If you could teach your kid one thing about hockey, what would it be?

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Definitely keep your head up, not that pro hockey players seem to do it anymore. Can't stand how many arguments I get into over players being concussed because people never blame the hittee for putting themselves in such a situation, just the hitter for not letting up, as if that's how you play defense.

If I could only teach one thing, it would probably be to never give up on a play. Back check that guy on the breakaway even if you know you're not going to catch him because you can collect a rebound if it happens instead of giving them a second chance. Especially when it comes to kids leagues or beer leagues, people make mistakes. Assume they're going to make a mistake and back check so you can be there when they miss the puck. If you're a winger in your zone and the other team has the puck behind your goal line, pay attention to the point man you're covering instead of just floating around, they'll sneak in. I've only played beer league because my parents couldn't afford hockey for me as a kid and it drives me nuts how lazy players can be. It's not surprising when I'm the only forward on my team that actually backchecks.

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
You get out, what you put in!

I use this one with both of my kids...with school, work, and life in general!

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
1) Be aware of everyone on the ice at all times
2) Pass the puck with speed and precision
3) It's more important to create/eliminate time and space on offense/defense than it is about skating as fast as you can and hitting everyone

Thesensation19*

Do your job, play your role, be in the right positions on and off the puck and dont worry about scoring. You play hard and play smart and the points will follow...

Wayne Gretzky said something to his children that I follow as well,
dont go where the puck is, but rather go where it is going

keysersoze98

Jul 24, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Wayne Gretzky said something to his children that I follow as well,
dont go where the puck is, but rather go where it is going
About 10 years ago, I coached some roller hockey with Walter (Wayne dad for those if you that don't know.) and a lot with Walter's best friend for something like 50 years. He was telling me that when Wayne was 3-4 years old, he would watch a hockey game with a pad of paper and a pen. He would draw the rink on the paper draw the path of the puck on the paper as it happened. At each commercial, he would study the route that the puck took and talk to his dad about it. Crazy at that age.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I'm just amazed at what my three year old figured out how to do on his own. I got him a little 7 iron and in a week he was chipping the ball 30 yards through the air (gripping it like a hockey stick, haha). He was taking slappers and one timers (not on skates) by age two. Started hitting pitches at two. Could throw a spiral before three. Learned to cast a fishing pole almost 50 feet in a few hours.

I don't ever teach or tell him anything (other than no throwing in the house and keep your stick down). For little kids it seems best to just get out of the way and let them have some fun.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
ALWAYS stick up for your team mates.
There is nothing you can teach your kid to make him become an NHLer

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
Have fun. I have a 5 y/o in hockey class nwo and I'm an Asst. Coach. Although I want him to try hard and never quit on anything I know the most important thing to teach is making it fun. I have had many coaches and teamates in a variety of sports take the game too serious and for the most part it can bring down the level of fun. So for my son, it's just have fun and try hard. Can't ask for more than that. Especially if he leaves the ice with a smile on his face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad