If you had to trade one of the big 3 forward prospects...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would consider trading Zibanejad for the right price (like in a trade for Nash). Now isn't the time to trade him though, as his value is at its lowest.

Wouldn't trade Stone, for Silf the return would have to be VERY good

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Zibanejad. His first year was meh, a bunch of injuries, loves shooting from the blue line, average hockey sense.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Loooooool, Zibanejad is so underrated.

Stone. His skating scares me.

With that being said, Zibanejad holds the most trade value of the 3 and for good reason. If he was part of a package for a guy like Ryan I'd do it because that's Zibby's potential if all goes well.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
Zibanejad. Would package him for a high end winger (Nash, Ryan, etc) or a one for one for a high end defensive prospect (Gormley).

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Zibanejad. His first year was meh, a bunch of injuries, loves shooting from the blue line, average hockey sense.

Yeah I pretty much I agree with this post. Probably does not help that I really wanted the team to get Landeskog/Couturier instead. My opinion on that draft will probably always be a bit biased unless Zibanejad really explodes. Terrible season ruined even more by the fact that they had to win pointless games not using McBackup and then the product of that has not been super impressive.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Stone is an absolute gem and will play in the league for years. I see him as a potential lifetime Sen.

Silfverberg has great skill and sense; he's Alfie lite at this point and could develop into an Alfie clone. Alfie might even let him wear the retired 11 after 10 all-star seasons.

Zibanejad is full of potential and I think, out of the three, is the unknown. Will he develop and how far can he go. Time will tell.

Of these three, Silfverberg will make the team for out of the gate, then Stone and then Hoffman in the 2 and 3 or 3 and 2 spot, depending on what needs the team is looking to deploy.

Of the prospect forward big 6; Petersson is the one that will not make it here in my opinion. His chance is now and he's not there yet. He will be passed on the depth chart and could easily be part of a trade package to move up in the draft. DaCosta is another where the clock is ticking. Depending on our draft position (from the lottery?) I wonder what a Zibanejad, Petersson plus our 2nd would bring - a chance to draft Monahan in the 6 or 7 spot? I'd think about that.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Of the prospect forward big 6; Petersson is the one that will not make it here in my opinion. His chance is now and he's not there yet. He will be passed on the depth chart and could easily be part of a trade package to move up in the draft. DaCosta is another where the clock is ticking. Depending on our draft position (from the lottery?) I wonder what a Zibanejad, Petersson plus our 2nd would bring - a chance to draft Monahan in the 6 or 7 spot? I'd think about that.

Considering how he's playing I doubt we could get much for him, I think he's Sweden bound after this season if he doesn't make it, and we don't have a 2nd round pick this year (Bishop).

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Considering how he's playing I doubt we could get much for him, I think he's Sweden bound after this season if he doesn't make it, and we don't have a 2nd round pick this year (Bishop).

Forgot that - and Bishop is a keeper for sure.

Of the three, if the year is wiped. Anderson could be the one on the block for next year.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Considering where they probably are in terms of value for other teams, Zibanejad for sure.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I picked Z. I made an assumption that his value is as high or higher than the other two & I (barely) like the other two better as prospects.

I wouldn't want to move Silf cause he appears to be closest to contributing in the NHL and I think he can help make us contenders in the short term. Z is a year or two away from doing that imo.

Germz

4th liners ftw
Aug 14, 2008
Toronto, ON
Stone for me. I like him, especially in an organization that needs pure offensive upside. but I think we have another guy in the system - Puempel - who can bring many of the same strengths in an even better package in couple of years, assuming he can stay healthy.

Struggles and health issues aside, I don't think we have anyone in the organization who can bring what Zibanejad can bring. This organization has pulled a lot of prospects out of early injury problems into long successful careers.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
I see Zibanejad as being an Good-Elite 2nd liner and a meh 1st liner but I see Silfverberg ending up like Alfredsson, and Stone being our top line winger for years to come.

Stone-Turris/????-Silfverberg
Zibanejad-Pageau-Puempel
Noeson-Smith-???
???-???-???

That is all hypothetical and asssuming we maintain our prospects.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I see Zibanejad as being an Good-Elite 2nd liner and a meh 1st liner but I see Silfverberg ending up like Alfredsson, and Stone being our top line winger for years to come.

Stone-Turris/????-Silfverberg
Zibanejad-Pageau-Puempel
Noeson-Smith-???
???-???-???

That is all hypothetical and asssuming we maintain our prospects.

So in four years

Silfverberg - Spezza - Stone
Noesen - Turris - Puempel
Hoffman - Smith - O'Brien
Prince - Pageau - Zibanejad
Greening

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Stone for me, if the right deal came. He will be an NHL player, but it's not certain if he will ever be a top-6 guy. He does, however, have the least trade value of the three IMHO.

Zibby has raw potential, but it's not certain if he will ever be a top-6 guy either. However, he has the ability to be, at the very least, an effective 3rd line guy who chips in with important goals here and there. He is more "clutchy", like our other home boy Turris. I also believe his ceiling is higher than all three, however it's too early to say that he will never put it all together.

Silf's transition has been much quicker. As an older prospect, he is showing signs of the kind of player he is. I believe he will be a quality top-6 guy for Ottawa.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Stone for me, if the right deal came. He will be an NHL player, but it's not certain if he will ever be a top-6 guy. He does, however, have the least trade value of the three IMHO.

Zibby has raw potential, but it's not certain if he will ever be a top-6 guy either. However, he has the ability to be, at the very least, an effective 3rd line guy who chips in with important goals here and there. He is more "clutchy", like our other home boy Turris. I also believe his ceiling is higher than all three, however it's too early to say that he will never put it all together.

Silf's transition has been much quicker. As an older prospect, he is showing signs of the kind of player he is. I believe he will be a quality top-6 guy for Ottawa.

Potential does not mean a heck of a lot when you are injured all the time. Kind of hard to develop a prospect that rarely plays. Hopefully that part of his "game" gets addressed/fixed soon. Bad luck with health issues is never fun but look no further than Rick Dipietro to see what happens when a prospect is always hurt for one reason or another.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Potential does not mean a heck of a lot when you are injured all the time. Kind of hard to develop a prospect that rarely plays. Hopefully that part of his "game" gets addressed/fixed soon. Bad luck with health issues is never fun but look no further than Rick Dipietro to see what happens when a prospect is always hurt for one reason or another.

I think it's presumptuous to knock on Zibanejad for his health issues at this point. For all we know, he had some bad luck getting knocks to the head twice last year and now with wisdom teeth/illness. Sure, there could be other stuff in there too as he's missed abnormally long time for various illnesses, but I think it's too early to decide whether this is just a bad year or if he's actually extremely prone to these kinds of things.

Jared Cowen has had some major stuff hindering his development yet we are assuming he'll be a top-4 D for years, and rightfully so.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I think it's presumptuous to knock on Zibanejad for his health issues at this point. For all we know, he had some bad luck getting knocks to the head twice last year and now with wisdom teeth/illness. Sure, there could be other stuff in there too as he's missed abnormally long time for various illnesses, but I think it's too early to decide whether this is just a bad year or if he's actually extremely prone to these kinds of things.

Jared Cowen has had some major stuff hindering his development yet we are assuming he'll be a top-4 D for years, and rightfully so.

Yeah I have not labeled him as a complete band-aid yet. Just seems like that is how he is trending at the moment. Until he starts getting into games and producing I'm not going to bother getting excited about his future on the team.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Would rather not trade any of them. Zibanejad would be selling low, Stone has value, but being a late round pick and having average skating hurt his value. Silfverberg is adapting well to North American rinks, and is a proven winner. He would probably garner the best return at this point.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Zibanejad. simply cuz i like what i see from the others, compared to him.
Stone and Silfv are showing alot of good things, while the other still has troubles adjusting in the smaller ice.

in the perfect world hopefully the 3 become what we expect.

nothing that havent been said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad