Speculation: If William Nylander walks, should the Leafs sign Steven Stamkos on a 2 year deal?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
With Nylander a pending UFA, the Leafs may not be able to give him the AAV/Term he is going to command. In other news, Stamkos hasn't been offered an extension in Tampa, so his future is uncertain there. While not a 1 for 1 replacement, Stamkos is still able to produce and could be a good guy to bring in on a short-term deal.

Is that an arrangement that makes sense?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Yea... I don't see why Stamkos would wanna sign in Toronto. I think it'd be Tampa, Florida, or another sunbelt team for him.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Why would he sign a 2 year deal though? I think he'll likely be looking at a 4 year deal minimum if he goes to free agency, and I doubt he plans to take a pay cut. Would the Leafs be prepared to offer him 4x8.5mil?

Reactions: dirtydanglez

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Why would he sign a 2 year deal though? I think he'll likely be looking at a 4 year deal minimum if he goes to free agency, and I doubt he plans to take a pay cut. Would the Leafs be prepared to offer him 4x8.5mil?

Hes taken payouts all career for Tampa and if he resigns with them, I could definitely see a Malkin contract.

As for anywhere else, yeah, he's won his cups, he probably wouldn't entertain a price drop if he is uprooting his family and lifestyle of the last 16 years

Reactions: Luck 6

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
No. If it’s not not obvious now, it should be. The leafs have roster issues and having a bunch offensive minded, non-physical, soft scoring forwards and nothing else is not going to get them anywhere.

They’d be making a huge mistake letting Nylander walk for nothing IMO. They need to try to keep him and if they can’t, shop him at the deadline. Giving up on a 1st line forward is insane.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Personally, I would not be rolling out the welcome mat for Steven Stamkos to return to Toronto to be a Leaf, get the bag, etc. and all that stuff.

There was a window in 2016, when he was a prime aged UFA, the Leafs were ready to give him everything and he would be a centerpiece on the still rebuilding team. He elected to take less, stay in Tampa, and the rest is history...

Now that he's won everything, and the reward for him in Tampa for a job well done is another Lightning discount? Well, Toronto should not be a fall back option.

The most straight forward solution is we re-sign Nylander and Stamkos stays where he is.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
After watching nylander pretty closely this season.

He’s a f***ing amazing player, Matthews might have more goals, but William has been the best Toronto Maple Leaf this season for sure.

He’s been dynamic, worth 10 mil plus

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
200w.gif

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If Toronto doesn't win at least 10 games in the playoffs this year, and they let Nylander walk - they will finally have cap flexibility for what will be the final year of Tavares' contract. I think that would allow them to make big changes and claim a new identity.

They could also win the cup and none of what I said even comes close to happening. More time needs to pass before we start thinking of what Toronto should or shouldn't do IMO.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
With Nylander a pending UFA, the Leafs may not be able to give him the AAV/Term he is going to command. In other news, Stamkos hasn't been offered an extension in Tampa, so his future is uncertain there. While not a 1 for 1 replacement, Stamkos is still able to produce and could be a good guy to bring in on a short-term deal.

Koptiar age 36 got a two year $7m AAV extension.

Stamokos, three draft years younger is going to command a four year $7m-$9m AAV contact.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

YES Stamkos and Tavares could become the Leafs dynamic duo.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad