessening of the Ducks momentum did it for me. That's a homer'ish call FOR the Ducks.

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
Guys, we've been enjoying Dennis Beyak all year long - why stop now?

Just put on TSN Radio 1290 - he's still doing the play-by-play on the radio!

The-Voice-of-the-Jets.jpg

Step 1: Turn on your TV to crappy Sportsnet

Step 2: Turn on TSN Radio 1290 using your favourite internet radio app

Step 3: Pause one of the feeds until they sync up well. Don't touch it for the rest of the game.

Enjoy!

The perfect solution - exactly what I did last night. Didn't take me too long to get sick of those Duck tire-pumpers.

Sportsnet sucks. Randorf, back to the CFL on TSN booth. We've got a good one in Beyak. Really enjoy the new Keilback ad on 1290 these days too. :nod:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The perfect solution - exactly what I did last night. Didn't take me too long to get sick of those Duck tire-pumpers.

Sportsnet sucks. Randorf, back to the CFL on TSN booth. We've got a good one in Beyak. Really enjoy the new Keilback ad on 1290 these days too. :nod:

This is what I'll be doing next game. I did it a couple times during previous Sportsnet broadcasts this season as well. The only downside is that you don't get nearly as much sound from the ice such as hits, "tight turns", shots etc as you do from a TV broadcast.

But that's a SMALL price to pay in order to mute these Sportsnet guys.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm not sure which posts you got this from, but this certainly isn't my stance on this at all. I want a balanced call. The Ducks broadcast gave that - why can't our "home" broadcast do the same?

Gm0ney - that complaint from Galley about the delay and subsequent lessening of the Ducks momentum did it for me. That's a homer'ish call FOR the Ducks.

Mainly from the GDT thread last night. Lots of posters complaining about Galley's praise for Perry, etc. Maybe they've been cleaned up since? I didn't read this full thread but there were lots of complaints last night about Ducks' "homerism". I simply think the Jets didn't really do anything worth praising last night in the 3rd.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I understand not liking the call of the game - we all have our preferences there. Gally blew the penalty thing, but I really don't get the "bias" people were hearing.

Both him and Randorf were complimentary of the Jets in the early going when they were playing well and leading. When the Ducks started taking over, then their focus was more on what the Ducks were doing right and the Jets wrong. They talked alot about Perry because he was a force in the third. I really don't see a problem with this.

It seems like it's all perception - the Ducks were taking over, most of the talk was now about the Ducks, so SN must be bias.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Mainly from the GDT thread last night. Lots of posters complaining about Galley's praise for Perry, etc. Maybe they've been cleaned up since? I didn't read this full thread but there were lots of complaints last night about Ducks' "homerism". I simply think the Jets didn't really do anything worth praising last night in the 3rd.

This isn't the GDT.

I personally have no issue with praise for the competition - it's very often warranted. I do have an issue with blatant homerism - as I said, the Ducks broadcast was much more balanced than our "home" broadcast. That's just wrong.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I prefer TSN to Sportsnet.

But I didn't hear any anti-Jets homerism in the broadcast last night. At all.

I like Randorf, am neutral on Galley, and dislike their intermission segments.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
This isn't the GDT.

I personally have no issue with praise for the competition - it's very often warranted. I do have an issue with blatant homerism - as I said, the Ducks broadcast was much more balanced than our "home" broadcast. That's just wrong.

when Hayward is less biased than a supposedly neutral broadcast...pretty sure that's a sign of the apocalypse

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
This isn't the GDT.

No, it's not the GDT, but I read the comments and then saw this thread. May have jumped the gun a bit.

I do agree with the overall sentiment re: Sportsnet, though. The 2 hour season preview special they aired at the start of the year focused on the Jets for 30 seconds with no "expert" analysis, and while I think they've done some decent focus on the Jets on the Saturday HNIC broadcasts, the normal Sportsnet stuff ignores the team for the most part, unless they can't avoid it. I believe they are ignoring these teams since they're "TSN" teams, Ottawa gets a lot of the same treatment, but Toronto and Montreal are too big to give that TSN treatment to.

For last night, though, I don't have a big problem with the focus on the Ducks or the lack of balance. The call of the game reflected the game itself - heavily slanted in favour of the Ducks towards the end of the game.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
A better way to deal with it, is to boycott Rogers products, and go with Bell or Telus. Let them know why you are boycotting too.

Having said that, i was lucky enough to watch the FOX feed, and it was 100x better. The announcers well on the ball, and even if they are the Ducks broadcast team, did a good job and were not too homerish.

As a Rogers hater I'm ok with that, but what bothers me the most is this childish behaviour we see from both Bell and Rogers trying to pretend that the other doesnt exist. Like when a caller mentions the opposing network the hosts go into panic mode....like they're shell shocked LOL. Both Bell and Rogers have exhibited complete disregard for subscribers, viewers. I can guarantee that if TSN puts a logo in the MTSC Rogers will do anything not to show it, even if it has a negative effect on the broadcast.

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
It has been 19 years for Winnipeg Jets fans. A large majority of us are clamoring for a broadcast team that has had connections with both us and our team throughout the year and understands the players. Homerism is not overly desired, but when faced with the alternative, I would take it 99 times out of 100. Would Brad May's overtime goal be as exciting as it was without Rick Jeanneret's "May Day!"? Imagine Randorff or Romaniuk calling it instead. I just want anything to make it feel like a game and moments of importance. Randorff and Galley are frustrating and their attempts at neutrality sterilize the game and it's TV "flow". Such is the price we pay for Roger's broadcast rights. I live in the boonies, and my tsnGO app can never sync with the television for more than five minutes. Beyak and the Sherriff will become faultless and patron saints after this series.

I do take solace in the fact that John Garrett is nowhere near this series (He is on the Wings-Bolts and it is terri-awful-tastic!)

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
My favourite part was how Galley was getting really annoyed that the delay in sorting it all out was killing all Anaheim's momentum. :laugh:

Ha exactly. He didn't realize they can't just look at one replay angle and say "good goal" and play on. They need to double and triple check, they need to check how much time was left on the clock, they need to reset the clock, they need to ensure the correct penalty procedures are followed, get the correct culprit, ensure the off-ice officials know wtf is going on, etc. He really was annoyed that they couldn't drop the puck right away since Perry was all pumped :laugh:

Soble

Jan 12, 2012
Toronto
It has been 19 years for Winnipeg Jets fans. A large majority of us are clamoring for a broadcast team that has had connections with both us and our team throughout the year and understands the players. Homerism is not overly desired, but when faced with the alternative, I would take it 99 times out of 100. Would Brad May's overtime goal be as exciting as it was without Rick Jeanneret's "May Day!"? Imagine Randorff or Romaniuk calling it instead. I just want anything to make it feel like a game and moments of importance. Randorff and Galley are frustrating and their attempts at neutrality sterilize the game and it's TV "flow". Such is the price we pay for Roger's broadcast rights. I live in the boonies, and my tsnGO app can never sync with the television for more than five minutes. Beyak and the Sherriff will become faultless and patron saints after this series.

I do take solace in the fact that John Garrett is nowhere near this series (He is on the Wings-Bolts and it is terri-awful-tastic!)

Another thing I don't understand is media outlets (I've seen it from CJOB and Globe and Mail) reporting 5,500 days or so since the Jets last playoff game. Ummm, ok. It was 6,927 but who's counting. Let's not verify facts, or anything.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Ha exactly. He didn't realize they can't just look at one replay angle and say "good goal" and play on. They need to double and triple check, they need to check how much time was left on the clock, they need to reset the clock, they need to ensure the correct penalty procedures are followed, get the correct culprit, ensure the off-ice officials know wtf is going on, etc. He really was annoyed that they couldn't drop the puck right away since Perry was all pumped :laugh:
I forgot about that part (it was late, I was tired from my own game), that was hilarious though. He was very upset about it.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
My favourite part was how Galley was getting really annoyed that the delay in sorting it all out was killing all Anaheim's momentum. :laugh:

Yep, pretty much decided that Galley is an a**hole and an ignorant one at that. The other guy sounded like he was talking in a tin cup and could barely hear him above the crowd, but other than that he would have been fine doing a CHL game -- just booooorrring.

jester24

Oct 27, 2011
Thank God this thread was started! That was the worst announced game I can remember seeing! Very little actual play by play and most insights they had regarded either how little Perry and Getzlaff did early or how much they did late! It's like they only knew two players on the ice and everyone else was just window dressing. Hey, I get that those two are superstars and did do us in but it was the whole game long. I'm 100% in agreement that the 1290 feed will be on in my house next game.

P.S. I just sent my complaint through the link

Last edited:

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
Corey Perry played well enough to receive the praise he got last night. I think complaining about a colour commentator talking about :

A) How well the best player on the ice for either team
B) The Ducks dominating the final 30 minutes of the game

is a bit silly. They shouldn't ignore the other team playing well to focus on the Jets.

Stop speaking complete sense and logic. [mod]

There was nothing wrong the broadcast. [mod] The Sportsnet broadcast is a national broadcast, not a Jets broadcast and they have to call the game from an even perspective and focus on the major story lines which they did.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
I prefer TSN to Sportsnet.

But I didn't hear any anti-Jets homerism in the broadcast last night. At all.

I like Randorf, am neutral on Galley, and dislike their intermission segments.

I'm with you Joe. I'm fine with Randorf's call.

I didn't have a problem with things when the jets were leading or things were even.
Seems to me that the pbp crew for the most part tends to favour the team that is leading or pushing the play at that moment.
When the ducks pulled ahead and pushed the play that's all they talked about. They pump the tires of the leading team and get caught up in the moment, which was probably a little easier to do with it being a game 1 playoff game and the home team was winning.

I would love a little more neutrality for a national broadcast but I haven't seen it all year so I am not expecting it to change now.
It's the format that wears thin on me. Just call the play and keep the colour commentator talk between the whistles and at a minimum and relevant to the play.

I'll be watching the rest of the way, and suspect if the jets are winning, the pbp crew will be pumping their tires. Here's hoping that's the case moving forward. ;)

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I was fine with the coverage last night.
The commentary between periods wasnt great though.

So Galley didn't know the rule for a situation that almost never happens, big deal. At the end of it he said he was wrong and apologized.

The Jets have profited greatly from this TV deal and it allows them to put a better product on the ice. I'll live with a few banner ads they SN needs to use in order to pay the bills.

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Another thing I don't understand is media outlets (I've seen it from CJOB and Globe and Mail) reporting 5,500 days or so since the Jets last playoff game. Ummm, ok. It was 6,927 but who's counting. Let's not verify facts, or anything.

Facts are for those devoid of passion (or something). :sarcasm:

jetkarma*

As I almost always do , I just got the audio feed online from 1290 and turned down the sound on the tv. Got Beyak , Hnidy and the rest of the crew.

The online audio is quite behind so I just pause the tv and start it when the audio portion is in time.

Much prefer hearing the local play by play.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
maybe i'm just used to hearing most games from the other broadcast POV, but I really don't see what the fuss is. Only thing that mildly annoyed me was galley mentioning the wait was killing ducks momentum, but it was a factual statement (if you believe in momentum).

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
too many closeup shots during game play. crowd cheers and you have no idea what happened because the camera is on one player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00