If you combine the last five draft classes into one, which players go top 5?

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
So we're talking 2016-2020. Assume that you're building around these players as rookies knowing what you know now. Obviously, this puts the more recently drafted players at a disadvantage, but feel free to factor in potential.

Notable players (there will be others - disclaimer: THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT, I just forgot them)
2016 - Matthews; Laine; M. Tkachuk; Keller; Fox
2017 - Hischier; Heiskanen; Makar; Pettersson
2018 - Dahlin; Svechnikov; B. Tkachuk; Q. Hughes
2019 - J. Hughes; Kakko; Dach
2020 - Lafreniere; Byfield; Stutzle

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Matthews
Makar
Fox
Heiskanen
Dahlin

Pretty D heavy for me. #5 spot can go a lot of ways. I think the Tkachuk brothers make a top 10 list but not top 5. Need another season of Laf/Stutzle though.

Reactions: Hockey Stick

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
No forward from 2017 on has been lights out killing it. So this is going to favor Matthews + the young D.

The question does a good job illustrating the difficulty curve for young forwards coming in these days. I find it really unlikely that four drafts in a row would have such weak forward groups as to not produce a top 20 player in the league yet. So maybe we should be patient instead of lighting up a lot of these guys as disappointments.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I rank them like this:

Makar
Matthews
Fox
Heiskanen
B. Tkachuk

Pettersson, Svechnikov, M. Tkachuk, and Stutzle are all close behind B.Tkachuk. Obviously that's a bit unfair for the younger guys that haven't had that same chance to prove themselves. Fox wasn't even a thing at their age. But you have to bet on the already elite guys.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I rank them like this:

Makar
Matthews
Fox
Heiskanen
B. Tkachuk

Pettersson, Svechnikov, M. Tkachuk, and Stutzle are all close behind B.Tkachuk. Obviously that's a bit unfair for the younger guys that haven't had that same chance to prove themselves. Fox wasn't even a thing at their age. But you have to bet on the already elite guys.

Stutzle isn't even on the level of the other guys you mentioned. Can't play defense and is a winger plus rookie season for a top 3 pick was average at best get real. Plus Pettersson >> B.Tkachuk any day of the week.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I rank them like this:

Makar
Matthews
Fox
Heiskanen
B. Tkachuk

> Brady Tkachuk better than Elias Pettersson
> aneurysms

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Stutzle isn't even on the level of the other guys you mentioned. Can't play defense and is a winger plus rookie season for a top 3 pick was average at best get real. Plus Pettersson >> B.Tkachuk any day of the week.

> Brady Tkachuk better than Elias Pettersson
> aneurysms

If Petey wasn't so fragile I would possibly think differently. Brady just seems to be the perfect player to have in a playoff run. I'd love to see it.

Stutzle ran out of gas but he showed me that he has the skill and intelligence to frequently score at the highest level, and he did it at a very young age. I'm willing to bet on him.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
If Petey wasn't so fragile I would possibly think differently. Brady just seems to be the perfect player to have in a playoff run. I'd love to see it.

Stutzle ran out of gas but he showed me that he has the skill and intelligence to frequently score at the highest level, and he did it at a very young age. I'm willing to bet on him.
45 point career high with decent advanced stats am I missing something plus he plays on the wing. Pettersson has 18 points in 17 playoff games. Look at the advanced stats for Pettersson their elite. Also Stutzle had the second worst play driving numbers in the NHL. His season was not that much better than Kakko's last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Matthews and Makar are probably the two easier ones. I would then lean Pettersson, Heiskanen, and Dahlin, although Svechnikov, Tkachuk, and McAvoy each could slip in there. Q Hughes and Fox have both shown promise but I'd like to see more than 1 great season to put them above some of those names. Matthew Tkachuk has been good but lacks the game breaking ability of some of these other players.

While I wouldn't consider them top 5 now, I do think when it's all said and done, Jack Hughes and Laine could both be in the top 5. No clue where I'd put Laf

Reactions: wetcoast

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Matthews
Makar
Fox
Heiskanen
Dahlin

Pretty D heavy for me. #5 spot can go a lot of ways. I think the Tkachuk brothers make a top 10 list but not top 5. Need another season of Laf/Stutzle though.
Dahlin over EP/Svech? Whaaat?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So we're talking 2016-2020. Assume that you're building around these players as rookies knowing what you know now. Obviously, this puts the more recently drafted players at a disadvantage, but feel free to factor in potential.

Notable players (there will be others - disclaimer: THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT, I just forgot them)
2016 - Matthews; Laine; M. Tkachuk; Keller; Fox
2017 - Hischier; Heiskanen; Makar; Pettersson
2018 - Dahlin; Svechnikov; B. Tkachuk; Q. Hughes
2019 - J. Hughes; Kakko; Dach
2020 - Lafreniere; Byfield; Stutzle

1. Matthews. Most accomplished so far, and arguably the best prospect of the bunch too (arguably with Dahlin and Lafreniere, but probably #1). No reason to dethrone him

2. Makar. It helps that you're asking this in 2021, vs in 2020 - a year ago he might not have been first defensemen. But it is what it is - norris finalist, insane offense, great playoffs, etc

3. Dahlin. I think he was the #1 prospect of the bunch - and that still counts. At his young age, potential is still sky high, and i could still see him ending up the best of the bunch.

4. Lafreniere. Incredibly disappointed in his rookie season, as I thought he was one of the most NHL-ready prospects of all-time. Hopefully it's just a rookie season though, and he performs much better next year. I think he does, so have him at #4

5. EP. Center helps. Write-off of a season this year, but he'd been great up to now, including playoffs last year, and still has very high ceiling.

Runner ups:

Fox, Hughes & Heiskanen in some order.

Stutzle is the one player i'm most afraid could make me eat crow. Could end up very high on this list - but haven't seen enough to have him surpass others yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad