If you could choose between Bylsma or Shero?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
You have two options:

A: Fire Bylsma in the offseason, but Shero keeps his job. Shero re-signs Orpik, Glass and Pyatt in the offseason and extends Adams for another year. Jacques Martin is the new head coach.

B: Keep Bylsma as a coach, but Shero gets fired. Orpik, Glass and Pyatt don't get re-signed. Adams doesn't get an extension.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I'll take neither option.

I'll keep Shero, fire Bylsma, and have Shero make better moves than that.

Adams isn't getting an extension in the off-season. :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Shero and it's not even close? Like, there is no % of me who wants to keep Bylsma, there is no real part of me who wants to fire Shero.

Shero, imo, made all the right moves through MT's tenure. He made some good ones immediately after the change over.

The past couple of years have been bad. Is it Bylsma? Is it Mario? Something has changed, I'm not sure what, but I still have faith in Shero all things being equal.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Firing Shero eliminates both of them and probably many more. It would be very nice to never have to hear that: "Shero isn't interested in trading for rentals, again..."

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
If you get rid of Shero, you're getting rid of Bylsma by extension. Any new GM will hire his own coach, especially after seeing Bylsma. For that reason I didn't vote, but I'll say Shero for sure. Not a fan at all of the moves he's made the past couple of offseasons/trade deadlines/drafts. I'd like a culture change.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Firing Shero eliminates both of them and probably many more. It would be very nice to never have to hear that: "Shero isn't interested in trading for rentals, again..."

Except he is, and that's one of his problems. He wastes assets on band-aid fixes.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
If you get rid of Shero, you're getting rid of Bylsma by extension. Any new GM will hire his own coach, especially after seeing Bylsma. For that reason I didn't vote, but I'll say Shero for sure. Not a fan at all of the moves he's made the past couple of offseasons/trade deadlines/drafts. I'd like a culture change.

Same here.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I want DB gone, not Shero. I think DB has poisoned Shero's mind in a way, and if they had an elite coach, ala Robinson, Shero would shine. I truly believe that.

I'm 100% sure Shero isn't in any danger. I don't feel as good about him as I used to, but he can still become the GM I believe he can be. With DB, I have no faith left in him. He continually does and says stupid ****. The latest is saying he decided to play his "seven heaviest d- men" and admitting that he has different rules for different guys.

How can you make an excuse about not benching Neal, while benching JJ, when you ramble on about their ice time and stars have more shifts. They are on the same line for ****s sakes. It's like he just makes **** up and thinks nobody will apply logic to his answers.

There is a lot of noise out there right now, and we have people saying DB is in trouble, while others say it's total BS. Shero, the horses mouth, said DB was never in any danger last summer. LeBrun said he was close to being kicked to the curb. Personally, I think Shero is really attached to this guy and sees greatness in him. I'm positive he thinks if he just waits out these rough times, DB will reward him with more cups and show everyone why he was right to stick by him.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Young-Girl-Shrugs-Why-Dont-We-Have-Both.gif

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Shero and it's not even close? Like, there is no % of me who wants to keep Bylsma, there is no real part of me who wants to fire Shero.

Shero, imo, made all the right moves through MT's tenure. He made some good ones immediately after the change over.

The past couple of years have been bad. Is it Bylsma? Is it Mario? Something has changed, I'm not sure what, but I still have faith in Shero all things being equal.

I'm not sure I follow, you still have faith in Shero even after "the past couple of BAD years"?

Let me list some of Ray's bad moves:

Signed Scuderi to FOUR years
Singed Kobasew
Traded for Brendan Morrow giving up a first round pick
Traded for Murray and gave up 2 Second round picks for 2 months of service
Signed Dupuis to FOUR years
Signed Adams to TWO years
Trades for Iginla for two players and first round pick, allows coach not to use him correctly and then doesn't attempt to resign.
Signed Dan Bylsma to TWO years
Loses Brian Strait for nothing
Trades Lovejoy for a 5th round pick
Signs Mark Eaton
Signs D'Agostini

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Fire Shero

Although Im in favor of getting rid of both, let's keep in mind that Bylsma isnt the one that decided to sign Kris Letang for 8 years, 58 million dollars when he could have traded him for more depth at forward. He's also not the one that has botched nearly every single draft pick (aside from Maatta) since being hired.

Im not a Bylsma fan, i just feel like the team has been slowly declining as far as depth since winning the cup in 2009

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'd rather fire Shero.. his grinding philosophy hasn't yielded much results. Not to mention, his scouting and drafting record is utterly atrocious.

Then you consider the contracts he awards: Letang $58M.. Staal $50M, Scuderi, etc..

With the embarrassment of riches this franchise has, it's simply unacceptable to not be in the cup finals almost every year.

I1J7Atm.png

At the end of the day, I'd fire Bylsma too..but Shero has made some very very questionable moves in the past few years.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I'd rather fire Shero.. his grinding philosophy hasn't yielded much results. Not to mention, his scouting and drafting record is utterly atrocious.

Then you consider the contracts he awards: Letang $58M.. Staal $50M, Scuderi, etc..

With the embarrassment of riches this franchise has, it's simply unacceptable to not be in the cup finals almost every year.

I1J7Atm.png

At the end of the day, I'd fire Bylsma too..but Shero has made some very very questionable moves in the past few years.

If I'm building a team, the right mix of forwards is to have one of each type of player on each line. The Pens have mostly all light and a few medium, not a good mix when you play against a "heavy" team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'm not thrilled with some of his philosophies. Since 2006, when he passed up Kessel, I've been openly critical that he was making a mistake by not building around Malkin and Crosby. I was pretty adamant for quite awhile.

I remember for example, arguing with people who thought Army was a heart and soul guy, and I kept insisting a guy like Kessel should be on Crosby's wing, not Army, and how utterly ridiculous it all was, Even back then the counter argument was, "Shero will get Crosby his wingers, relax. Besides, Army is funny!"

I can't even fathom how it's still an issue now, but it is. I just kind of gave up complaining because after 8-9 years, you run out of ways to complain I guess. I just had hope Shero would build a sick blueline pipe and turn those assets into a deep team, which has two talented wingers flanking Crosby.

So I get why people are pissed, but blowing up the coach and GM, then starting over isn't something that an intelligent org should have to do.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
If Shero grows a pair of balls and realizes that the team needs to more grit and size with the talent, then I'd keep him over Bylsma. But, I think that my opinion would change if Shero was to hire Jacques Martin as a head coach. If you thought that this team plays with little passion and grit now, then be prepared to have a more p***yfed team with Martin as a head coach.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I'm not sure I follow, you still have faith in Shero even after "the past couple of BAD years"?

Let me list some of Ray's bad moves:

Signed Scuderi to FOUR years
Singed Kobasew
Traded for Brendan Morrow giving up a first round pick
Traded for Murray and gave up 2 Second round picks for 2 months of service
Signed Dupuis to FOUR years
Signed Adams to TWO years
Trades for Iginla for two players and first round pick, allows coach not to use him correctly and then doesn't attempt to resign.
Signed Dan Bylsma to TWO years
Loses Brian Strait for nothing
Trades Lovejoy for a 5th round pick
Signs Mark Eaton
Signs D'Agostini

I agree with all of the above except Dupuis. Duper is still a fine PKer and is still Sid's best option now on RW. Yes, he did overpay for Duper.

However, both must go. A new set of eyes, philosophy is needed. For this team to continue on its merry way to mediocracy is unacceptable. A full and complete spring cleaning is necessary for this team to compete for the cup.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
In general, we have more than enough talent for a decent coach to win. When you see what happens in Vancouver, Toronto, Philadelphia, etc, you realize Shero really isn't the problem. The coach is.

But Shero is culpable for keeping DB around.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I don't see why getting rid of Bylsma means we have to resign Orpik, Glass and Pyatt. Is that to even the sides because you know everyone would choose Byslma all else being equal? If so I still choose the option to get rid of Bylsma. I just....I can't even take it anymore.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I honestly think they both should go. Watching Dan last year convinced of his waste, we had a far superior team to any in the field and we couldn't generate offense or use players correctly.

It has been 5 years since we have been able to sustain offensive pressure in the Ozone. We only score off the rush. Won't win a cup that way ever.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
I don't see why getting rid of Bylsma means we have to resign Orpik, Glass and Pyatt. Is that to even the sides because you know everyone would choose Byslma all else being equal? If so I still choose the option to get rid of Bylsma. I just....I can't even take it anymore.

Fire Byisma or Fire Shero with no penalties attached to each choice, that would be a pretty lopsided poll.

Michael8771*

You keep my home boy Ray, and you let disco dance his way outta here! It's elementary my sweet dear watson!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad