Online Series: If you have been paying for HBOMAX---how annoyed are you right now?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was going to use the word pissed in the title but that might offended some

The purging of shows has now continued

today

Sesame Street got pulled and it sounds like some massive shows and movies may get yanked before the dust settles this fall on the merger

I know a few people in the states who paid for a yearly subscription and they less than happy right now

looks like they have slashed the renewal and new subscriptions by 30 %

could be interesting to see how this unfolds. Discovery + is mostly reality tv shows and stuff like that

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
& this is why whatever movies/shows they produce I just find online for free. I would be livid if I was paying that much per month yet losing all kinds of content.

Sep 19, 2008
i don't care. i saw they removed some shows but i didn't watch them anyway

"the tv shows on hbo max suck"

they do not suck. they're better than those on netflix. and yinz are forgetting house of the dragon is on this sunday...

Reactions: Chaels Arms

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I will miss exactly zero of this:

MAX ORIGINALS
12 Dates of Christmas
About Last Night
Aquaman: King of Atlantis
Close Enough
Ellen’s Next Great Designer
Esme & Roy
The Fungies!
Generation Hustle
Genera+ion
Infinity Train
Little Ellen
My Mom, Your Dad
Odo
Ravi Patel’s Pursuit of Happiness
Summer Camp Island
The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo
(and select Sesame Street specials)
The Runaway Bunny
Theodosia
Tig n’ Seek
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs

HBO ORIGINALS
My Dinner with Herve

CARTOON NETWORK ORIGINALS
Dodo
Elliott From Earth
Mao Mao, Heroes of Pure Heart
Mighty Magiswords
OK K.O.! – Let’s Be Heroes
Uncle Grandpa
Victor and Valentino

ADDITIONAL ACQUIRED TITLES
Detention Adventure
Messy Goes to Okido
Mia’s Magic Playground
The Ollie & Moon Show
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Make It Big, Make It Small
Squish

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Much ado about nothing. Sesame Street is the only title of note that's being dropped, there's still 456 episodes left on HBO Max.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I haven't really read too much about this, but why are they dropping things? It's already produced, they have the material, so I don't really understand. Is that content going to a different provider now or just going into a vault?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I haven't really read too much about this, but why are they dropping things? It's already produced, they have the material, so I don't really understand. Is that content going to a different provider now or just going into a vault?

My understanding (which may not be fully accurate), there's two reasons.

One, royalties get paid for shows available for streaming. I don't think it's very much, but, the idea being if it's not making a difference in subscription rates, then, why bother paying.

There's also apparently some tax incentive for cancelling a property and taking the tax loss. At least, that applied to the recent cancellation of Batgirl. I'm unsure if it applies for already available products.

I can understand the frustration from the people behind these projects, where you'd make a project, and hope that it finds an audience eventually. With streaming, you don't get the marketing push you often would get from traditional TV or theatrical releases. Then to get the whole thing pulled because its not worth the meager royalties offered. Physical media usually isn't even available, so, if you're a struggling actor, you have no copy of your work you can show to others to land future jobs.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Some shows disappear from streaming services temporarily due to licensing contracts with other platforms/networks and will return when those contractual obligations are filled.

Reactions: John Price

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Who subscribed for Sesame Street lol you can put on a playlist of episodes for your children to watch on Youtube for free.

I don't have this service but this is the worse reason lol.

Sep 19, 2008
1. most people didn't watch much of the rotated-out content
2. i'm sure it's online somewhere
3. the aforementioned removed content isn't major, nothing like Curb or GoT or Sopranos or the Wire

start whining when Wonder Woman and Peacemaker get removed

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I get HBO Max as a HBO Subscriber

I have not heard of any of those shows outside of Sesame Street

As for movies dropping all the streaming networks including free one's are dropping films/tv series monthly as rights often are changed or exclusivity deals expire

I suspect HBO/Discovery being merged into one streaming service will be disaster, but this move as well as cutting the HBO reality staff, etc make sense (Don't need HBO reality people when Discovery has that covered)

Apparently almost every show listed here has little or no viewers

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's a subscription service, it's normal for content to rotate in and out
actually it is more than that---most of the stuff has been permanently yanked. THe guys who are running discovery + have laid out their plans. When HBO max was first announced it's main selling point was that all HBO shows would be available and not they are saying only some

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!
Sep 19, 2008
actually it is more than that---most of the stuff has been permanently yanked. THe guys who are running discovery + have laid out their plans. When HBO max was first announced it's main selling point was that all HBO shows would be available and not they are saying only some
that's great, were you watching any of this "yanked" content or do you know anyone who was

cause i don't lol

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I do hate that subscription services have/are overtaking owning media (physical or digital, doesn't matter) in general, because of stuff like this (on a practical level, this specific case doesn't affect me, but the principle is the same). Things can be fantastic but unpopular, and under this model, they disappear forever, with no way of ever legally keeping a copy for yourself (if they were created during/after the streaming era).

Piracy is actually a positive force in this matter, IMO. Same with emulation for things like videogames. The more that streaming takes over everything, the more I support stuff like that, despite being illegal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
it will be interesting to see if Game of Thrones, sopranos and other shows end up getting dropped
They wont. It’s their staple shows. Who cares about sesame street lol.

But i will say, i have 100x more streaming issues with HBO than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad