If you combine the last five draft classes into one, which players go top 5?

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I rank them like this:

Makar
Matthews
Fox
Heiskanen
B. Tkachuk

Pettersson, Svechnikov, M. Tkachuk, and Stutzle are all close behind B.Tkachuk. Obviously that's a bit unfair for the younger guys that haven't had that same chance to prove themselves. Fox wasn't even a thing at their age. But you have to bet on the already elite guys.

tenor.gif

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
You know, I'm not a Matthews fan like at all but it's wild to think his draft was only 5 years ago

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Matthews and Makar are probably the two easier ones. I would then lean Pettersson, Heiskanen, and Dahlin, although Svechnikov, Tkachuk, and McAvoy each could slip in there. Q Hughes and Fox have both shown promise but I'd like to see more than 1 great season to put them above some of those names. Matthew Tkachuk has been good but lacks the game breaking ability of some of these other players.

While I wouldn't consider them top 5 now, I do think when it's all said and done, Jack Hughes and Laine could both be in the top 5. No clue where I'd put Laf

Generally agree and can’t believe that it took this long to mention Dahlin a 2nd time.

I guess a ton of people aren't looking big picture or really even how these players were viewed in their draft years.

Reactions: GOALOFSSON

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I figure Matthews and Pettersson both go top-5 because it's almost impossible to get a franchise center outside of the top-5. Then some combination of McAvoy, Makar, Heiskanen, Hughes, Dahlin and Fox rounds out the top-5.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Matthews Makar Heiskanen Fox for sure.

For number 5 it could be Svech or Pettersson for me. Could be Marner, Dahlin. Top four is easy, IMO.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
So we're talking 2016-2020. Assume that you're building around these players as rookies knowing what you know now. Obviously, this puts the more recently drafted players at a disadvantage, but feel free to factor in potential.

Notable players (there will be others - disclaimer: THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT, I just forgot them)
2016 - Matthews; Laine; M. Tkachuk; Keller; Fox
2017 - Hischier; Heiskanen; Makar; Pettersson
2018 - Dahlin; Svechnikov; B. Tkachuk; Q. Hughes
2019 - J. Hughes; Kakko; Dach
2020 - Lafreniere; Byfield; Stutzle

McCavoy is better than 90% of the players listed here.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
So we're talking 2016-2020. Assume that you're building around these players as rookies knowing what you know now. Obviously, this puts the more recently drafted players at a disadvantage, but feel free to factor in potential.

Notable players (there will be others - disclaimer: THIS IS NOT A SLIGHT, I just forgot them)
2016 - Matthews; Laine; M. Tkachuk; Keller; Fox
2017 - Hischier; Heiskanen; Makar; Pettersson
2018 - Dahlin; Svechnikov; B. Tkachuk; Q. Hughes
2019 - J. Hughes; Kakko; Dach
2020 - Lafreniere; Byfield; Stutzle

Silly thread .. these kids the last couple years have little experience with the 2 short Covid seasons

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In no order

Matthews
Pettersson
Makar
McAvoy
Heiskanen or Fox

Hm: Quinn Hughes, Svechnikov

Last edited: