OT: If you don't understand what the phrase "Burn the Boats" means

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's still a terrible gimmick, it's a negative being used as a positive.

Why not Crash the net or Own the Zone or Empower self or Rule the road or never back down...but no we take burn the boats which can be seen as in this context as destroy what you have made and except your fate. Lol it's seriously just terrible...

Rule the Ice!

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Better idea:

Chop boats up
Use materials to make hockey sticks
Play hockey
???
Make new boats out of used hockey sticks
Go home

The point is, you don't return to home. For the Leafs, home has been the golf course in April/May. Our conquest is to make the playoffs our new home.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The point is, you don't return to home. For the Leafs, home has been the golf course in April/May. Our conquest is to make the playoffs our new home.

That would so suck , you mean a bunch of guys stuck on this land away from the wives family no hope of going home but we can go kill some people or die and even if we win we can't get back. That sounds like it sucks,

Burn the general that burns the boat and destroys hope of going home, probably his best motivator in this thing called reality lol.

$20,000.00 per goal

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's still a terrible gimmick, it's a negative being used as a positive.

Why not Crash the net or Own the Zone or Empower self or Rule the road or never back down...but no we take burn the boats which can be seen as in this context as destroy what you have made and except your fate. Lol it's seriously just terrible...

Rule the Ice!

You really, really can't grasp the meaning can you? :laugh:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Honestly, I think from a historical and literary standpoint, it's an extremely poor phrase to use for a sports team, never mind that it's my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs. The Portuguese have nothing to do with this team; going into games or heading towards the playoffs, it's an extremely poor analogy, mostly because there are no metaphorical boats to burn; and, it's clearly not well known among the general population of Canadians.

From a moral standpoint, it's reprehensible, IMHO. Cortes was a murdering psychopath by today's standards, by his day's standards, as ruthless a dictator as any. To have a phrase celebrating his murder of millions of indigenous peoples of our continent . . . is surely not the right thing to use! That's not being politically correct, that's just speaking as a human being.

The Leafs fan using this phrase should use something better.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Honestly, I think from a historical and literary standpoint, it's an extremely poor phrase to use for a sports team, never mind that it's my beloved Toronto Maple Leafs. The Portuguese have nothing to do with this team; going into games or heading towards the playoffs, it's an extremely poor analogy, mostly because there are no metaphorical boats to burn; and, it's clearly not well known among the general population of Canadians.

From a moral standpoint, it's reprehensible, IMHO. Cortes was a murdering psychopath by today's standards, by his day's standards, as ruthless a dictator as any. To have a phrase celebrating his murder of millions of indigenous peoples of our continent . . . is surely not the right thing to use! That's not being politically correct, that's just speaking as a human being.

And that's my point, it's like using **** and pillage as your motivational phrase. It's terrible from every which way you look at it.

I don't even know the team would buy in to this gimmick over Never Back Down. Create Destiny. Empower Each Other. Sacrifice Nothing. Take it Home

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.The metaphorical boats are the teams of the past. The players, the management etc. More importantly, the lack of playoff runs and season after season of losing. Leave it all behind. Simple message.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.The metaphorical boats are the teams of the past. The players, the management etc. More importantly, the lack of playoff runs and season after season of losing. Leave it all behind. Simple message.

It is what it is with and without the spin lol.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
How many effing times does this need to be explained to people?

Also, upset because of the circumstances around the saying? Cmon.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Last year the Leafs also "burned the boats", unfortunately the Leafs team was in them at the time. Thus the final result. !!!!

This year at least they got out first.

:sarcasm:

Abandons ship, then burn the boat...? Lol

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
This phrase is meaningless when the worst-case scenario is that you fail and have a few months off with a couple million bucks in your bank account.

Yeah, burn the boats... so stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad