Speculation: If you could bench Kunitz and Scuderi who replaces them?

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Kunitz in the bottom 6 is fine (ideally 4th line). Scuderi should be the 7th D if Ehrhoff comes back.

Also, are people forgetting Harrington's last few games? When he makes a mistake, he compounds it by making more and lost us a game. And I don't think the playoffs would be the best place for him to come back because of even more pressure. Among the young D, I'd go with Dumoulin.

But only once we are down 3-1 in a series, with Perron and Malkin having zero playing time on the same line prior to that.

I think when we're 3-1 down, they'd probably throw Geno and Sid on the same line to try to save things. Welcome back 2C Sutter.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I think some folks over-value Winnik and let Downie's reputation cloud their judgement on him.

Winnik just can't score enough to justify a spot playing with Sid or Geno. He may have looked good by comparison the other night, but I honestly think Downie would be MUCH more valuable in that spot. I could be wrong, but didn't Downie play along side of Stamkos?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I think some folks over-value Winnik and let Downie's reputation cloud their judgement on him.

Winnik just can't score enough to justify a spot playing with Sid or Geno. He may have looked good by comparison the other night, but I honestly think Downie would be MUCH more valuable in that spot. I could be wrong, but didn't Downie play along side of Stamkos?

He did. If I'm not mistaken didn't Downie play with Duchene a little bit too? Anyways, I'd also prefer to see Downie in the top 6 over Winnik. I think both are better options than Kunitz though.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Harrington and Dumoulin will no doubt replace a guy like Scuderi

As for Kunitz, it would have to be BB. That's if management shows some faith in him and let's him play for more then just 2-3 games at that top 6 position. If not him, then KK or they will have to go the UFA route/trade

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Right but we need someone in the bottom 6 that can score. Downie is really needed in the bottom 6. Winnik can skate with Sid, win board battles, and get him the puck. Horny can drive the net and cause havoc and Sid can do his thing. Plus, Downie is a pure right winger. There really isn't an ideal spot for Downie in the top 6.

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist (certainly not ideal but it's probably the best we have)
Perron-Malkin-Comeau
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Lapierre-Bennett

That's the best realistic lineup the Pens can put together.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Right but we need someone in the bottom 6 that can score. Downie is really needed in the bottom 6. Winnik can skate with Sid, win board battles, and get him the puck. Horny can drive the net and cause havoc and Sid can do his thing. Plus, Downie is a pure right winger. There really isn't an ideal spot for Downie in the top 6.

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist (certainly not ideal but it's probably the best we have)
Perron-Malkin-Comeau
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Lapierre-Bennett

That's the best realistic lineup the Pens can put together.

We can sit Kunitz and call up someone from W-B/S.
Perron/Comeau - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron/Comeau - Malkin - BB
Winnik - Spaling - Downie
Wilson/Farnham - Sutter - Lappy/Megna/Rust

Martin - Letang
Pooh - Rev
Harry/Dumo - Cole

I think (maybe) if we put Ehrhoff on LTIR we could do that now

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
By realistic, I meant that the Pen's would actually do. Also, I think guys like Farnham, Megna, Rust can help in doses, but let's be honest that none of them are actual solutions.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
I wouldn't bench Kunitz but I'd certainly 4th line him. Distribute the minutes to hard working players who deserve it (Winnik, Spaling), and the only young winger on the team with the skills to develop into a top 6 solution (Bennett).

Kunitz - Lapierre - Downie, could be our 4th line "checking" line. Or if we want Sutter to be accountable too, then drop him to 4C, bump Lapierre to 4RW, and move Downie up to 3RW

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
By realistic, I meant that the Pen's would actually do. Also, I think guys like Farnham, Megna, Rust can help in doses, but let's be honest that none of them are actual solutions.

Agree about Farnham and Megna, but I'm not sure about Rust. He kind of got thrown in the deep end for most of the games he was up. He's probably not a top six solution, but he might be one for the bottom six. Wilson, I'd like to see what he can do ... provided he makes through a whole game.

As far as realistic ... honestly, I think Kunitz on the third line is about as realistic as him being benched :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad