Speculation: If you could bench Kunitz and Scuderi who replaces them?

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Just because I haven't jumped ship doesn't mean I agree with everything going on with the team I have followed for the better part of four decades.

In the confines of reality (meaning players we can call up at this point) and salary cap implications considered (though I don't think that matters in the playoffs) if you could bench/cut/just be rid of Kunitz and Scuderi who would you replace them with?

I think Kunitz is done as a hockey player and from my own point of view I appreciate what he added to the team, but not only does he not add anything anymore he's turned into a liability. I hate it, but that's the way it is. I hope he turns it around, but we just see no signs of it.

Scuderi, well, he's slow has no shot and is out of position so often it's apparent he's hanging on, but barely. He shows signs of usefulness but they are surrounded by periods of complete ineptness.

In the confines of reality, and assume everyone is healthy who's going to be healthy (IE: No Matta or Dupuis) how do you fill the roster without them?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Put Kunitz on the 3rd line and find out if he can at least do something productive with Sutter, who's going to **** up any line's possession regardless.

Bench Scuderi and bring up Harrington, like they should have done at the beginning of the year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
if they were as healthy as possible (So Maatta and Dupuis don't return, but all others do)

Perron/Winnik - Crosby - Hornqvist
Winnik/Comeau/Perron - Malkin - Bennett/Comeau

(Basically, Crosby - Hornqvist and Malkin are the only 3 set in stone)

Kunitz - Sutter - Lapierre

Downie - Spaling - Bennett/Comeau

Let KSL have the title of "3rd line" and let the better 3rd line be the 4th line. Everyone is happy

Martin - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Harrington - Cole

edit:

Despres - Despres
Despres - Despres
Despres - Despres

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Put Kunitz on the 3rd line and find out if he can at least do something productive with Sutter, who's going to **** up any line's possession regardless.

Bench Scuderi and bring up Harrington, like they should have done at the beginning of the year.

That's not in the 'confines of reality', at least not Penguins reality. :p:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
if they were as healthy as possible (So Maatta and Dupuis don't return, but all others do)

Perron/Winnik - Crosby - Hornqvist
Winnik/Comeau/Perron - Malkin - Bennett/Comeau

(Basically, Crosby - Hornqvist and Malkin are the only 3 set in stone)

Kunitz - Sutter - Lapierre

Downie - Spaling - Bennett/Comeau

Let KSL have the title of "3rd line" and let the better 3rd line be the 4th line. Everyone is happy

Martin - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Harrington - Cole

Well done. :handclap:

For me . . .

Winnik/Downie-Sid-Horny
Perron-Geno-Comeau
THE THIRD LINE ;) (Kunitz-Sutter-Lappy)
Downie/Winnik-Spaling-Beau

Beau on L2 definitely doesn't count as within the confines of reality. :laugh:

One other thing: Even though these are 'the lines', I'm basically looking to play Sid and Geno a minimum of 45 minutes a night combined . . . basically until they drop.

ChrisKuuuunitz

4 time champ
Jan 14, 2015
there
Despres, oh wait. Just make Craig Adams a defenseman, he cant score, and is great at taking up space.

Just start bringing up randoms from WBS already, but it's never going to happen because they are not benching Kunitz in the playoffs for a WBS guy unless its for due to injury.

I actually think they need to get healthy and get their damn lines figured out.

And they need to go to the net more, and Crosby needs to play better, he should be dictating the game, they are still going to call obvious penalties, he should be drawing more penalties, but he's crying too much so they quit calling them.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well done. :handclap:

For me . . .

Winnik/Downie-Sid-Horny
Perron-Geno-Comeau
THE THIRD LINE ;) (Kunitz-Sutter-Lappy)
Downie/Winnik-Spaling-Beau

Beau on L2 definitely doesn't count as within the confines of reality. :laugh:

One other thing: Even though these are 'the lines', I'm basically looking to play Sid and Geno a minimum of 45 minutes a night combined . . . basically until they drop.

Perron - Malkin - Bennett reminds me a little of Bennett - Malkin - Neal, only with a better player

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Perron - Malkin - Bennett reminds me a little of Bennett - Malkin - Neal, only with a better player

Don't get me wrong. IF I had my druthers . . .

Winnik/Downie-Sid-Horny
Perron-Geno-BeauBeau
Downie/Winnik-Spaling-Comeau
Kunitz-Sutter-Lappy

Alas, I'm trying to be a little realistic about speculative rosters, and Bennett in the top six and on RW just doesn't qualify in that regard with this organization. :cry:

EDIT: You know what, no BS. If I were a coach who wasn't a Beau fan stuck with this roster dilemma, when Geno comes back, I'd give Perron-Geno-Beau 3 regular season games. If it sticks, then great . . . one headache solved. If not, then everyone can ****.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Winnik-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Lapierre-Rust/Wilson/Sundqvist/Megna/forgotten WBS player or whatever combination, not Adams or Ebbett

Spaling as the 3C could be interesting but Sutter needs to be respected.

Martin-Letang
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Harrington/Dumoulin-Cole

CEC implodes and I continue to miss Maatta horribly. Tocchet weeps but Kunitz is off the PP.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Kuni on the 3rd with 3rd line minutes and 2nd PP, Scuds can be replaced by anyone. His strength is defending the rush and his weakness is everything else. If they're facing 3rd pairing competition, Pouliot, Cole, Harrington or Dumoulin would be fine.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kuni on the 3rd with 3rd line minutes and 2nd PP, Scuds can be replaced by anyone. His strength is defending the rush and his weakness is everything else. If they're facing 3rd pairing competition, Pouliot, Cole, Harrington or Dumoulin would be fine.

Ideally, like Sykora before him, Kunitz should be on the fourth line maybe playing on the 2nd PP. If he's going on a particular night, maybe you swap him and the L3 LW.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Winnik - Crosby - Hornqvist
Perron - Malkin - Comeau
Kunitz - Sutter - Bennett
Spaling - Lapierre - Downie

Could actually balance all 4 lines if Kunitz and Sutter could get their collective manure together.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Perron - Malkin - Comeau
Spaling - Lapierre - Downie

Could actually balance all 4 lines if Kunitz and Sutter could get their collective manure together.

I think that's how the top six turns out.

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
I'm all in for Downie getting a shot in the top 6 so I yank Kunitz and replace with Downie. I know people are gonna get all nuts about the penalties, but Downie has been such a positive it's almost criminal not to give him a shot at the top 6.

I'm with everyone else on Scuds, replace with anyone from Wilkes-Barre and move on.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I wouldn't bother replacing Kunitz. I'd just role 11 forwards and 7D every game.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Winnik-Crosby/Malkin-Lapierre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wouldn't bother replacing Kunitz. I'd just role 11 forwards and 7D every game.

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Bennett
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Winnik-Crosby/Malkin-Lapierre

I think honestly I would roll,

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Winnik - Malkin - Comeau
Spaling - Lappy - Downie

Judging by Winnik's game while on the line with Crosby, I think he'd look great in a Malone / Talbot roll with Malkin. Plus, he seemed like he had more chemistry with Comeau than Kunitz has.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think Downie is a top 6 forward anymore over the course of a full season due to being a psycho (which I love), his skating and battling injuries. But I think he'll end up being one of our better wingers come playoffs. MJ better play him ahead of Kunitz at that point.

Perron, PH and Downie with Winnik, Bennett and Comeau sprinkled in could work.

Wes Mantooth

Jun 4, 2008
Richmond, VA
Perron - Malkin - Downie
Comeau - Spaling - Bennett
Wilson - Sutter - Lapierre

Just replace Scuderi with Ehrhoff or if he's hurt Dumo/Harrington

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Scuderi is easily replaced internally. Kunitz is somewhat easily replaced in free agency (Vermette, Stafford, Stewart). For now, you play them and hope they don't totally destroy their summer trade value.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Jaden Lindo
F
Owen Sound (OHL)

Bros, He's got name that Kunitz and Scuderi don't bring to the lineup.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Bennett
Kunitz-Sutter-Downie
Spaling-Lapierre-Comeau

I have a feeling this will be close to the playoff lineup with Bennett and Comeau swapped.

D would be the same with Harrrington replacing Scuderi. Assuming Ehrhoff is done.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'd put Spaling as the 4C and move Lapierre to LW. Lapierre is a ****ing joke. Guy can't win faceoffs even though that's what he's touted to do and he's on the Tanner Glass level of possession suckdom.

I'd find a way to bench Lapierre/Adams in the playoffs.

4th line

Rust/Farnham - Spaling - Downie

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Top six:

Sid-Horny
Geno

Other 3 spots should be given to Perron, Winnik, Comeau, Downie or Bennett.
Just keep Kunitz the hell away from it and you'll be Gucci.

Bottom 6:

Who cares really. Just go with what works with Kunitz in the mix.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
Shea Weber and JVR... Ohhhh you meant who could we feasible get in return for them? A bag of pucks and used gift card to Dunkin donuts

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Perron - Malkin - Comeau
Downie - Spaling - Bennett
Farnham - Sutter - Lapierre

Martin - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Harrington - Cole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad