If you belong to any kind of Union, let us hear your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkrause1971

Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
UAW-
The Owners did move a little on the cap being higher then before. I am not sure how so many post on this board feel that the owners should agree to one of these luxuary taxes. The cap is their one major chip and you know what? Maybe they really are that bad off financially and feel they must have it. We'll find out if they are willing to cancel a season over it won't we. I funny how so many so easily decide what is fair for each side when we have no idea of the majority of the information needed to decide. My friend is like "some of the good euros will leave", well hell if you don't have the money- you don't have the money.

Another point i constantly read on this board is how greedy the owners are for wanting a profit and how they clean house when they sell the team off. It all relative isn't it? Depends if they bought the team before the big 90's boom. I don't see the Gates, Dells and Allens jumping into the NHL which tells me its not that great an investment. Allen does even make money off the Trail Blazers. Rich boys with big toys is mainly it.

But back to the question- You cannot really judge this lockout until the breaking point of this season. I will believe the owners more if they cancel the season over this. Until, that point they are playing the one card they said they needed too. It will be bad negioating if Bettman didn't. As for the NHLPA- The last offer really wasn't anything longterm but got some PR buzz for them which is good.

I personally think the league in general is in that bad of shape. The NHL market sucks, the dollar is dropping in value, the economy sucks and now they don't have the expansion dollars to use toward salaries either.

Don

jacketracket*

I may be one of the few posters here who has actually been terminated from a job, due to having been nominated by co-workers to lead an unsuccessful attempt to unionize. Thanks to the NLRB, I was vindicated.

I was also a Teamster for several years.

Unions obviously exist to negotiate the best possible deal for their members. That said, good union leadership realizes when the company/industry they are negotiating with is in serious trouble --- trouble that could adversely affect the continued employment of it's members.

I honestly believe that the NHLPA recognizes the troubled position the league is in, and will eventually begin to negotiate some form of "cost certainty" (whether it's a cap, a strong luxury tax, ... ) with the league, once other concessions from the owners have been made.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
jacketracket said:
I may be one of the few posters here who has actually been terminated from a job, due to having been nominated by co-workers to lead an unsuccessful attempt to unionize. Thanks to the NLRB, I was vindicated.

I was also a Teamster for several years.

Unions obviously exist to negotiate the best possible deal for their members. That said, good union leadership realizes when the company/industry they are negotiating with is in serious trouble --- trouble that could adversely affect the continued employment of it's members.

I honestly believe that the NHLPA recognizes the troubled position the league is in, and will eventually begin to negotiate some form of "cost certainty" (whether it's a cap, a strong luxury tax, ... ) with the league, once other concessions from the owners have been made.
I knew there was a reason I didn't like you...unions suck!

jacketracket*

Seven_Nation_Army said:
I knew there was a reason I didn't like you...unions suck!
Zing!!

My compliments to whoever helped you with the big words.

Lanny MacDonald*

The union (brotherhood) that I work around (I am not a member) would not be happy about turning down a deal that helps 91% of the membership in favor of holding out for a deal that caters to the top 9%. The NHLPA is not really a union in the traditional sense but a collective body that allows for collusion amongst its members and those that service it.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
The Iconoclast said:
The union (brotherhood) that I work around (I am not a member) would not be happy about turning down a deal that helps 91% of the membership in favor of holding out for a deal that caters to the top 9%. The NHLPA is not really a union in the traditional sense but a collective body that allows for collusion amongst its members and those that service it.

about focking time someone admitted that the PA isn't a real union

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:

Besides, aren't actual unions supposed to negotiate contracts/wages for all their members?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
The union (brotherhood) that I work around (I am not a member) would not be happy about turning down a deal that helps 91% of the membership in favor of holding out for a deal that caters to the top 9%.

... and which deal offered cater to 91% of the union ???

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
John Flyers Fan said:
... and which deal offered cater to 91% of the union ???

I think that the point is that this argument is really about protecting the elite as opposed to the run of the mill NHL player from the union perspective. The vast majority of NHL players would be better off with a flat $1.3 million dollar salary for any player who was in the league. This is a battle to protect the minority of the union members, and it's costing the majority far more than they'll ever see in return.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mudcrutch79 said:
I think that the point is that this argument is really about protecting the elite as opposed to the run of the mill NHL player from the union perspective. The vast majority of NHL players would be better off with a flat $1.3 million dollar salary for any player who was in the league. This is a battle to protect the minority of the union members, and it's costing the majority far more than they'll ever see in return.

Under a hard salary cap it's the lower tiered players that suffer the most. The NHL owners are trying to entice the lower paid players, but if they fall fir it, they'll end up being the suckers.

Take a look at the NFL. It's not the stars that have seen their money drop. Stars still get paid like stars, and the lowered tierd players have to split what little there is left of the pie.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Take a look at the NFL. It's not the stars that have seen their money drop. Stars still get paid like stars, and the lowered tierd players have to split what little there is left of the pie.

So untrue. Scrubs get paid like scrubs.

The guys that get hurt are the over the hill and aging. The guys teams used to keep around because of what they used to be.

The star players are most certaintly taking less money. What would Peyton Manning be worth in a non cap NFL?

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The members of the NHLPA are doing the unthinkable.

Whenever you belong to a union and you are locked out or on strike it is inexcusable to take another job in your profession.

Any player playing in another league, taking a job away from another player, is no better then a scab.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
iagreewithidiots said:
So untrue. Scrubs get paid like scrubs.

The guys that get hurt are the over the hill and aging. The guys teams used to keep around because of what they used to be.

The star players are most certaintly taking less money. What would Peyton Manning be worth in a non cap NFL?

The "scrubs" you speak of, the 4th line 5-7th defenseman you speak of , the guys you think the NHL offers is better for, would see their salaries quickly drop to the $300K-$700K range, so that teams could afford to pay the Thornton's, Sundin's, Sakic's of the world.

The "so-called" scrubs wouldn't see the hit as part of the NHL's rollback, but it would be much worse for them, as their deals when expired would get slashed by 50% or more.

Manning contract is for an average of $14 million per season, and it included a $34.5 million signing bonus.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
The "scrubs" you speak of, the 4th line 5-7th defenseman you speak of , the guys you think the NHL offers is better for, would see their salaries quickly drop to the $300K-$700K range, so that teams could afford to pay the Thornton's, Sundin's, Sakic's of the world.
OH NO! The 4th liners would only make 300k-700k per season. Oh the humanity!

John Flyers Fan said:
The "so-called" scrubs wouldn't see the hit as part of the NHL's rollback, but it would be much worse for them, as their deals when expired would get slashed by 50% or more.
If thats whats being offered then thats what he has to play for, or so the PA boners always say.

John Flyers Fan said:
Manning contract is for an average of $14 million per season, and it included a $34.5 million signing bonus.
Yea no kidding. How much would he be worth with no cap?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
iagreewithidiots said:
OH NO! The 4th liners would only make 300k-700k per season. Oh the humanity!

If thats whats being offered then thats what he has to play for, or so the PA boners always say.

That was the whole point. The argument is that this is a good deal for the power paid NHL guys. No it isn't, the lower paid guys will get killed under a hard cap enviornment.

iagreewithidiots said:
Yea no kidding. How much would he be worth with no cap?
Manning would be worth more, but on a on a percentage basis, not nearly as much as other players. In an uncapped world Manning would probably get 18 million or so per year.

However if there was no cap Manning, age 28, wouldn't have as much leverage because he wouldn;t have become a UFA,

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
John Flyers Fan said:
However if there was no cap Manning, age 28, wouldn't have as much leverage because he wouldn;t have become a UFA,

That would be the same way Forsberg didn't manage to pull in a huge deal as a RFA, or Bure or Pronger or Jagr or Kariya etc etc etc.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
iagreewithidiots said:
The members of the NHLPA are doing the unthinkable.

Whenever you belong to a union and you are locked out or on strike it is inexcusable to take another job in your profession.

Any player playing in another league, taking a job away from another player, is no better then a scab.

Very true. Ironically, the group in all of this that should be held in the higest regard is the officials. They agreed from the onset to honor the lockout and not work until the NHL resumes play. Too bad the players don't see it the same way.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
That was the whole point. The argument is that this is a good deal for the power paid NHL guys. No it isn't, the lower paid guys will get killed under a hard cap enviornment.
You call 4th liners getting 300k-700k getting killed? Please thats more then fair.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
300k-700k isn't all that much when your making it for maybe 8-10 years and then you retire. Now, I could live on it, but I'm not a professional athlete in the best league in the world.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
300k-700k isn't all that much when your making it for maybe 8-10 years and then you retire. Now, I could live on it, but I'm not a professional athlete in the best league in the world.

well that's still 2.4M - 7 M dollars (using your figures) they will have earned by age 30. I happen to think these footsoliders (so to speak) are fairly paid as they are elite athletes in a competitive job environment, so this isn't a complaint...but I never really understand the 'short career' argument in isolation. I don't expect to retire completely by 35, and neither should they.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad